FZ1 after three seasons on FZ6

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Good news is you only had to buy one pipe for this one! :spank:
Looking into new exhausts for the V, Vance and hines is #1 but a yoshimura trc just came into the picture at an amazing price, so might take a gamble at that. i like the CF look on that pipe too, get 'er on there! and then....
images

Cant go wrong with a Yoshi. I had a CF RS3 on my ZX6R and really liked it. I actually cut it down and repacked it after about a year. Had a really nice low tone.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Latest thoughts:

There's a lot more vibration on FZ6 all around.. pegs, seat and bars.

I find the less aggressive seating position on FZ6 even with FZ1 handlebar to be more comfortable.

When it comes to putting feet on the ground, I find the pegs on FZ1 get in the way, forcing a wider stance. FZ6 does feel taller, but much narrower which from my experience makes it easier to put feet down.. neither are an issue with my 34" inseam though :D

I'm one of those weird people (heck I might be the ONLY one) who finds stock seat on both FZ6 and FZ1 to be perfectly comfortable :eek: .. I do find FZ1 seat to be more comfortable than FZ6 one.

I also found wind buffeting to be worse on FZ6 in stock form (which is why I converted mine to a streetfighter). FZ1 actually does a pretty good job directing relatively turbulent-free wind to the shoulders and head, but my screen is cut down from stock height, so I'm not sure what stock FZ1 feels like.

Situations where I would choose FZ1: long days in the saddle; relaxed rides (keeping rpms low); riding 2-up

Situations where I would choose FZ6: short (~ 1 hour) spirited rides.. unlike FZ1, FZ6 actually requires shifting to keep it in the zone and the RPMs can be kept way up without breaking all the laws!
And of course the other situation: gas-is-too-expensive commuting.

D

Dave.TX

Though I don't mind the look of the stock exhaust your new can looks good. I also like the red stripes on the wheels, need to do that with mine.

After looking at your pic for a bit I then realized you have the Starship Enterprise attached to the rear, it's sort of "hidden" in the car in the background. I'm sure it's really nice to have on trips but dang, I've never liked the look of those things. I have V35 hard bags for mine and they're nice to have too but rarely ride with them since all of my rides so far (had the bike one month) have been at or under 300 miles.

Overall I like your bike and the upgrade. It may be something I do when my 6 is paid off. BTW, I have a 36" inseam so reach is never a problem.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
After looking at your pic for a bit I then realized you have the Starship Enterprise attached to the rear, it's sort of "hidden" in the car in the background. I'm sure it's really nice to have on trips but dang, I've never liked the look of those things. I have V35 hard bags for mine and they're nice to have too but rarely ride with them since all of my rides so far (had the bike one month) have been at or under 300 miles.

Yeah, the luggage rack doesn't help the look, but I use it all the time. Can't beat lockable waterproof cases! I'm actually waiting for side racks too.. already have the V35 cases.
The whole assembly does come off fairly easily, should I be inclined to show off the bike (doubt that'll ever happen :rof: )

D

Dave.TX

With 10" of rain this year not much of that to worry about. Sounds like you'll have a tourer in no time.

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Took a FZ1 for a test ride yesterday, just for something to do.... Loved the gearing. Cruising through the city streets at 50kmh, sitting in first! Although I understand now, that could be a bit boring when you WANT to have FUN. I didn't really notice the wide tank, but certainly noticed the wider seat and pegs. I was on tippy toes when stopped.

Could still be something I might upgrade to shortly........

Erci - What do you mean about swapping the bars over? Is that becase one year OEM has screw threads and one doesn't? I did notice that when I put FZ1 bars on my 6, cause I got the wrong ones in to start with.

Nice looking bike!! Shame about the box, but I'm with you. I have a box on my 6 due to necessity. Wish I didn't have to commute with it every day.

YZF73

Reaction score
Visit site
Latest thoughts:

I'm one of those weird people (heck I might be the ONLY one) who finds stock seat on both FZ6 and FZ1 to be perfectly comfortable :eek: .. I do find FZ1 seat to be more comfortable than FZ6 one.

Your not the only one :thumbup:, I have absolutely no problem with my stock FZ6 seat, can ride for about 2 hours solid without any problems (only say that because I haven't tried any longer yet :spank:), when it comes down to it your riding a motorcycle, not sitting in a cage :rockon:

Yamahaboyz

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Erci - What do you mean about swapping the bars over? Is that becase one year OEM has screw threads and one doesn't? I did notice that when I put FZ1 bars on my 6, cause I got the wrong ones in to start with.

Previous owner drilled out the threaded inserts on stock bar to put bar end mirrors in.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Done with mods for now. Here she is in full touring mode. 116 L of lockable waterproof cargo space FTW!

attachment.php

Senior

My brother is Junior
Reaction score
Visit site
That set up is looking awesome .....
(Perhaps I do need another bike)

Looks like a V46 on top and 2 x V35 on the sides
(Hint - the number in the Givi case name is the size in litres)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That set up is looking awesome .....
(Perhaps I do need another bike)

Looks like a V46 on top and 2 x V35 on the sides
(Hint - the number in the Givi case name is the size in litres)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

You are correct, sir! 46 L top and 35 L side cases.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there a brake light on all 3 cases or are those just reflectors on the side cases? Awesome!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Is there a brake light on all 3 cases or are those just reflectors on the side cases? Awesome!
'

Those are just reflectors, but there are kits to make them into working lights. Side cases become indicator lights. Pricey kits though.. something like 150 for top and nearly 200 for sides.

AngelFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations, it is looking really nice.

I actually had the opportunity to test ride a 2011 FZ1 - big difference and I can totally understand your decision to go from the FZ6 to the FZ1