Help! Bike won't start after Leo Vince install?

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I think we should all assume that while trying to fix it he got fed up with it, decided to drench it in gas but, realizing its the best bike in the world, he decided to take his lit match and drop in on the pile of wood and drink beer around the fire until the problem solved itself.:Flip:

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
And then lit a cigarette, walked over to his bike to think for a min, forgetting that it was drenched in gas and they both spontaneously combusted....

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
ran around screaming for a sec then fell over and rolled around in the dry pinestraw, igniting his yard, fire department shows up some time later, they all shake their heads. someone turns the key and hits the switch and the bike starts.
PROBLEM SOLVED! :welcome: no need for thanks, magic is what i do

Hal Incandenza

Reaction score
Visit site
I think we should all assume that while trying to fix it he got fed up with it, decided to drench it in gas but, realizing its the best bike in the world, he decided to take his lit match and drop in on the pile of wood and drink beer around the fire until the problem solved itself.:Flip:

lol.. not quite.. although not a bad idea (the beer around the fire waiting for problem to spontaneously solve itself, i mean.. ;)

Borrowed my friend's multimeter, went downstairs (underground parking garage) and took off the side panel.. as far as I can tell none of the wires seem pinched and the connections seem okay, battery connection seems fine too. Beyond that don't know if I really want to start pulling apart all sorts of things that I don't understand.. I gotta be honest, I really have no idea what I'm doing with this electrical stuff and don't want to wind up messing up things that are working fine in search of what I think may well be a relatively simple problem (for someone who knows what they're doing..)

Beyond that, between working full time while simultaneously studying for the MCAT and training for a half-marathon I already kinda feel like my head's gonna explode.. so I'm trying to be reasonable about it.. Where things stand is my friend's friend (who's a mechanic) is gonna try and find some time over the next little while to come by and help out. Considering it's middle of winter here it's not a huge rush anyways.. on the one hand, I really wanna hear the sound of that new exhaust.. on the other the temps out there right now are still subzero.

As soon as the problem's been solved will post an update.. thanks again for all the help!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm gonna need more :popcorn: :popcorn::popcorn: :popcorn:

Hal, you have nothing to loose by simply unpluging one connector at a time and looking for something abnormal. The only harm that can come from this is if you pull on the wires and pull a wire free from the connector. Just study the connector to use it latch as intended to release it and you'll be fine.

Look For:
* - wires pulled out
* - pins pushed out
* - corrosion/colors not like the others

Good luck on the run!

Hal Incandenza

Reaction score
Visit site
Problem solved! As I'd suspected, it was a pretty simple fix.. turned out it was that red and white wire that Motogiro had pointed me to on top of the battery. I had checked the wire and both sides of the connector unplugged - but turns out one of them, although totally clean and uncorroded, wasn't quite making contact with the connector, ie. the flat receiving connector was just slightly bent downwards just enough for the two leads to not connect.

I thought I had already checked but guess I had been staring at it for too long, a friend noticed it after just a few minutes.. in any case I'm glad I didn't go dis-assembling a bunch of other stuff in the process.

Thanks again for everyone's help! As for the exhaust, omg it sounds amazing!! :D

(took a little iphone vid but can't seem to upload it directly.. oh well, between the parking garage accoustics and my little iphone cam don't think the audio's very good anyways..)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key to the on position?

There are a number of logic circuits that will not allow the starter to run. The "Starter interrupt relay" or "Start cutoff relay" is a good place to start troubleshooting. The lean angle or tilt switch will allow the starter to operate but the bike won't run so I would start by making sure the starter circuits are operating. Is that engine light coming on when you push the starter button or is it coming on as you turn the key on as a check?

So let's start here. On top of the battery there is a relay assembly. It has a red with white tracer wire. If you have a test light or volt meter we need to see if there is 12-13 Volts on that wire when you turn the key to the on position.:D

You da man!