Engine immobilising - Bike won't start

brendan

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah I thought that... but unfortunately not that easy...

When get home tonight I'm going to have a look at the manual... It seems as though it doesn't like something, so it is disabling the engine... (ie the flashing red key light and the oil temp flashing)

It is definitely not a result of overheating because this is first thing in the morning (in London where it is about 9 degrees at the moment)
Hi There did you ever get this sorted? I have a similar problem and it is driving me nuts. The guys at the dealership have gone through the bike twice and cant find anything.

Turn the keys and the immobilser does not go off. The water temp flashes up and down even though the bike is ice cold.

Even stranger it only happens when the bike has been standing for longer than day where I live!!! It has not done it anywhere else. To get the bike going in the morning I now have to push it for 50 meters up the road. Once I am clear a certain distance from home it starts ok.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like something near your home is triggering the immobiliser. Does your neighbour have a ham radio transmitter or summat?

Last edited:

cambjones

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that is bizarre. I did get mine sorted, it was the chip in the key that needed replacing. It turned out to be more complicated that just reprogramming a key. There are a number of different kinds of chips that the keys come with. Some chips can be reprogrammed with the process that Youngy outlined (in this thread) and others need to be copied from the red key with a special copying machine.

There are guys south of London who can supply they keys and the chips if you need them. (Express Keys and Lock Services - Your local locksmith for Orpington, Bromley, Beckenham and Sevenoaks.) they are nice guys and pretty helpful, know a lot about the keys and immobilisers. (not cheap, £60 for the key and £60 for the programming if I remember correctly - no wonder they are so nice :). So it might be worth a trip down to see them, although your problem sounds odd with the vicinity aspect thrown in.

When my immobiliser was triggers, they bike turned on ok, the rev counter did its little show, all the lights when on, but you could not here the petrol priming (that pumping noise) and I think the immobiliser flashed.

Good luck!