FZ6 gears

senrgsd

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,
I recently bought a FZ6 S2 2009 as my first bike and was wondering how many gears it has.
The manual says it has 6 but the dealer says it's OK as it is with 5 gears (1 down and 4 up).
WHo should I believe?
Please don't judge me - I am a new biker and don't really know the technical details just yet... but how I am supposed to learn especially when the dealer contradicts the manual and viceversa?

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Always trust the manual (if it is indeed the one for FZ6).

It's a 6 speed trans. Just about all modern sport bikes have 6 gears.

Do yourself a favor and find another dealer.

Be safe out there and enjoy the ride!

senrgsd

Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum

As Eric says it is a 6 speed.
You can also read it in the owners manual which you can find on the UK yamaha site:

Yamaha Motor UK - Motorcycles, Scooters, Marine, ATV, Snowmobiles, Generators, Golf Cars

Select motorbike from the icons and then select "owners manual", then select model and year.

Good luck with a new dealer.

Following your answers plus another opinion from a yamaha dealer I went back to the dealer and guess what? They fixed it!
Now I got 6 gears as normal. It was the selector for some reasons didn't switch and the spring responsible for dropping down the gears was lower or got stuck for some reasons... (started to learn now.. hehe...)
Thanks guys... I love my bike now...

P.S. 2 more questions for you if you don't mind:
1. is there a tutorial somewhere on how to install the heated grips? I don't want to learn on the go. I prefer to get some professionals showing me how to do it.
2. what is the normal rev for 100 mph speed? My bike hits the 10k revs for 100 mph or higher. Is that normal?

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
1. is there a tutorial somewhere on how to install the heated grips? I don't want to learn on the go. I prefer to get some professionals showing me how to do it.
2. what is the normal rev for 100 mph speed? My bike hits the 10k revs for 100 mph or higher. Is that normal?

Hmm - if you are new to bikes, and you are not sure if its working correctly, should you be going 100MPH?? Odds are you will soon become a statistic.

Please take a riders safety course and wise up before you injure yourself or someone else.

Take a look here and ATGATT!!!
Essential Reading & Viewing - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

Some of this may be helpful:
Track Tech & Riding Techniques - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As for the six speed, look at the left side sprocket cover, the pattern and # of gears is IMPRINTED ON IT.....

And please don't do 100 MPH until you have considerably more time under your belt in the saddle. Things happen very, very quickly at that speed...

senrgsd

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the advanced riding course right after passing the test - and the speed of 100 mph was on a quiet straight road with no traffic and only reached 100 mph for like seconds. Then slowed down to normal. How many of you did not test a bike to its limits after purchase? It's that feeling of playing a little bit to see what it can do...

Thanks anyway for your concerns - I perfectly agree with them and am glad to hear there are riders out there who care...
The gears work ok now - the 6th gear was stuck somehow.

ArmyOfDarkness

Reaction score
Visit site
Following your answers plus another opinion from a yamaha dealer I went back to the dealer and guess what? They fixed it!
Now I got 6 gears as normal. It was the selector for some reasons didn't switch and the spring responsible for dropping down the gears was lower or got stuck for some reasons... (started to learn now.. hehe...)
Thanks guys... I love my bike now...

Dude, I just bought my first motorcycle and I haven't even thought about 100mph yet. This is coming from a guy who jumped out of an airplane the first time he was in one :rockon:

If you are indeed a beginner, this is what I am most concerned about with my bike:
1) Do I have good insurance?
2) Where is my safety gear? I'm not going anywhere without my safety gear!
3) Are all the blinkers, mirrors, headlights, turn signals, etc working
4) I need to change the oil and other fluids, what about my tires?

Then I start to think about:
5) Is it May 3-5 yet! That's my MSF training course days
6) How do I not kill this damn thing! Haha
7) Where is the closest, biggest parking lot so i can practice figure 8's, stops and starts, etc

I haven't even thought about what it will be like to drive on the street in a school zone at 15mph let alone what RPM I will be at at 100mph! :eek:

If that seems far fetched that I am that concerned, then you can search all the threads I have created so far. Not one of my threads have been about driving the motorcycle, they have all been about everything I need to do BEFORE I ride.

Last edited:

the_engineer

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Im a newish rider too, I rode dirt bike my whole life, since I was five and 20 now. I just test drove a 2007 fz6 and got it to 100, it was like around 7kish in 5/6 gear. I was told from private seller that it is five speed, but im not sure if he meant 1 down and 5 up or actually 5 speed. I didn't think about counting as I was more worried about other drivers. soo if it is missing a gear how much does it cost to fix and is it possible to do with average mechanical abilities?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Im a newish rider too, I rode dirt bike my whole life, since I was five and 20 now. I just test drove a 2007 fz6 and got it to 100, it was like around 7kish in 5/6 gear. I was told from private seller that it is five speed, but im not sure if he meant 1 down and 5 up or actually 5 speed. I didn't think about counting as I was more worried about other drivers. soo if it is missing a gear how much does it cost to fix and is it possible to do with average mechanical abilities?

I would simply go for another ride and count how many times you shift. You can easily get into 6th gear under 60 MPH without hurting anything(about 5K RPMs). (Stock gearing, in 6th gear is about 50 MPH indicated on the speedometer, just about 4,000RPM's)

If your not getting 6 gears, it could be anything. Having a very stout gear box, if the issue is in the GEAR BOX, it can be very expensive (easily $1,000 plus-bent shifter forks, worn bearings in the box, etc).

A common issue is sticky shifting. Most of the times, the shifter linkage, on the left side of the engine (a longish rod with adjustable ends), once lubed up some makes shifting considerably easier.

IMO, if ONLY 5 gears work, and your NOT doing all the labor, walk away from it. Its going to be a money pit..

Re mechanical abilities needed, engine likely has to be pulled, split the cases, then know what to look for. Can't get much deeper than that on the bike. There are some posts here of members doing just that but they are few as it is very involved

Last edited:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Always trust the manual (if it is indeed the one for FZ6).

It's a 6 speed trans. Just about all modern sport bikes have 6 gears.

Do yourself a favor and find another dealer.

Be safe out there and enjoy the ride!

I got the bike 3 days ago, 2008 FZ6, didn't read the manual yet, but i observed only 5 gears, 1+4. I'll update it soon.
Maybe is that a new thing from 2009? Maybe thats why dealer got confused and didn't update his brain? or I'm completely wrong and I have to fix my bike for the sixth gear?
I'll update it once i get on to my bike, but i'm pretty sure it has only 5.

MasterOfPupets

Reaction score
Visit site
All FZ6 are 6 gears. 1 down 5 up.

If you only have 5, you have in issue. I'd (carefully) put it on the center stand and run it though the gears, making sure to count them.

Ultrarandom

Reaction score
Visit site
I got the bike 3 days ago, 2008 FZ6, didn't read the manual yet, but i observed only 5 gears, 1+4. I'll update it soon.
Maybe is that a new thing from 2009? Maybe thats why dealer got confused and didn't update his brain? or I'm completely wrong and I have to fix my bike for the sixth gear?

I have got one which is registered as 2009 (is actually 2008 as that's the last year they made them before going to the low powered only FZ6R).
Mine is definitely 6 speed. You'll be hard pressed to find a sports bike which isn't 6 speed within the last 10 years. Even my old Honda VT250 was a 6 speed.
Definitely sounds like something wrong with the bike if you can't hit that extra gear.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

part #23, 6th GEAR; 2008 Yamaha FZ6 (FZS6XB) Transmission | Babbitts Online

Last edited:

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
As has been said about 10 times now, the bike is definitely a 6 speed. They (Yamaha) never made an "FZ6" (be it S1 or S2) that has a 5 speed.

The fact that 1) the place sold you the bike as a 5 speed is worthy of legal action as it was a blatant lie, and 2) that you cannot reach 6th gear is a sign of a problem inside the transmission, be it a broken/bent shift fork or a worn dog, and it should be fixed before it potentially takes out the rest of the transmission and motor.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
The limit is your skill :), not your bike!

Dude, you don't need to risk yourself to test your FZ6 limit...just go to youtube and type in "FZ6 top speed", it's safer than what you just did LOL

The limit is yourself :), not your bike!

Good luck!

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
What IF its a throw down from ChevyFazer???!
It was a 6 speed but NOW its a 5speed?! BlahBlahBlah

In true Mythbuster fashion, "plausible!".... :D

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm - if you are new to bikes, and you are not sure if its working correctly, should you be going 100MPH?? Odds are you will soon become a statistic.

Please take a riders safety course and wise up before you injure yourself or someone else.

Take a look here and ATGATT!!!
Essential Reading & Viewing - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

Some of this may be helpful:
Track Tech & Riding Techniques - Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

is going 100mph on a smooth, straight surface really that dangerous? even for a new(er) rider? it would seem the bike is doing most of the work at that speed, and it is a very stable bike :thumbup:

that said i spent 4 years going 55mph before i even hit 60mph :rolleyes:

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site

MasterOfPupets

Reaction score
Visit site