FML... layed the bike down

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Went for a weekend ride through Mount Magazine in Arkansas. Going through switchbacks after exiting the "park" area, a downhill jobber that ends in a 180 degree turn. Got spooked by a patch of water sitting in the shade and went wide. Ended up going off the side of the road, panicked, and grabbed a big handful of front brake. Naturally, the bike low-sided and sent me rolling.

A few things were pretty lucky about this situation:
1) I was going really slow
2) The bike and myself went down before we both went off the hill :eek::D

My left knee got scraped up pretty well, and my left wrist got sprained but nothing severe. The impact didn't hurt so bad, most of the pain came from cleaning the scrape up and having to use the clutch all the way back from Arkansas to Tulsa.

On to the bike...
View attachment 17048

View attachment 17049

View attachment 17050

View attachment 17051

View attachment 17052

View attachment 17053

View attachment 17054

View attachment 17055

Mechanically, the bike is still sound. The shift lever was bent completely against the arm, managed to get it straightened out without breaking it. The clutch lever now touches the bar end and the entire front fairing assembly points to the left and down (most likely from catching the pavement).

Any suggestions on where to get parts and the best way to straighten out the fairing frame?

Wanders

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear no broken bones, just wrecked mine, well, myself along with it. Sadly I don't see me being able to ride for atleast a few months. Glad I had coverage on my bike and not just liability, I was going under 25 mph yet it managed to grind down the stock peg till it broke off. Waiting to be able to move to go take some pictures may also post the x rays and such but it will be a bit before i am able to do so.

Like I said, happy to hear your alright and theres no major injuries. Bikes replacable, your body isn't. The road rash I still managed to aquire while fully geared will make damn certain I wont ever get caught without it all on in the future. Bloody, Puss filled nastiness that just wont scabb over, its almost worse then the broken leg, almost.

spellings wrong, you'll be ok reading it though. Feeling sick not correcting it sorry.

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear no broken bones, just wrecked mine, well, myself along with it. Sadly I don't see me being able to ride for atleast a few months. Glad I had coverage on my bike and not just liability, I was going under 25 mph yet it managed to grind down the stock peg till it broke off. Waiting to be able to move to go take some pictures may also post the x rays and such but it will be a bit before i am able to do so.

Like I said, happy to hear your alright and theres no major injuries. Bikes replacable, your body isn't. The road rash I still managed to aquire while fully geared will make damn certain I wont ever get caught without it all on in the future. Bloody, Puss filled nastiness that just wont scabb over, its almost worse then the broken leg, almost.

spellings wrong, you'll be ok reading it though. Feeling sick not correcting it sorry.

Dang man, it appears there's quite a few of us with wrecked bikes.

I'm hesitant to get on it any time soon, mostly because my wrist hurts like fire when I squeeze anything. You're injuries sound like my knee. Always feels wet and gross, hurts to bend. I'm certainly glad I mostly rolled rather than slid. I'm also glad I had my leather jacket on (even after my dad asked why I was wearing it on such a hot day :squid:).

Hang in there, hope you heal up soon!

jdough7

Reaction score
Visit site
Too bad about the bike, but kudos on no major injuries.

What gear were you wearing and how did it fare?

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Leather jacket, leather palmed mesh gloves, helmet, *cough* jeans *cough* :spank: , and leather Adidas.

Jacket: scuffing on the left cuff, inside seam. No other damage
Gloves: small scuff, nothing major
Helmet: untouched
Jeans: hole tore in left knee
Shoes: untouched

I've been wanting riding pants, but haven't been able to afford them... :(

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks like the asphault unbolted your frame sliders and put the bolt back.
Or you didn't have frame sliders ;)

Good to hear you're okay. Bikes can be fixed.

W

wrightme43

Glad your ok man.
That didnt do the bike any favors, but she could make a nice naked now.

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I know I need frame sliders. Just something I never got to install. Definitely making sure I get some once it's road-worthy...

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you're mostly OK. The bike can be fixed to new so just focus on feeling better!

Wanders

Reaction score
Visit site
Best thing to do is just get back on it and take it slow, not that I have experience with this or anything... I just can't wait to get back on the bike again. Screwed my summer up pretty bad so I envy your sore wrist, lol.

I didn't have sliders on mine either, regret it but a lesson learned. So lucky I had geared up completely though I knew it was going to be a short ride. Hope I don't ever screw that one up.

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, taking it slow was all I could think the rest of the way home. Manning up and getting back on that thing was the hardest thing I've done in awhile.
I'm ready to get back on, just waiting on the injuries to heal.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
A big "atta boy" for getting back on your bike. I know it can be tough after a crash.

I checked the FJR forum and may I highly suggest you contact Gary McCoy at Mondak motorsports (google up mondamotorsports.com) Gary is the man when it comes to Yamaha parts. I've used him at a previous dealership and he is awesome in service and price. The FJR boys say he still rocks at the new dealership.
Good luck, let me know how it works out.