how long did you valve adjustment take?

fazer.rider

Reaction score
Visit site
hi, so i described the ticking sound to a mechanic and he told me it could mean the valves need adjustment. he told me it could take 8 hrs. mind you, this is a small shop that charges $60/hr. i called a yamaha dealer which charges $85/hr and the girl on the phone told me it takes 3 hrs. i thought the dealer would charge more.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i have been quoted 3 hours before, they also told me that if the bike starts right up and doesn't smoke then the valves are probably fine and not to bother.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, when we get this settled (how much time to adjust valves) let me/us know so I can know how much beer--er, I meant time---I'll need to complete the first-time FZ6 DIY operation (I think I'm going to make it a first-time DIY--I once adjusted valves on a '71 Honda CB 350).

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so basically i should take what dealer said with a grain of salt and trust my independent mechanic instead?

Trust whoever you trust...

My dealer turned my $ away when i brought a bike in to have them adjusted on my old bike.

I called a smaller shop today because i was bored and they told me that it would take about 3 hours. I am sure adjusting them will make the bike run smoother and have better response, but i would be weary of anyone that takes a shot in the dark at a noise without any diagnostics.

How many miles on your bike? They aren't even supposed to need checking until 26000 miles according to the manual.

Ravenfz09

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, when we get this settled (how much time to adjust valves) let me/us know so I can know how much beer--er, I meant time---I'll need to complete the first-time FZ6 DIY operation (I think I'm going to make it a first-time DIY--I once adjusted valves on a '71 Honda CB 350).

i highly doubt ud be the 1st

Tedward

Reaction score
Visit site
I did my '86 in probably.. 3 to 3.5 hours all together, never having had done an engine this complex and figuring it out as I went (with manual). This includes replacing 4 shims. I could probably do it again in 2ish hours now that I know what I'm doing.

I can do my CBR in 30 minutes but it's much more simple.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I read the service manual procedure for this bike and even though there may be shortcuts to doing this, they have a chart for the correct shim and then you go to the dealer for the shim hoping of course that they have the correct shim/shims for you. I'm giving this job a 1-1/2 days plus beers rating:iconbeer::iconbeer::iconbeer::iconbeer:

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Problem is that the way you find out is a bear....

I think these bikes stay pretty good as far as the valves go but if a valve has too close a tolerance you want to get it taken care of. Probably after 24k and you do them, they'll probably keep to tolerance for the life of the motor.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have 32K on my bike, and I have not had them done yet. Based on other threads, the members who had them done around the recommended mileage, they have all been within specs. So I have decided to delay the inspection.

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
i will also delay mine until around 30k miles, purely because everyone who has checked seemed to be within limits, unless i get bored and feel the need to dismantle something lol :ban:

S

Shamus McFeeley

It took me about 1 1/2 hours to tear the bike down and take measurements. It took another hour to remove the cams and replace the one shim that needed adjustment. Another 1 1/2 hours approx to put it all back together.