Exhaust Header Mod

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Took a look at my headers and decided they needed help!

Did a search about cleaning, polishing, etc. Great information on our web site. Sounded like a lot of work in the cold winter, even in a garage. So I decided to have them powdercoated.

Here is the before and after picture. I really like the new look. What do you folks think?

D

Dave.TX

Lipstick on a pig! Clean that engine!! The header looks nice though.

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good - now... I remember a few years ago, when I painted my extractors with heat proof paint on my Z750 twin. They also looked really good, until after a few heat/cool cycles. Then, unfortunately, they went from a nice closs black to a dull graphite colour. I'll be interested in seeing what they look like in a couple of weeks!

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good - now... I remember a few years ago, when I painted my extractors with heat proof paint on my Z750 twin. They also looked really good, until after a few heat/cool cycles. Then, unfortunately, they went from a nice closs black to a dull graphite colour. I'll be interested in seeing what they look like in a couple of weeks!

That's the difference between rattle can paint and getting them powder coated

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks awesome!! I was thinking though that powder coating wasn't for high heat applications? Let us know how this works out long term; subscribed

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks awesome!! I was thinking though that powder coating wasn't for high heat applications? Let us know how this works out long term; subscribed

Different powders can handle different temps, they have some powders that can handle temps over 1200*f and most steels will be glowing a dull orange at 1200 so that's f'n hot

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks All! The engine does look like sh!t! LOL, it's on my list to clean up this winter/spring.

The powdercoat is a special high heat, so it should not go bad over time. The guy that did the coat gave me a verbal "it won't ever go bad if it does, let me know". He was a real straight up guy that builds cafe racers on the side. He has a cool shop in Volo, IL. I'd recommend him if you have some powdercoating to do. He will do shipping, so if anyone is interested, PM me and I'll get ou his contact information.

I'll won't be riding until next spring, so the headers will be very nice at least until then! :BLAA: