Fjr1300ae

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
After wad'in mah beloved '07, (Standard shift) I dun bought me an '07 ae.
AE pluses-
It launches real good, 'n you can just stay on the gas 'n flick it up through the gears; seems like it'd be better at a drag strip. :D
When commuting or anytime (Especially after a long ride) ride'in in city traffic the auto clutch is great!
Cons-
There's a 2nd brain under the seat take'in up the storage compartment where I used ta keep mah Slime pump.
Low speed maneuvers ('specially when the engine's cold) are kinda tricky.
When railing into a corner 'n down shift'in, there's mor of a "lag." With a standard clutch, you kick it down a gear (Like w/ the FZ6) and it downshifts, but w/ the ae, the brain has to process this info, so there's a slight delay.
It took a little get'in used ta these thangs, but it's really no big deal. (Well, 'cept the Slime pump! :mad: )
The book sayz these are heavier, butt w/ a 660 lb bike, wut's another 5 lbs? I can't feel it.
All in all, these FJRs are great bikes fer roll'in up miles. The FZ6 duz everythang well, butt the FJR duz most everythang a little bettah, ('cept dirt) 'n requires less maintenance. :cheer:

OP, that sounds like a great price, I just paid $7,500 fer mine w/ 23K mi. Butt I'm here in the golden (Shower) state where evereythang costs a lot mor. :loser: The high price of be'in able ta ride 365 a year.
Another thing you can;t do with an AE is bump start it. Having said that I have only ever had to bump start my FZ6 twice when the battery was going out !!
Well, I dun tried bump start'in mah standard shift FJR 'n wuzn't successfully either. It ain't easy git'in one of these pigz go'in fast 'nuff ta drop the clutch in 2nd or 3rd. :tard:

I'm currently going against the grain on this one and contemplating a Triumph Sprint 1050 - The FJR's direct competitor apparently Blah
Good luck w/ that, the FJR haz no competition. See 2013 Iron Butt Rally. :rockon:

CNY Fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Sooooo Fizzer, did you buy it?????????

The bike was delivered and in the garage on Friday. I was away at a seminar all weekend and have not had a chance to get my hands on it. New battery, and front and rear tires last year. Blah Now I need to learn how to post some pictures when I get a day off.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations!!!!

BTW, I've found riding without the side cases (and rear top case if equipped) on makes a pretty noticable difference in handling, especially at slow speeds. (Much lighter and handling is enhanced).

I'd suggest, for initial riding, to remove the cases, their not cheap in a tip over.. (You should have some plastic rectangular plugs to clip into where the cases hang.)

A good, very informative FJR forum to check out for about any question you will have re the bike:

FJRForum :thumbup:

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Congratulations!!!!

BTW, I've found riding without the side cases (and rear top case if equipped) on makes a pretty noticable difference in handling, especially at slow speeds. (Much lighter and handling is enhanced).

I'd suggest, for initial riding, to remove the cases, their not cheap in a tip over.. (You should have some plastic rectangular plugs to clip into where the cases hang.)

A good, very informative FJR forum to check out for about any question you will have re the bike:

FJRForum :thumbup:
Yeah, butt leo mor likely ta cut you sum slack if'n yer ride'in a bagger. :D

CNY Fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their help. I think I got a very good deal. 2006 FJR1300AE, 6,800 miles, side cases and trunk, Motivational sliders, new battery and tires, fantastic condition, $6,000. Here are some pictures of the brothers.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Watch your front door for the police... You stole that bike!!!

Factory Yamaha top box too!!

Gorgeous and super clean bike!!! :thumbup:

Just need some helmet locks now!

Last edited:

CNY Fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
My oh my oh my. Got out for my first ride yesterday on the FJR, a nice 50 mile test. I was a little nervous as I have never driven a bike this powerful or heavy plus the automatic clutch.

