Lets Stubby your Exhaust! ;)

MitchellsFZ6

Truly obsessed with bikes
Reaction score
Visit site
Good evening Forum Members :')

Just thought I would add a thread on how to shorten an aftermarket or stock exhaust. Although it isnt even a Yamaha or an FZ6, the principle is exactly the same :).
Basically, before you ask what happened to the can, as with all Suzukis; they rust at the first sign of water and salt ;). The downpipes are a sealed unit which convert the 4 into 1 and then onto the link pipe. The link pipe connector rusted through completely and then snapped, the link pipe then got caught under neath his wheel and then bent the can -,-
It sounded good whilst the can was off anyway, haha.

I better get on with putting some pictures up here, I guess :)

I have 9 pictures attached down below, if you look at them from left to right.. Since I can number them -,-
The first picture is of the damaged can, as you can see its been dented basically throughout.

The second picture is obviously the close up of the can with the line drawn to inidcate where to cut

The third picture has now had the rivets drilled out, the metal band taken off and the glue removed to be able to take the connector off at the end of can.

The fourth picture is a close up of the inside of the can, we've removed the packing and cleaned the inside with IPA and water to make sure there isn't any fibreglass left in there. You can also see that there is the perforated Steel tubing, this then splits into two with the packing around it.

The fifth picture has now been cut down and had the edges sanded down with the Dremel for the best finish.
You can also see the Steel Tubing splitting into two.
I forgot to take a picture at this point but we drilled out the outleft rivets, took this away and were then able to cut down the Steel Tubing inside.

The sixth picture now has the Link Pipe connector alreayd riveted back onto the rest of the can.
It took us along time and many cutting discs but we got through the 2Mm Steel tubing with the Dremel and this is the end result.

The seventh picture is the completed can, everything has been riveted into place.
We didn't take a picture of the packing, which I probably should have done, but when we removed the packing from the can in the first place, we put it into a bag and put it to one side. We then re-used this packing in the stubby can, we wrapped this around the outlet tubing.
With the picture you really can see the difference between being cut and being stock. We were already happy with our handywork at this point, haha.

The last two pictures are very self explanatory :).
I am very happy with how the can has turned out and so is my mate :).
We're even more impressed with the sound, he couldn't properly test it out due to the English weather, its always nice ;) but he did say that he couldn't really feel any loss of acceleration or power.

Cheers guys.
This was my first time for doing this, so let me know how I've done and I'm sure I'll be doing more of these "How To's"

MitchellsFZ6

MitchellsFZ6

Truly obsessed with bikes
Reaction score
Visit site
Haha
Yeah I know, I thought it was quality myself ;)

Basically we couldnt be bothered with finding the bracket for it, so we found some wire and let it hang there.

Hope you dont mock my How To guide too much :spank:

MitchellsFZ6

Hoshiko

Hoshiko
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks nice. I did something similar to my bike, the original exhaust was as big as a water boiler, now you can actually see the wheel and the sound is just little bit louder then original.