Replacement Radiator fan for $60

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
So after refusing to pay $325 for a new fan that went on my 2007 I decided to search for an alternative. Well after measuring and searching I found, in my opinion, a better than OEM fan that fits with slight modification and use of the mounting brackets on the radiator and the wiring harness end.

I found this fan;

Spal Advanced Technologies 7.5in Puller FanStraight Blade 440CFM
Part number: 30100358

I purchased it here;

Spal Advanced Technologies 30100358 7.5in Puller FanStraight Blade 440CFM

It does not look like the picture though.

Anyway it comes with brackets for mounting and is slightly larger in diameter than the OEM fan, thats a good thing.

Pic 1 = shows the size and what it looks like,
Pic 2 = Radiator mounting brackets (can reuse screws from old fan.
Pic 3 = Wire must be at top and top hole on new fan housing will be used to mount to radiator.
Pic 4 = Brackets are attached to fan using bolt with Nylock locking nut. I used these because they are stainless steel. They are from Loews Hardware.
Pic 5 = Black plug is from old fan, white plug is new fan. The wire locations are reversed on the plug but the blades inside are the same.
Pic 6 = I removed the black OEM harness end, theres a release clip inside the clip (be careful to not break the release clip) then swapped blade positions as the new fan was the opposite of the old. Blue is Positive on new and old fans.
Pic 7 = 4 stainless steel washers are needed for the clearance of the fan to keep it away from the valve cover. They go between the block and the bottom radiator mounting bracket that is between the exhaust header pipes (see pic 10 below).
Pic 8 = the bottom mounting hole tab needs to be cut off to allow clearance of the bottom radiator bracket.
Pic 9 = shows the fan mounted with the ends off the supplied brackes cut off. (pic taken before I took pic 8).

Last edited:

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Pic 10 = shows the washers between the block and the lower radiator bracket, I highly suggest you don't skip this step.

I took off the radiator which made this job a lot easier and allowed me to flush and refill my coolant. I used 60% Distilled water and 40% coolant.

The fan kicked on at 210-212 and cooled it to 203 and then lower way faster than the OEM ever did. I would highly recommend this fan which is made by SPAL that seems to be a quality manufacturer. It is water tight and dust proof and should outlast the bike.

Any questions please post here.

Good luck!

Steve

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome job! Thanks for sharing this cuz as you know the FZ6 fan seems to be a subjest much too often. :)

guywithFX

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for looking up what size works and test fitting with pictures! I was just thinking about this as my bike was getting way to hot in rush hour traffic on Monday afternoon. Ordering a new fan was on my to-do list this week and you've just made it that much easier. :thumbup:

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Awesome job! Thanks for sharing this cuz as you know the FZ6 fan seems to be a subjest much too often. :)

Thanks for looking up what size works and test fitting with pictures! I was just thinking about this as my bike was getting way to hot in rush hour traffic on Monday afternoon. Ordering a new fan was on my to-do list this week and you've just made it that much easier. :thumbup:

No problem. :welcome: