Helmet Camera Mount

bcampana

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys. So this isnt FZ6 related, but since I'm a FZ6 rider I figure ill my project with you.

So this is my 4th attempt at a camera mount for my fz6. So far there has been: a 6ft diving board like mount which trailed behind the bike, a spring and dampened mount which bolted in behind the wind shield, and a pvc mount which clamped onto the triple. All of these (especially the diving board version) had some issues with vibration. So now I opt to remove it from the bike all together. This time I was fortunate enough to have a friend of mine help me with the fabrication.

First, I bought a window holder kit from Harbor Freight. It can with pairs of suction cups attached by a metal cable. I removed the cable (which was nicely bolted on) and attached the cups onto the helmet.

IMG_1025.jpg

We then bent and drilled some aluminum to connect the top two cups.

IMG_1026.jpg

The suction cups' built in bolt and nut came in real handy here.

IMG_1032.jpg

Another piece of aluminum was cut and drilled to connect with the side frames. An indentation was milled into this bracket to make a nice and secure fit.

IMG_1027.jpg

I have to get me one of these...

IMG_1030.jpg

Two move pieces of aluminum were cut and hand bent to connect to the other cups.

IMG_1031.jpg

Some tripod parts were laying around, so we cut an aluminum bracket from some Ikea shelving to mount it onto the frame. A slot was also milled into this mount for a secure fit.

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

And I seem to be missing a picture of the mount with the tripod on it. But we drilled some holes on the frame for adjustability and a hole was also drilled into the aluminum shelf piece for mounting. Just put it on top with your imagination =)

To protect the camera theres a cheap waterproof camera case that slides over it. The case has a hole cut into it for the mounting hardware.

Ill post the first video which hopefully will happen this Wednesday =)

That's inovative idea....
Can't wait how the results would come, as I'm very interested on the bike-cam mounting.
I had bunch of failures before.. ha ha ha

Thanks for the sharing.

That's inovative idea....
Can't wait how the results would come, as I'm very interested on the bike-cam mounting.
I had bunch of failures before.. ha ha ha

Thanks for the sharing.

Thanks. I can describe the designs of the last 3 mounts which I also have sample videos for. Hopefully you can build off those their failures (though you shouldnt even bother with the diving board mount, i think it would make you stupider by hearing about it). Ill put those together sometime tomorrow when I'm not at work =P. As a quick reference, I made this one $5 Motorcycle Camera Mount before. There was still some vibration issues. Heres a youtube of it in action [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KstP0p9LMk]YouTube - warm up up Azusa with no IS[/ame].

Heres the finished product without the waterproof bag on it. Excuse the quality, found I had a problem with taking a picture of the camera using the camera I'd like to take a picture of. So phone cam it is.

IMG00183.jpg

IMG00184.jpg

T-minus 10 hours till the test run!!

So I tested it out today. Works pretty good. I had to make a quick addition to the mount yesterday though because the $1 hong kong tripod mount would fail at around 60 mph. It starts to slip back due to the wind. For this I attached one of our mirror washers (my bike is naked =D) and put a screw on it to give support to the tripod.

IMG_1054.jpg

I could of just locked up the internals, but I figured that the adjustability would come in handy later. And it might!! I had a spare helmet strapped to my seat and my friend pointed out I could just mount onto that helmet and have an instant rear facing cam. Will have to try this next time, but we werent feeling good enough for all this filming =P

So heres a sample of the performance:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj3RYHKr1tQ]YouTube - Helmet Camera Mount[/ame]

Wow, that is a great quality video.
I don't see any vibration occured by road bump, the human body seems good damper.
I want to try your idea for my camera too.
Thanks...^^

I have gotten great results from the Super bike cam sport (adrenaline systems)
Comes with all the mounts you need and is very easy to mount. The TFT screen makes it very easy to mount as well for review of all video taken: no need to get to your computer to see what video you got:

Sport Bike Cam Sport

800056_feature_01.gif

Here is a great helmet cam mount and the cam has great video and sound quality and is simple to attach and remove and does not weigh a significant amount:

red-helmet-mount.jpg

Back