Hit a Wallaby Friday night

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
Riding in the dark at Halls Gap Friday night I hit a Wallaby at about 80kph. It was a dumb place to be riding on a hot summers night as it is a national park. Various circumstances lead me to be doing it and I have paid the price.
Strangely I stayed upright.
I didn't lock the brakes or swerve and it happended so quickly, I believe the lights on high beam attracted it. The Wallaby is similare to a kangaroo but has longer hair / fur and not quite as big.
Initially I thought I would be thrown off and felt my body go loose when I hit it, I believe it weighed about 45 kg.

I don't have any pics as I left the bike up there and won't be going back until next Sunday. However, here is the damage and I would like some advice from anyone else who has had radiator damge.
Front mudguard destroyed - are these expensive?
Radiator pushed back on left hand side and into the frame, silver side protector was squashed up against frame.
Slight crack in radiator pipe where hose goes to oil cooler but I plugged this with some liquid metal Saturday and rode 250km to a mates house where I have left the bike.
Plastic radiator guard fell off.

Can I get another set of top and bottom radiator brackets or has anyone straighted theirs out after a crash.

Basically the Wallaby hit my front guard, squashed the radiator back against the frame and swung around and hit my leg below the knee. I wear Berik full length boots and they saved my leg which is still sore and a bruise is coming out. Whithout the boots, I know my leg would be broke.

I'd appreciate any advice on the repair, I think the radiator is saveable and will get it welded. Still pretty shook up but I didn't come off and that is to me a blessing ffrom above.
Cheers,
Rumps

ps. couldn't save the wallaby, park rangers took it to a shelter but the Fazer nailed it.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What did you have against Rocko?

520788.jpg

J/K, good to see you and your bike are still in good shape. My radiator brackets were bent a little in my crash, and they went right back to normal with a pair of pliers.

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! Good to hear you are ok. Deer out here are the same way, seems like they wait til you get close and then try to cross the road.
Joe:thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Can't tell you much about your damage but just glad your going to be okay Rumps! Geez that had to be a scary moment. Seems like dusk, early morning and night are the risky times with a lot of animal life.
Hope you heal up fast!

Last edited:

Humperdinkel

Resident Rumologist
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your OK Rumps :thumbup:

As for the damage , well it sounds pricey was it insured ???

And yeah Cliff the Aussie wildlife is most active at Dawn/Dusk & a lot are nocturnal :( , some parts of Oz you would be mad to even think of riding from sunset to sunrise..... We breed our Skippy's tough in the bush :D
Utezilla.jpg

Last edited:

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
dont insure my bikes mate, I know, I know.
Anyone down under replace a front mudguard?
Looks like I can straighten the radiator brackets and the radiator isn't bent, just the side protector.

Yeah. Skippy the bloody bush kangaroo aye.
Could have been worse as there are deer in the Grampians national park so I found out that night as well after the crash I slowed down and took in the sights for the remaining 50 km to halls gap. saw Bambi and she was bigger than a donkey!

Heart goes out to anyone who has hit a deer.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad your OK Rumps :thumbup:
Utezilla.jpg

Holy bush bunny Batman!

Man I'd love to have that on my property but I doubt the wife would understand.
I like the way they used a car for the body, very creative.

I suspect in the dark they look almost that big in your headlights.

Glad you didn't go down rumps, these animals should just stay :rant:eek:ff the road.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Both Mikey & myself can attest to driving throug the Grampian's after, or even near dark...it's like a Wallaby, & Kangaroo "Shooting gallery"! Bugger!

Glad your OK, sorry your bike copped it. If the front fender is smashed, i reckon you will find the forks are a bit twisted...easily straightened.

As for a front fender, they cost between $200 - $300 from Yamaha Australia, from memory.

Go the cheap and stronger option, get a CF front fender...only about $120 on E-bay, and they are common.

:thumbup:

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
Working on a carbon fiber look for my bike. I just checked and saw a CF fender for 129 USD. Glade you have to fix the bike and not yourself. Stop hitting stuff I have never seen in real life.

gpostarmy

Reaction score
Visit site
OK, did a little looking and found over on SBN that you can also us the FZ1 front fender will work with our bike, but requires some modding.

Rumpole of the Bailey

Reaction score
Visit site
found a carbon front fender for US$120 plus $35 postage to Oz, bargain and the start of a carbon fibre look. Heading up North Sunday to start fixing the bike and remove radiator etc. Will post some pics on monday.:thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
found a carbon front fender for US$120 plus $35 postage to Oz, bargain and the start of a carbon fibre look. Heading up North Sunday to start fixing the bike and remove radiator etc. Will post some pics on monday.:thumbup:

Cant beat the CF IMHO! I had a drunken pedestrian walk straight out in front of me at 60km/h, and the force of the impact ripped my headlight in 2, twisted my forks, etc, etc, and the CF front fender...not a sign of any distress!!! and it took it harder than a catholic schoolboy in detention!

:eek:

ozzieboy

Avid 4WD Hunter
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy carp mate. Only just saw this thread. glad you're OK. Go to the Grampians for boingers I reckon. I saw deer, possums, emus and even managed to nail a kangaroo in the scone with my shoulder before I even got to my Motel. Skippy had a head like a coconut, I'm telling you:spank:.

I had my radiator bracket bent a smidge when I was nearly made a hood ornament for a turbo toy on the blue beast. I just grabbed it and bent it back, but mine wasn't very bent.

Hope you can get it all sorted OK.:thumbup: