Front tire issue?

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure if it's the tire or the rider but I'll try to give a brief explanation and would appreciate any input from the forum.

I recently put new tires on the bike. I had 13,500 miles on the front and 14,200 miles on the rear of the old tires which were Dunlop RoadSmarts. I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires. I couldn't afford to do both at the same time so replaced the rear first and then the front - about two weeks and 500 miles apart.

I had no problem with the rear tire. However the bike just doesn't seem to feel the same or handle the same with the new front tire. I just brought it back to the dealer to have the balance checked (there was no weight on it) and the mechanic said that he did add a little weight but it was so small that I really wouldn't have noticed it.

The torque is fine - my friend checked the specs twice after he put the wheel back on. The air pressure is good as well. I now have over 500 miles on the tire.

Not to sound like a newbie or worse yet, a girl, but it just doesn't feel right. At slow speeds cornering seems unsteady and gives you that "i'm going to fall over feeling". At higher speeds going straight it just doesn't feel like it's rotating correctly. There is no shaking or anything and it does seem to stick ok at higher speeds in the turns though I haven't tried anything over 60 mph cause I'm feeling a little unsteady with it.

Anyone have any ideas or advice? Is it just the difference in the tires?

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
its sounds like a wheel balance issue.. i would take it to a different dealer and have them check both wheel balance's.. sounds like the same thing that happened to me.. just doesnt seem stable at med-high speeds.. and did the tech bother to take the wheel off to check the balance???

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Cheryl,

The thing that pops into my mind first is: You might be experiencing a different profile. That might be due to different manufacturer design or because you're coming off a tire that has worn over time and you might have gotten used to it's performance. The second is: and this may sound stupid but is the tire size the correct size?
I know there are different carcass designs and I think I might be oblivious to the different feel but that could also be what you're experiencing.
Check head bearings?

I've had tire pressure of 2-3 psi. make a super difference in the way my turn in felt and I know you've checked it but you might try a different pressure setting and ride it to see if it changes the feeling.

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
first, im assuming that this issue occurred only immediatly after replacing the front tire, correct? if so, you went from worn out tires that you were used to, to brand new tires of a different brand that you havent used before on this bike. being the case, the new brand (and full tread) will have a slightly different profile (rounding) than you old ones (that were well used). it will take some time to get used to them.

ive used the pr2's on a couple occasions and have been very happy with them. i think once you get used to them you will like them as well.

on a side note, it may pay to check your head stem bearings (steering) to make sure they are torqued properly, as that can cause steering issues. other things to check are that your forks didnt get twisted (even slightly) during the tire changing process, and that your rear tire is tracking straight since that one was taken off recently as well.

hopefully this gives you some peace...

**moto beat me to it. he posted as i was typing.**

Last edited:

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
on a side note, it may pay to check your head stem bearings (steering) to make sure they are torqued properly, as that can cause steering issues.

I was going to suggest same thing. Overtightened head bearings will cause the issue you described.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
its sounds like a wheel balance issue.. i would take it to a different dealer and have them check both wheel balance's.. sounds like the same thing that happened to me.. just doesnt seem stable at med-high speeds.. and did the tech bother to take the wheel off to check the balance???

I have a friend that takes the wheel off for me, so I just brought the wheel to the dealer.

As for the other suggestions:

I thought of the difference between the two different brands as well - after doing some research here I read that the PR2's take longer to warm up than the Roadsmarts and that the PR2's are a harder rubber.

I also considered the steering head bearings as they have loosened before so I will have my friend check them again but it just seemed weird that I only noticed it after getting the new tire.

It could very well be the difference in brands and new tires vs old worn tires but I didn't experience this the last time I replaced the tires.

Thanks for the input - I feel a little better (though kind of silly if it's just nerves).

JJP XX

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Front tire issue? Nah, person in seat issue! :)~

Hey guys,

I'm the one who works on Cheryl's bike. I torqued, using a torque wrench, and the specs that Cheryl gives me for working on her bike.

I put the tire pressure at 35 psi, cold, F and R. After putting this tire and wheel back on her bike, she told me something didn't feel right. I checked the settings and then loosened and re-torqued everything back to specs.

She then told me that it still didn't feel right so I took off the wheel last night for her to bring to the dealer today. This is a dealer that has worked on Cheryl's FZ, my ZX14, C14, and VFR800. I trust these people to work on our bikes.

"other things to check are that your forks didnt get twisted (even slightly) during the tire changing process,"

I'm not getting what is said here. If it was twisted, would the front axle still go in smoothly as it did? While working on this bike is easier than my bikes, perhaps I overlooked something. Any input would be appreciated.

I put PR2s on my ZX14 recently also by doing the rear first and then the front about 1000 miles later. While my bike did fall into the corners easier, I certainly didn't feel anything that would make me feel uncomfortable.

Thanks for helping out Cheryl.

:)

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
jj, its highly unlikely that the forks became twisted during a front tire r/r. however it wouldnt hurt to make sure her fork leg pinch bolts are tight, and to give a keen eye to the alignment (using the eyeball scientific method of course!)

having used these tires before, i really just think its her 'butt-dyno' that will need to get used to this new tire brand. sounds like you did your part well and covered all the bases. the new profile and full tread will give a smaller profile than what she is used to which can lead to baby giraffe legs at first at slow speeds. and youre right, these pr2's fall into corners easier than other tires ive ridden on.

i would also suggest (if shell let you) that you ride the bike and see if you can comfirm or deny any mis-handling. if she doesnt get used to it in a few hundred miles (if even that long), i would revisit the possibilities.

JJP XX

Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure her legs are tight and her "butt-dyno" is working properly? Ok! ;)

You do know she'll kick my butt, don't you?

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
jj, its highly unlikely that the forks became twisted during a front tire r/r. however it wouldnt hurt to make sure her fork leg pinch bolts are tight, and to give a keen eye to the alignment (using the eyeball scientific method of course!)

having used these tires before, i really just think its her 'butt-dyno' that will need to get used to this new tire brand. sounds like you did your part well and covered all the bases. the new profile and full tread will give a smaller profile than what she is used to which can lead to baby giraffe legs at first at slow speeds. and youre right, these pr2's fall into corners easier than other tires ive ridden on.

i would also suggest (if shell let you) that you ride the bike and see if you can comfirm or deny any mis-handling. if she doesnt get used to it in a few hundred miles (if even that long), i would revisit the possibilities.

tork leg pinch bolts? :confused:

John (JJP XX) does do a great job with my bike and for only the price of dinner so I am very, very grateful and he is the only person I would let ride it!

I guess I will just ride it some more and try to get used to it but now at least I have some peace of mind, even if I do feel a little foolish.

You have no idea........:spank:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Hahaha!

You know I was thinking. I remember the front tire pressure specs. for the FZ6 where 33 psi and back was 36 psi. Try that and take it for a spin. I've had 2-3 psi make a difference in my turn in. My front was low and I put 2 psi in the front and the turn in was quicker.

tjhess74

boo-yah!
Reaction score
Visit site
tork leg pinch bolts? :confused:

John (JJP XX) does do a great job with my bike and for only the price of dinner so I am very, very grateful and he is the only person I would let ride it!

I guess I will just ride it some more and try to get used to it but now at least I have some peace of mind, even if I do feel a little foolish.
john will know what they are. just some allen bolts at the top and middle of each fork leg that keep them tight in the triple trees.

You have no idea........:spank:

im new here, and i dont know what ya'll are into...but i think i like it!:steve:

motos post about tire pressures got me thinkin'. this bikes recommended pressures are alot lower than what im used to. for me 33/36 psi means you gotta leak!

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I doubt it is the problem but in an effort to cover everything... is the tire mounted correctly i.e. the tread travelling in the right direction? The PR2s always look like they are on backwards to me

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site