Lower your bike for free! ...SLIMED

thealiasofMarc

Reaction score
Visit site
A few days ago I posted a thread describing how I wanted to lower my bike by about an inch. I thought it was going to cost me several hundred dollars between clip-on bars and a new rear shock spring... but last night I figured out a much simpler way to do it: just ride through a construction area!

This morning I walked out to my bike and noticed that the rear of my bike was about an inch lower than usual... sweet! I had wasted all that time coming up with an elaborate, technical plan on how to lower my bike by purchasing and installing parts, and all it took was a 2 inch wood screw! Genius. Why didn't someone think of it sooner?

Ok, so seriously, It was kind of depressing to see my baby injured and limping. I had to do something immediately... (after driving to school to take a test..) I went down to the good ole local Advanced Auto Parts and bought a plug kit, and a 16 oz bottle of Slime. Either one should have done the job separately, but I wasn't taking any chances. I don't exactly have $180 to throw down on a new rear tire/installation, especially when mine only has about 3k miles on it, so I had to do it on the cheap.

Plugging a tire is extremely quick and easy if you've never done it, and the Slime was just as easy, but it requires letting ALL the air out of your tire. (Lucky for me that had already been done for me..) The cap of the Slime bottle doubles as a valve core removal tool, so you just use it to unscrew the valve core (takes about 5 seconds) and then use the included bit of clear tubing to squirt the Slime into the tire through the hollowed out valve stem. It takes half a bottle (8 oz) to do one motorcycle tire, and the idea is that this stuff coats and seals the tire from the inside, kinda like a patch, but much easier. Also it is supposed to stay somewhat goopy inside the tire and continue working, should you have another puncture... patches don't do that.

I filled the tire back up to 36 psi and spun it to complete the Slime coating process. This is a good time to mention that I have this pretty sweet mini air compressor kit (also Slime brand) that is convenient to have for the bike.. Slime 40001 Power Sport Tire Inflator
--it includes a short harness that you screw down to the battery terminals, and leave hanging until you need to use the pump, at which point you just hook up the power cable to the harness via a quick connect and you're ready to go in seconds, no need to lift the tank each time -- I think that's pretty awesome. Here are some pics!

Cool deal. I don't know much about what to plug or not. I hear alot of guys here say not to plug and do plug so I don't really know for sure what to do or not do if I ever have a hole in my tire. But either way hope it works out and you get to get the moneys worth out of your tire. Take care.

This topic has been discussed many times before. Much like oil and break-in, it's one of those topics that everyone seems to have a different opinion on. Check these threads out for more info:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/garage-mechanical-help/3108-rear-tire-repair.html
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/992-slow-puncture-cannot-repaird.html

The only thing that I'd be really concerned about is that slime. How is it going to affect the tire balance at high speed? I'd take it easy for a few days until you get a good feel for how that stuff has affected the tire. Plus, what about later down the road when the slime dries out or gets lumpy, you're going to have more balancing issues then for sure. Personally I would just plug it and go on, but the slime.....that worries me.

FYI Slime and any of the other Fix-A-Flat type products are meant for temporary fixes only. I would of plugged the tire, but slime is just a no-no

I have the Slime compressor also. I always ride with it. However I personally don't use the Slime (goop) because while it should initially distribute evenly, what happens when the bike is inactive for periods of time (winter). It may clump and not resdistribute. I've rode on plugged nail holes in the past -- one tire for approx 10,000 miles after plugging it. I'm not so sure I'd do that again.

most shops I know of won't even consider plugging a tire. The contact patch with our tires isn't large, in comparison to car tires, and isn't nearly as flat/simple to plug. The rounded nature makes it much more stressful on a plug. If the plug gives out while you're in motion, then you'll be pretty angry with yourself for NOT replacing the tire, while you're paying hospital bills.

if there is a shop that is willing to patch a motorcycle tire they are asking to loose everything! What are you gonna do when that plug fails at 100mph? o yeah your going down and fast! it will be just a lil cheaper to spend the 180 than it would be to fix your bike thats if you survive... can't forget about funeral costs.... slime is not intended for a tubeless street tire. o and i feel bad for who ever gets to change your tire..... that is gonna be one nasty mess! you wanna be cheap and patch tires go buy a go cart.... if you cant afford the tire you cant afford the bike thats all there is to it.... dont mean to be harsh but life is harsh and its a reality!!!

Last edited:
I got a puncture at 2000km 4 years ago, and put slime in it. i now have 7000km on her and the slime is 3 years old, no balance problems, no problems so far. I have riden at 190km/h, and the tyre has not lost any air. I know everones argument to it, but it does work. I feel sorry for how ever has to change the tyre, cause they will hate me.

Back