I had no problem with the shifting. In fact pulling away from intersections without worry is pretty sweet. Some adjustment is needed on the upshift as I seemed to get a little forward lurch when going up in the lower gears. Just need to learn where and when to apply the throttle to smooth this out a bit. The downshifting was easy and supper smooth. I found the ergonomics to be very similar to the FZ6. The stock seat is nice and comfortable. The electric windshield changes airflow greatly although the lower level seemed the best to keep airflow just at the shoulders, higher up blocked a lot more air but created too much turbulence around the head. My only complaint here is the speedometer. Because it goes to 200 mph the most used portion 0-70 occupies only about 25% of the dial so there is not much separation making it hard to quickly find your speed.

The ride is amazing, smooth, powerful, and great handling. The brakes are strong and easily control stopping. What surprised me most was how well it goes through the corners. I thought the weight would be an issue but it just seems more planted and I found it cornered better than the FZ. Because of this you really have to watch your speed. The same on the open road, 3,500 rpm's is comparable to 6,500 rpm's on the FZ. This combined with the smoothness makes it feel like your doing 40mph when you are actually going 65mph. This bike is made to cover miles. I can't wait for more. :D

This bike is fantastic. I'm glad I made the choice. Now comes the hard part, saying bye to the FZ (no I can't keep both). It will kill me to see it go - never a single issue.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My oh my oh my. Got out for my first ride yesterday on the FJR, a nice 50 mile test. I was a little nervous as I have never driven a bike this powerful or heavy plus the automatic clutch.

I had no problem with the shifting. In fact pulling away from intersections without worry is pretty sweet. Some adjustment is needed on the upshift as I seemed to get a little forward lurch when going up in the lower gears. Just need to learn where and when to apply the throttle to smooth this out a bit. The downshifting was easy and supper smooth. I found the ergonomics to be very similar to the FZ6. The stock seat is nice and comfortable. The electric windshield changes airflow greatly although the lower level seemed the best to keep airflow just at the shoulders, higher up blocked a lot more air but created too much turbulence around the head. My only complaint here is the speedometer. Because it goes to 200 mph the most used portion 0-70 occupies only about 25% of the dial so there is not much separation making it hard to quickly find your speed.

The ride is amazing, smooth, powerful, and great handling. The brakes are strong and easily control stopping. What surprised me most was how well it goes through the corners. I thought the weight would be an issue but it just seems more planted and I found it cornered better than the FZ. Because of this you really have to watch your speed. The same on the open road, 3,500 rpm's is comparable to 6,500 rpm's on the FZ. This combined with the smoothness makes it feel like your doing 40mph when you are actually going 65mph. This bike is made to cover miles. I can't wait for more. :D

This bike is fantastic. I'm glad I made the choice. Now comes the hard part, saying bye to the FZ (no I can't keep both). It will kill me to see it go - never a single issue.

With a redline of 8,000 with 145HP, half throttle is the FZ at 14,000 RPM for the same HP. And you don't have to wind it up to get moving fast.

Do save your $ for rear tires, If you get 5,000 miles out of the rear, your doing good.

Also, check (un-less already done recently) the drive shaft splines for molly lube. Four nuts and the drive shaft pumpkin slides out for maintainance(once the rear wheel is off)

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
When I had mah FZ1, the cops were alwayz jack'in me, butt ride'in the same speeds (Or faster? :p ) on the FJR, they leave me alone. :cheer:

Congratz!!! The mor ya ride it, the mor yer gonna luv it! :rockon:
Dun had ta mark 70 w/ sum junk yard ink in a feeble attempt ta keep her anywhere near legal!

Speed_controller.jpg

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Very nice indeed. Knew you would like it.

Now you need to register on both the FJR1300forum and FJRidersforum. Great people and both sites have a ton of information and news about FJR gatherings.

I'm hoping to go to NAFO (national FJR Owners) meet up in LaCrosse Wi and EOM (Eastern Owners) a week later in Maggie Valley,NC a week later this September.

sharkey

Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up buying a 06 FJR AE in Feb. and though I like it, I have it for sale and plan on a 07-09 FZ6. I know, Blasphemy. The AE is a cool set up and very fun to ride. 70 in fourth gear, go figure?

