Just bought my FZ6!! but theres a slight problem with my throttle...

Ryan Ghaida

Reaction score
Visit site
i just purchased a used 2006 Fz6 w/ a two brothers exhaust and a naked front light conversion for 4000$ the other day. Was probably the most exciting day of my life (first bike lol). I have ridden dirtbikes and my fathers CBR600rr before but this is my first bike that i bought. I thought everything was great untill i noticed that the throttle is VERY sticky when i turn left (full turn). when the handlebars are straight or tuned right the throttle seems fine but if i turn left mroe than 2 inches the throttle sticks completely. I figured its probably the throttle cables being dirty or needing adjustments but idk if i should try to fix this myself (if tis easy that is) or if i should take it to a dealership and pay however much it would cost. Thanks for the feedback.

P.S. will be uploading pics of her soon!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
First off welcome to the forum!!!! I'm sure you will find this place invaluable to you and your bike, as for your problem it sounds like a simple over tightened throttle cable to me, or something is binding when turned to the left.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
If you just bought it, I'd take it and see if they'd fix it for free. You were sold the bike under the impression that it worked fully I presume?

If not, it's more than likely, like Fazer said, just a binding cable when you turn to the left. Check the run and see if anything's catching.

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
i would check with the owner/dealer and talk it up with them to fix it for free as mentioned ( you watch over the work being done as otherwise corners may be cut when fixing is done for free).

it may be a case of a badly routed cable that is binding, if you are willing to tinker with it,you would have to raise the tank and check the cable thouroughly for kinks, sharp bends, torn housing etc.

if its badly routed i would take the cable off the throttle grip as it would be easier to install later and give it a better path.

lazerfazer

Reaction score
Visit site
those of you trying to convince him to have the dealership fix it for free maybe under the wrong impression. No where in his original post did he say he bought it from a dealer, my guess is that he bought it from a private party. His question was basically is the problem too complex to DIY or for safety precautions have a license mechanic at a dealership handle the adjustment.

if this is your first bike, i would suggest having someone with more bike knowledge fix it, or have a licensed mechanic make the adjustment at the dealership, don't skimp on your safety dude, this is a bike, not a cage with air bags, and seat belts. Plus the throttle is one of the major instigator of trouble on a bike.

you don't want to be in the midst of a left turn and have the throttle unintentionally pinned wide open, your bike will be back on craigslist before you know it:thumbup:

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First off; welcome to the forum. There is not better place to be on the net!

I would tend to agreee with those above that your cable is likely routed improperly: especially given the fact that the previous owner completed a headlight conversion.

The cable should be routed to the left side of the steering stem (Left side as you are sitting on the bike).

Have it checked out, sticking throttle is losing scenario.

Ryan Ghaida

Reaction score
Visit site
@lazerfrazer yea your right i bought it off some husky 40 year old guy on craigslist going through a midlife crisis im presuming (similar to my father) :rolleyes: . i think i will be taking it to a motorcycle repair shop, and have them check everything on the bike just to make sure everything is OK aka seals ,pressure and fluid levels etc. how much do you think it should cost me if i just want them to check the bike overall and also adjust the throttle cable? like 150-200$? b/c my funds are getting strained as it is lol

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cable is a double pull type and it must have slack in it or it will bind even if routed correctly. Under the throttle grip is an adjuster just for this purpose. Loosen the jamb nut and add a tiny bit of slack/free play but it very likely should have the proper lubrication applied too. It should "snap back" instantly from any steering position with the engine on or off.

Aside from that I highly recommend you get used to the search function and drop in these key words "Service Manual" and "Owners Manual". Both can be found here and you can read about how to do these things yourself. If the task at hand is beyond your skill set or comfort level to perform, ask for help and/or get a professional involved.

Welcome and please download the manual so you can give this bike the attention needed for safe operation!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
@lazerfrazer yea your right i bought it off some husky 40 year old guy on craigslist going through a midlife crisis im presuming (similar to my father) :rolleyes: . i think i will be taking it to a motorcycle repair shop, and have them check everything on the bike just to make sure everything is OK aka seals ,pressure and fluid levels etc. how much do you think it should cost me if i just want them to check the bike overall and also adjust the throttle cable? like 150-200$? b/c my funds are getting strained as it is lol

:welcome:to the best forum on the Big WWW!

Where in Jersey are you? We have quite a few members in Jersey. As mentioned this is an important safety issue and should be addressed right now. Lets see if we can get a Jersey member with some skills to pop up.
Maybe we can get you economical qualified help on this.

Yo Jerseyites!!!!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Where in Jersey are you? We have quite a few members in Jersey. As mentioned this is an important safety issue and should be addressed right now. Lets see if we can get a Jersey member with some skills to pop up.

Yo Jerseyites!!!!!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Yo Jerseyites!!!!!

njbill

Reaction score
Visit site
First thing I would check is if the po installed bar risers. Installing bar risers is a sure-fire way to stress a throttle cable.

Ryan Ghaida

Reaction score
Visit site
Im from Central Jersey live at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, lol and no wheelies for me just yet, im still just enjoying the freedom :Sport:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay, simple check. The throttle cables are routed in front of the forks to the left side of the bike and then they run under the tank to the left side of the throttle body. So, if you were to put the bike on the stand and turn the handle bars left and right, it should look something like this.

The cables will be way out front with tons of slack with the bars turned to the left, as you turn to straight you should see about 3-4 inches of room (unless the guide thingy is still installed with the cables through it) and as you turn right the cables should just about reach full extension although you should still have a hair of slack.

You've been riding for awhile (albeit on dirt bikes) so I doubt the whole countersteering thing is messing you up, so I'd look to see if the PO didn't route the cables behind the forks or something cause he thought it "looked cool". There, *cough* isn't enough slack to do that and you get those same symptoms.

Then if that doesn't fix it, and you're feeling ambitious, check and see if something is pinning the throttle body when you turn left for some reason. :don'tknow: