interesting experience on Craigslist tonight

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
So I was posting up a classified ad of my bike on Craigslist, which I've decided to sell. My writeup was fairly lengthy, discussing the general merits of the FZ6, some details around the mods I'd done, condition of the bike, some competitive analysis of what similar bikes people may consider, a bit on why I'm selling it. I'm in marketing, so I guess it is in my blood to be wordy, although I felt everything I had written was fair, valuable, interesting, and useful to a prospective buyer.

What I found was that Craigslist has a feature where readers can "flag" ads they don't like, and if enough of them do it, the ad is automatically removed. I suppose the original intent was to flag people abusing with scams, spammers, etc. But it has evolved to there being an unwritten convention of what a Craigslist classified ad looks like, and if you end up straying from that format, users rise up against your ad and delete it. This behavior is apparently particularly prevalent in the motorcycle classifieds.

So I got an automatic note from Craigslist saying this had happened, and it pointed me to a FAQ and forum for more information. You can post questions to the forum (which is just volunteer users) and ask why it might have been deleted. I did this, and numerous volunteers flamed me in quite a rude manner for being so wordy. I was happy to at least get an idea of what was wrong with my ad so I could repost it.

But I did walk away from the whole experienced sort of puzzled by what the Craigslist community is all about.
* First: why does anyone care if my ad is wordy? If it's too long, don't read it. It's to my own disadvantage if I write so much that no one bothers to read it through to the end to get my contact information. It's not like my wordy ad is crowding out some other ad, as a large ad in a newspaper might do. But the Craigslist community seems offended by wordy ads.
* Second: who are the people in this forum that helped me understand why my ad was flagged? I was grateful to them as they enabled me to keep using the site, but I couldn't understand why they would bother. They were rude to me, and from the tone of other threads about other posts, it looked like in general, the whole forum was some kind of flame-fest and pretty contentious. How much fun is that? Are these people that get off on being more knowledgeable than the questioner and denigrating them for it? It was the only answer I could think of.

So I did learn some things about Craigslist, and discovered a whole new usage model of the internet community. Nothing like the fine folks who inhabit this site!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Too many syllables Man! Too many syllables! Hahaha!

That does sound really weird. Maybe they protect the people with lower word skill quotients. Yeah they can't have people who speak and write English compete with the sales force of 'Limited Word Skill Quotients" WTF!

Okay...That's it! Everyone on our site, let's go over to Craig's List and sell stuff. Make sure you tell them all about it and what relation it has to our intergalactic travel across the universe......Well.....? What are we waiting for!?!?

(Mob sounds) As every one on our site grabs pitchforks, sickles, shovels, hoes and IP addresses and rushes to Craig's List and launch a DNS attack......Hahahaha!

Sorry....:spank:

That is weird....

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Why are you posting your bike on Craigs List?

Everybody knows that if you want to sell your FZ, this forum is the place to do it. More FZ's have been sold and bought here than on Ebay and Craigs list combined.

westgoingzax

I ride a motorcycle
Reaction score
Visit site
What a strange experience. I have purchased a few things on Craigslist over the years and the one-line ads without pictures always puzzle me. Do you want me to buy what you have? Then tell me about it. I don't want to guess you have what I'm looking for.

I'd be interested to see what demographics were flagging your ad and responding to your question.... 13-14 year old boys with ADHD?

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
What a strange experience. I have purchased a few things on Craigslist over the years and the one-line ads without pictures always puzzle me. Do you want me to buy what you have? Then tell me about it. I don't want to guess you have what I'm looking for.

I'd be interested to see what demographics were flagging your ad and responding to your question.... 13-14 year old boys with ADHD?

There is no way of knowing the demographic. You don't have to be "logged in" to CL to flag a post. The flagging options are "miscategorized", "prohibited", and "spam/overpost". None of those are "this guy pisses me off because he is too wordy." Probably it's getting the "spam/overpost" flag, although I'm sure that is intended to refer to someone who is posting his ad a dozen times, not someone who has too much text in his ad.

Craigslist doesn't expose how many users have to flag a post before it is removed. It varies per region and category as well. In the forum that was simultaneously helping and flaming me on this topic, I saw some posts where hundreds of people had flagged some other post. I also noticed in the forum that ads get flagged off if you price too high. So what if you price too high - it won't sell. But why does it need to be removed? All very strange.

The whole idea of users self-policing to remove Nazi paraphenalia etc is a good idea, but it seems to have been hijacked and is going somewhat astray.

My new reduced wordiness ad has lasted at least 14 hours at this point...

ZRXINLA

formerly red06fz6
Reaction score
Visit site

Everybody knows that if you want to sell your FZ, this forum is the place to do it. More FZ's have been sold and bought here than on Ebay and Craigs list combined.

Actually, I sold my FZ and my Honda shadow on craigslist with no issues whatsoever. I had posted on many classified sites but Ive found that craigslist is the best. Just be short and to the point on the description. It's also a good idea to post a phone number on the ad.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure how one would know how many FZs have been sold on CL, vs here, vs ebay, but to the OP: that's messed up! Could you copy/paste your original ad here so we could read it? I'd be curious to see what ppl were so rude about...

sxty8goats

Reaction score
Visit site
The whole idea of users self-policing to remove Nazi paraphenalia etc is a good idea, but it seems to have been hijacked and is going somewhat astray.

My new reduced wordiness ad has lasted at least 14 hours at this point...

There is also many who will flag adds of competing sales. I had this problem with a set of Vedder lower faring I was trying to sell. There was another set on there that stayed up for a week. nearly identical price. I don't think it takes many flags to knock an add out. I re-posted the add identically (I compose in textpad and save them) a week later and had no issue with flagging. Flagged adds should be reviewed by a craig's list employee.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
That's annoying.

Make sure you post it in the for sale by owner motorcycle section as opposed to for sale by dealer.

Another tip: use inline pictures that are hosted somewhere else (such as flickr) if possible. The pictures will be much bigger and much higher quality and you can use them to break up the text. Makes for a much better ad IMO.

So is there a thread somewhere discussing your final decision to sell the FZ6?

What were you smoking when you wrote this?

C-bus Biker

Reaction score
Visit site
Oh the Craigslist Cops are an interesting bunch. I know I sleep better when they post that the other guy's Hyosung isn't really worth the $8,000 asking price.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
You should list the bike on barf and SBR to gain some local interest with no need to keep posting every week and without the scammers and low-ballers that you'll find on CL.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear that your listing got flagged. I've never heard about this sort of extreme behavior -- flagging appropriate ads as a sort of sales tactic. I've seen the self-righteous (and likely self-appointed) keepers of the ads do their thing in the bicycle listings. They're really very troll-like; ever-present in a creepy way. It makes me wonder when they work.

I've mentioned this before in other threads, but I work in software design. Where I work, "social computing" is a big buzz notion these days. And personally, as someone who studied social/cultural anthropology in university, this kind of behavior is interesting to observe as it emerges and starts to move through the culture, though I'm sure it can't be pleasant to experience.

I read a post on the BBC the other day by a tech reporter who got the stink-eye from a panel moderator for checking his blackberry while he sat on the panel. His contention was that he wasn't checking his email, but having a conversation with members of the audience via twitter. So he was being rude to them as he "chatted" with them.

To be perfectly honest, I've actually flagged ads, but only when it's an obvious mistake: such as a motorcycle in the bicycle section -- and the seller is not trying to trade it for a bicycle...

I'm sorry you're having to sell your bike. I read the other thread about this decision. It can't have been an easy one to make.

ant_mb

Super *********
Reaction score
Visit site

Really? I'm almost certain that is 100% wrong!

Craigslist is a really great tool to sell locally, and it's free! I've sold many things there and was happy with them all. I'd suggest you try and post it again and see what happens.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, so I may have over exaggerated a bit, but there have been many bikes posted and sold though this forum. One that I know personally that I help broker.

Just like when members part out their bike, they vanish damn quick on this forum from my observation. Yeah, a bike is going to be a much tougher sell, but I've seen many posted and vanish.

Goop

Chips & Dip
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe post it on Craigslist complete with bad grammar and spelling. I'll bet they'll approve of your ad:

"For Sail - FZ6 motorcycle! I have to sell it because my mom said so,,, $5000 obo. Serios byers only! No Flakes!"

;)

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Or this ad: "For sale: FZ6 motorcycle. If you never owned one you suck. I'm practically giving it away for $5000."

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
So is there a thread somewhere discussing your final decision to sell the FZ6?

That thread is:
http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/24939-advisability-occassional-riding.html

Related to the comment of selling FZ6s on this site: I wouldn't think this would be a good place to sell them. Most people on the site already have one and only a couple of us need more than one. When I knew I wanted one, I poked around on this site a bit, but it didn't occur to me to search the "For Sale section." The locality of Craigslist trumps all.

Could you copy/paste your original ad here so we could read it? I'd be curious to see what ppl were so rude about...

Here's my original offensively-long posting. It does dis women drivers a bit, although I figured my target demographic was males who would probably relate. I also find when reading a craigslist ad, I personally prefer the ones where a little bit of the personality of the poster shows through. I feel I can sometimes "sense" some honesty in the person - makes me feel more comfortable in dealing with them. I tried to convey a bit of that. I also added in a pretty large section on the FZ6 in general - I thought that some people would hit my post because I reference SV650 in it, and they might find it interesting to know what the FZ6 is all about in a general sense.

The FZ6 is a stand-out value in the mid-range sport/sport-touring category. Owners love it due to its sporty R6-derived heritage, with the comfort of an upright riding position found in sport-tourers like the FJR. It is an excellent do-everything commuter, tourer, and twisty-carver. Some owners race them on tracks, too. At 98hp, it has more than enough power for any realistic riding scenario. The engine is tuned in such a way that it is fairly sedate under 8k rpm, which minimizes the chances of accidental wheelies and makes cruising around town a relaxing endeavor. Between 8k and 14k rpm (redline), it is a screaming performance machine – hold on tight when the twist the throttle! From a performance point of view, it’s a Dr Jekyl/Mr Hyde thing – you can have both personalities in a single bike. It is an inline four cylinder 600cc, which results in very smooth power delivery, especially compared to twins. On the practical side, it has a larger-than-normal tank size (5.1 gallons) for its class, a fuel gauge (surprising that similar priced bikes don’t come with this “accessory”) and a center stand for easy maintenance. It’s a great 2nd bike that many people keep for years after spending a few months on a “beginner bike”, as it has so much capability, there is lots of room to grow into. Some buy it as a first bike as well, but it may be a bit much for that.