My issue is it is a beast and I'm a short lightweight. I haven't had any issues so far but I think I'd prefer something lighter.

Congrats though, it is a nice bike and I would say better quality than the RTs.
Anyone want a FJR AE with 11K miles and some nice farkles added to it? :D

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
I ended up buying a 06 FJR AE in Feb. and though I like it, I have it for sale and plan on a 07-09 FZ6. I know, Blasphemy. :D

Actually, it reminds me of the FZ6 guys wanting FZ1 bars - and then FZ1 guys wanting FZ6 bars. Tastes do range, and nothing wrong with that.. :thumbup:

CNY Fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
The reason I looked at the FJR to begin with was because the wife would not get on the FZ6. So tonight we went out for the 1st time 2up on the FJR. Its been 20 years since the 2 of us have been on a bike together. Stops and slow corners is going to take some time getting comfortable with. The auto clutch was real nice pulling away after being stopped at a light on a steep hill in traffic. ;) Out on the road the engine moved us along with no more effort than if there where only one person on it. Amazing. Best of all the wife had a great time. She mentioned Bluetooth. :thumbup:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just an FYI, from:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

Something you may want to have checked. On the FJR forum, most of the issue occurred when guys were putting on many electrical farkles...

Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA
SUMMARY:
YAMAHA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2006-2009 FJR1300 MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM FEBRUARY 2006, THROUGH MARCH 2009. THE GROUND JOINT CONNECTOR OF THE WIRE HARNESS COULD OVERHEAT AND BECOME DEFORMED, POSSIBLY CAUSING AN INTERMITTENT GROUND WIRE CONNECTION. IF THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM IS NOT PROPERLY GROUNDED, THE IGNITION SYSTEM AND/OR OTHER ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS COULD MALFUNCTION, WHICH COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL.
CONSEQUENCE:
IF THE MOTORCYCLE STALLS WHILE BEING RIDDEN, THERE COULD BE A CRASH RESULTING IN INJURY OR DEATH.
REMEDY:
YAMAHA DEALERS WILL INSTALL AN ADDITIONAL WIRE SUB-LEAD OR, IF THE GROUND JOINT CONNECTOR HAS ALREADY BEEN DAMAGED FROM OVERHEATING, DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW MAIN WIRE HARNESS. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 8, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-800-962-7926.
NOTES:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

CNY Fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site
Just an FYI, from:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

Something you may want to have checked. On the FJR forum, most of the issue occurred when guys were putting on many electrical farkles...

Manufacturer: YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA
SUMMARY:
YAMAHA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2006-2009 FJR1300 MOTORCYCLES MANUFACTURED FROM FEBRUARY 2006, THROUGH MARCH 2009. THE GROUND JOINT CONNECTOR OF THE WIRE HARNESS COULD OVERHEAT AND BECOME DEFORMED, POSSIBLY CAUSING AN INTERMITTENT GROUND WIRE CONNECTION. IF THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM IS NOT PROPERLY GROUNDED, THE IGNITION SYSTEM AND/OR OTHER ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS COULD MALFUNCTION, WHICH COULD CAUSE THE ENGINE TO STALL.
CONSEQUENCE:
IF THE MOTORCYCLE STALLS WHILE BEING RIDDEN, THERE COULD BE A CRASH RESULTING IN INJURY OR DEATH.
REMEDY:
YAMAHA DEALERS WILL INSTALL AN ADDITIONAL WIRE SUB-LEAD OR, IF THE GROUND JOINT CONNECTOR HAS ALREADY BEEN DAMAGED FROM OVERHEATING, DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEW MAIN WIRE HARNESS. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON JULY 8, 2011. OWNERS MAY CONTACT YAMAHA AT 1-800-962-7926.
NOTES:
OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV .

Thanks. the bike had the following done 700 miles prior to my purchase: :D
ECU recall
Ignition recall
Wire harness recall
Trunk plate reinforcement recall

Oil and filter
Drive shaft oil
Spark plugs
Front and rear tires