Engine immobilising - Bike won't start

cambjones

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Everyone... I seem to have a strange problem... the 'key' light seems to be flashing red and the bike no longer starts. The oil temp also flashes. It did this twice before, yesterday and the day before. I turned the bike all the way to off, switched the alarm on and off and then it started again. last night when it wouldn't start I noticed that the seat catch had stuck open with all the mud that had flicked up there... I juggled it around and it worked again. Then switched the bike completely off and on etc and then it started...

Now this morning it is doing it again... but no matter what I do it seems to stay immobilised. I don't think it is the aftermarket alarm that is installed because it is the bike's 'key' light that is flashing and also the oil temp which flashes so I think it must be something to do with the bike...

I have not had a chance go do through the manual yet (running late for work this morning) so there might be an answer there... but thought I would check to see if anyone has had this problem before?

Cheers and thanks!!!

cambjones

Reaction score
Visit site
Kill switch?....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I thought that... but unfortunately not that easy...

When get home tonight I'm going to have a look at the manual... It seems as though it doesn't like something, so it is disabling the engine... (ie the flashing red key light and the oil temp flashing)

It is definitely not a result of overheating because this is first thing in the morning (in London where it is about 9 degrees at the moment)

chaskell27

Reaction score
Visit site
You mentioned something about a seat catch. Maybe it's just a terminology thing between the UK and the States but I am not aware of any kind of electrical switch connected to the seat or release mechanism. Can you clarify what and where you were talking about?

Aside from that, I would check with all of those switches that will prevent starting like the kill switch (I know you said it wasn't that but there have been other members that have had a faulty kill switch making faulty contacts) The bike may stall out at random times if this were the case though. Also check the kickstand switch. For whatever reason this is a common point of failure for a lot of members. You might check the ignition switch as well.

I guess a better question would be does the bike turn over and just not fire?

Can you hear the fuel pump buzzing when you turn the Key?

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
hmm, gessing.. it sounds like your aftermarket alarm fella.. My aftermarket car alarm would cut the engine if triggered/active... even if you had the key/rip the alarm out, the engine will not start/crank [depends on how they wired it in].

where did ya get your alarm fitted, was it fine prior to you have it fitted to your bike...? Usually the key should dis-engage the immobiliser [flashing red light when active]...have you tried another key..?

i could be way off here :BLAA:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would start at ground zero. Test the battery. Make sure connections are clean and secure. Check voltage. It may be running low voltage etc. Don't dismiss the kill switch yet. I've seen more than one case where it was intermittent and although the rider thought it was okay it wasn't.
As far as your alarm system: If the alarm has it's own separate immobilizer and you remove the alarm you must make sure the interrupted circuit is rewired to OEM spec. Does your bike have a factory immobilizer?

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
tried the red key?????
sounds like the alram is messing with your immo.....

JAZZ-n-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't the FZ6 have a sensor that shuts the motor off if there is a lack of oil pressure. You said your oil temp light is flashing...could it be your oil pressure light, and if so maybe your sensor is bad or worse your oil pump. Just an idea.

Hobbesca

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sounds like the alarm immobilizing the engine, I had this happen with my truck before. I had to get the keys recoded, generally when you have a key symbol or light flashing you are in effect locked out.

Sucks but i agree with the earlier post remove the aftermarket alarm rewire to spec and try it. The aftermarket alarm might be tripping the factory lock out (it sounds like you have the factory one) i would start checking fuses and connections to the alarm and work your way up from there.

Have you been through any really wet areas, puddles, rain etc damp connections with the lower temps could be a cause also.

Thats about all the brain storming i have, good luck

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hmm, gessing.. it sounds like your aftermarket alarm fella.. My aftermarket car alarm would cut the engine if triggered/active... even if you had the key/rip the alarm out, the engine will not start/crank [depends on how they wired it in].

where did ya get your alarm fitted, was it fine prior to you have it fitted to your bike...? Usually the key should dis-engage the immobiliser [flashing red light when active]...have you tried another key..?

i could be way off here :BLAA:

I don't think he has an after market alarm. From the OP's orig post, think he has a factory immobiliser

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cambjones

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your ideas...

It looks like it is the key encoding. I read the manual last night and tried the 'Red' key (as tomari also suggested) and that worked. Immobilising flashing red light no more. The other Spare key also works... however when I try the original key I have been using I get the problem back again... so looks like this key needs to be 're-registered' as the manual suggests... off to a Yamaha dealer I think..

I wonder if any mechanic can do this? I bet a Yamaha dealer will charge a lot for this.

I attached the section of the manual in case anyone else has this problem in the future and search this forum for answers. The only thing... the flashing sequence that the manual suggest (5 slow, 2 fast) was not the sequence I got... my was about 7 slow and a pause...

Anyway, thanks all for your ideas and I hope this one will turn out to be an easy fix...:thumbup:

Cheers

v1jay

Reaction score
Visit site
...have you tried another key..?

I think i was before tomari... lol :BLAA:

RE faulty key, i have had dealers program new key back into the ECU. You defo need ya red key for that, take it to the dealer with you. They didn't even charge us as it only takes 2 mins... don't ask me how they did it tho...

vj

cambjones

Reaction score
Visit site
I think i was before tomari... lol :BLAA:

RE faulty key, i have had dealers program new key back into the ECU. You defo need ya red key for that, take it to the dealer with you. They didn't even charge us as it only takes 2 mins... don't ask me how they did it tho...

vj

:BLAA: thanks v1jay, ok ok you win the prize!

thanks for the tip on the taking it into the dealer... I'll see how I go..

Cheers!

tomari

Just a custom user title!
Reaction score
Visit site
You can reprogram your key yourself in 2 mins, thats why there is a red key...manual states how to do it...

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
You could try reprogramming the faulty key first. There's 2-3 pages in the service manual that tells you how.

cambjones

Reaction score
Visit site
I'll have to have a look in the manual... if I can do it myself great...

I rang the Yamaha service center in SW London... and they will charge me 15mins labour.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
I "think" this is right:

1. Insert the red key into the ignition and turn it to "ON". The immobilizer indicator light should come on for 1 second and then go off.
2. With the red key still in the ignition, start the engine.
3. Shut off the engine and remove the red key. The immobilizer indicator light should start to blink after 30 seconds.
4. Insert the red key into the ignition and turn it to "ON", then "OFF" and then remove the key within 5 seconds.
5. Insert the black key into the ignition and turn it to "ON" within 5 seconds.
6. While the immobilizer indicator light is flashing, turn the black key to "OFF" and then remove the key.
7. Wait for the immobilizer indicator light to stop flashing. It should stop 5 seconds after you remove the black key.
8. If everything went OK, then you can use the black key to start the engine.

No credit to me - I found this elsewhere.

There's stuff in the service manual about never leave your ignition key near magnets i.e. loudspeakers, x-ray machines, nuclear reactors etc as they can wipe the code. Also never keep more than one coded key on the same keyring.

cambjones

Reaction score
Visit site
THANKS YOUNGY!!!! it worked!!!

And you know what is funny, I asked the guys at the Yamaha Service centre, "Is there anyway I can re-program the key myself because it is difficult to get into the service center", to which he first hesitated and said "No"

So they were going to make me come all the way in and charge me 15mins labour for something that take 4 minutes and you can do yourself.

What a way to kill loyalty, I will now avoid official Yamaha service centres at all costs. pricks....:Flip:

Thanks again Youngy!!!!