2004 FZ6S Doesn't start - Coolant temp meter bar flashing

IceMan

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 2004 FZ6S. Recently had issues with the Coolant Temp Meter showing full bar and the top one flashing. No error code displayed on the screen. Engine cranks but doesn't start. Battery is fully charged but no luck.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to this great forum!
When you first turn the key on do you here the fuel pump prime?

Reaction score
Visit site
As Motogiro mentioned above, listen for that, maybe do a fuel pressure test. Fuel pump may be done.
Are you sure you didn't over heat it?
Look into how to get into diagnostic mode and see if anything comes up.

IceMan

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to this great forum!
When you first turn the key on do you here the fuel pump prime?
Hello Motogiro, appreciate the quick response. No, I don't hear the fuel pump prime (I hear no sound right after turning the key on).

IceMan

Reaction score
Visit site
As Motogiro mentioned above, listen for that, maybe do a fuel pressure test. Fuel pump may be done.
Are you sure you didn't over heat it?
Look into how to get into diagnostic mode and see if anything comes up.
No, the bike has been sitting idle for a couple of days. I shall look into "how to get into diagnostic mode and post it back here".

Reaction score
Visit site
Fuel pump is primary suspect, but when mine went, my temperature gauge didn't do anything different. You may have something else that is not allowing the fuel pump to run. Diagnostic mode might tell you something.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Check your wiring at the bottom of your fuel tank. If the wiring looks good you'll want to see 12 vdc at the fuel pump and fuel injectors (red with blue tracer wire color). If you see 12 vdc check for an open ground at the pump (black wire.) you should have continuity to the frame/engine and/or negative battery lead.
I'm assuming you're familiar with using a multimeter.
Maybe a rodent chewed through a wire?

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Fuel pump is primary suspect, but when mine went, my temperature gauge didn't do anything different. You may have something else that is not allowing the fuel pump to run. Diagnostic mode might tell you something.
If the ECU was throwing a code, it would be visible when the ignition key is turned to the “on” position.

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What would the blinking temperature light be? I imagine, but don't really know, that a code would show a standard red engine light?
I don't think that the coolant temperature reading @ max and the lack of a start are related. I believe that the coolant temperature senor has failed, or there is a short to ground in the harness. When the coolant temperature sensor fails (either open or short to ground) the ECU compensates by setting an internal bit that fixes the reading @ 60 C (140 F). This allows the engine to start and the bike to be operational. This condition should set a "21" failure code ("06" diagnostic code), but we have seen failures of this sensor that don't trigger the code. If the failure goes un-noticed by the ECU the bike remains on the "cold" map if failed open and in open loop is failed closed. If failed shorted to ground the fan should be running when the key is in the "on" position. Here is the diagnostic for the coolant sensor:
  • Remove the coolant temperature sensor and confirm a resistance of 0.290 to 0.354 Ω at 80C (176F).
  • Check continuity of the sensor connector to the ECU via the black/ blue and green /white wires. Also check for continuity to ground...which should not be present. The black/blue wire is the excitement/reference voltage and the green/white wire is the signal. I believe that the reference line is 3.75 to 4.25 VDC with the key in the "on" position. DO NOT GROUND THIS WIRE.
  • Clean the connectors with contact cleaner

Last edited:

IceMan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All, appreciate all the comments and inputs. I didn't get any time to work on the bike anymore (can't leave it open as I live in an apartment and people can just do anything with an half-open bike :)) and it's getting urgent to fix this. Running around with just 1 car and other family commitments was getting a little tedious. So, I have taken it to a mechanic and probably will hear from him this week. I shall keep you all posted with what the issue is/could be.

IceMan

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All, I had to take my motorbike to a second mechanic to find the issue as the first one couldn't diagnose it. While initially they said the issue could the coolant sensor, it ended up being a broken wire going in the harness. Below were the notes in service log. They have replaced the harness as well as the Fuel Pump relay and the bike is now back to normal operation.

Found fuel pump to not be operating, found fuel pump relay inactive.
This was due to immobiliser no allowing activation.
Traced all wires and found broken wire in harness.

Appreciate all your support and inputs.

Have a wonderful day!