I’ve had mine for about two years, as the second owner. I’ve put about 8k miles on it, before “family reasons” require that I search out new interests (that probably doesn’t need any more explanation). I’ve enjoyed every mile of it!

The bike is in very good condition. No problems whatsoever (any type of problems is pretty uncommon on this model). Has a minor scratch on the fairing and mirror from when it tipped over in the driveway once. I’ll send a picture upon request, or if you see it person, you’ll agree it is a non-issue. Has always been in the garage, never been in an accident.

I’ve upgraded numerous things for safety:
• Angel-eye projector High Intensity Discharge Xenon headlights (similar to what BMW cars have). This upgrade also allowed both bulbs to be either high or low (the stock configuration is that one light is always low and the other is only high). The bulbs are piercingly bright – it gets the attention of cars in front of you.
• Brake-light LEDs. These very bright LEDs flash for five seconds when the brake is applied, and then go solid red. Attention getting for cars behind.
• Frame and swingarm sliders. Little knobs of plastic intended to prevent damage to the frame if the bike goes down. Should be the very first thing you do to a bike, it can save so much money in repairs.
• Fiamm “Freeway Blaster” horn. The stock horn is pretty wussy, and I wouldn’t count on it catching the attention of a Suburban driver who is simultaneously texting, on the phone, drinking a coffee, and applying her makeup. The Freeway Blaster will get her attention. It sounds like a semi’s horn.
• Blind spot eliminator second set of mirrors.
• “Pod light” blinkers. There is a little spot to the outside of the headlights intended to have a running light, but the stock version doesn’t have them installed. I have some bright LEDs installed there, which can be set to flash, solid, or off. I added them to enhance visibility, but the projector HIDs pretty much take care of that.
• The bike comes with a spare windshield, which is 11” taller than the stock shield (CalSci +11). It sure does change the look of the bike, but does an excellent job of reducing wind blast and noise. It is the shield that I used all the time because it makes the ride so comfortable, although the stock shield is on now. Both come with the bike, so you can try out which you prefer.
• Comes with a fabric cover.
• Tires are only a couple months old.

I have some other accessories I’m intending to sell separately, but if you were interested we could work out a bundled price:
• 46-liter Shad hard top-case. This lockable box hangs off the back of the bike. Easily fits two helmets. Great for stowing riding gear when getting to the destination, or putting your shopping in it. One bike picture shows the base plate, another shows the entire case. Both will be removed prior to sale unless you would also like to add the case to the purchase.
• CoreTech tailbag and saddle-bag set. Sturdy canvas construction, matches color of bike, easy to put on/remove. One of the pictures shows the tail bag.
• Shoei X-11 helmet. Was top of the line when I got it three years ago. Very good venting, keeps the head cool when hot.
• Two sets of riding boots, one typical of racing gear quality and protection, one more casual.
• Racing style riding gloves
• Fluorescent green high visibility vest
• Two-piece textile riding suit with soft armor.
• Back protector.
• Bar risers – moves the handlebar up 1” and back 1” – for a more comfortable riding position.
• A small tank bag
• A magnetic map holder for tank
• A second set of tires

Some comparable bikes include:
• Suzuki SV650, SV650S: The SV is more sport-oriented than the FZ6. You’ll be leaned more over the tank, with more of your body weight supported on the wrists, not as comfortable for longer rides. No gas gauge. As a twin, it has different engine characteristics (more torquey/lurchy, more vibration, less power, less acceleration at speed, deeper sound). It’s a matter of preference. http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-...64-narrowed-my-selection-down-3-opinions.html
• Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. Has the same upright and comfortable riding stance of the FZ6. Both are good practical street bikes, but it’s a question of which other “second personality” you prefer: the FZ6 is more oriented towards performance, and DL650 is a little more oriented towards off-road capability (it is quite tall and has a high center of gravity, resulting in reported feelings of top-heaviness). Has the same engine as the SV650, so there is again the twin-vs-I4 as described above.
• Kawasaki Ninja(s). People who’ve owned both consider the Ninja to have a lower build quality. Quite a few opinions on this topic here: http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/25432-convince-me.html

If interested, contact Toby via the anonymous email link or 925-314-9957.

Test rides with cash in hand, valid M1 license, and experience riding this type of bike before. If you break it, you buy it!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site

Dude- you selling a bike or a book? Remember KISS (keep it simple stupid). When I read adds on craigslist I know what I am looking for (type of bike, year, color and miles). Any other info I can get by contacting the seller.

Last edited by a moderator: