• I wave at them every time

Votes: 131 65.8%
  • I'll wait for them to wave first

Votes: 68 34.2%

• Total voters

ccew

Reaction score
Visit site
Did a ride this past weekend. Most HD riders waved...but that may be because I was riding with a HD rider...and one i believe gave me the bird. LOL

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I only wave to bikes that are unique. The odd Guzzi or Ducati, or older Japanese bike. It would get old waving to every harley "owner" I see on the road.

This space intentionally left blank.

2old2ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Nope. But I don't wave at anybody, so it's not just bikers.
Ever had a bike stolen? I have had 3 stolen. Two Harlys and one cherry R5D (RD350E). I had just gotten the RD back from the shop where they did a port 'n polish. Ran strong for 24 hours then it was gone. I will go to my grave thinking the shop stole it to use the engine at the track.
Regardless, I know it wasn't a house wife in a Buick that stole any of them. It was another biker.
When riding I don't see traffic as individual vehicles. Everything on the road is either threat or non threat. I pay attention to the threats with half an eye on the non threats in case they change status. Motorcycles are non-threats, unless I'm part of a group in which case I keep an eye on the ones closest to me. Or the ones doing weird 5hit. :eek:

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
At first, I waved to everyone.

Third season in... I only wave at Harley's if they wave first. I agree they are "too good to wave at us lowly jap bike riders".

Once, I had a moto cop wave at me first. I was riding my Triumph Sprint with a fellow lady rider on her Gizzer. I guess he appreciated lady riders....

However, two observations I have made are:

Harley riders will wave at women jap bike riders (lol) if they realize in time.
Usually the last Harley rider in a group will wave because I think he thinks his buddies won't notice which protects his over inflated "H-D" ego.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
I wave at everyone regardless waving back or not - we are all riders on sharing the road ...

My story that one HD rider passed me fast on 405 the most busiest fw of california, he waved at me and I waved back. Next 2 min, he fell down...I stopped and asked if he needed any help (while some car drivers were already out to help him standing up the bike and dragged it over the shoulder). He spoke friendly "nah, i'm good bud..thanks for asking.."

So thinking about it...you don't know when you need help while on the road,,so be nice each other and people will come to help you if that day's called!

Another story, 405 fw again, a R6 passed 50mph (while splitting/filtering on yellow & white lines of carpool lane) me quick and rev'ed without waving..I was saying myself "man it's traffic stop/go on 405 and narrowed lanes..what you wanted to ride like...maniac like you...please slow down.."

Well, that wasn't long about 5 mins, he laid down and another rider rushed to help him ...he's ok but I guess it must have been broken leg..and not much car drivers or rider stopping by to help the guy (one must have been his friends)...

The stories above....if being a dick, you will be by yourself..karma is all around us!

Koissu

Reaction score
Visit site
I've only been riding since September but I really get a kick out of waving. I never understood it until I got on a bike for the first time. I like to assume they are having as much fun as I am and want to share it! That being said, I do tend to wait until they wave first but I think I'll change that.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
In my mind, you really think too highly of yourself if you think that non Harley riders envy you and, therefore, don't deserve a return. For that reason, I often decline to initiate a wave to a Harley rider. BTW, many of them seem to really get excited (and expect others too, also) thundering at high RPM's just to get to the next light on a short, busy city block. It can even startle some pedestrians. But, you know, it's not only a US thing. Harleys (with exhaust modified) are popular also in Italy.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
In the military, even officers salute back to privates. Now, you take some Harley riders (and also some others) ...it's almost like they're saying, "respect? Get a 'real' bike" or something. Still, Iwill initiate a wave to a Harley rider but not always. I used to know one HD owner who, probably after a few beers, might start a bar fight with a non HD owner.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I wave at most bikes but if they don't wave back I just give them the bird :Flip:
of course by this point I am long past them. I'm one bad a** mofo , need to get some leather.

2007Z6ALL-LED

Reaction score
Visit site
All I wave everyone whether or not being waved back :) (of course when it's safe to do so as always keep to hands on the handle bar)

I learned from most of incident - the moment of being ****y or show-off is the time all crash happen!

I saw one guy being so cool, loud exhaust, cool HD bike, the look was so "outlaw" outfits! He rev''ed, he flapped all the cagers...and all the commute bikers were slowing down to let him passed way way further and bump! A cager crossed the doubled-double-yellow line to the carpool lane he flew over 10 feet. It must have been his legs and/or back hurt.

Commute bikers passed by and believe or not, none stopped for him..he watched at everyone of commute biker passed with a confused face. I guess he couldn't have understood until he's on the ambulance's bed..

Have a safe riding my fellow riders!

funkycold

Reaction score
Visit site
In the military, even officers salute back to privates. Now, you take some Harley riders (and also some others) ...it's almost like they're saying, "respect? Get a 'real' bike" or something. Still, Iwill initiate a wave to a Harley rider but not always. I used to know one HD owner who, probably after a few beers, might start a bar fight with a non HD owner.

I used to ride a harley and I waved at other bikers regardless of what they rode. Most Harley riders don't have that "Harley or nothing" attitude, just the posers who ride a Harley for image reasons rather than the love of motorcycling. Most of us other Harley riders didn't like those dudes either.

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
I try to wave every chance I get, but it's usually the custom bike type riders that don't wave back, that is WHEN the other rider doesn't wave.
It's also funny because my cage is an Alfa Romeo and over here Alfa Romeo drivers wave at each other which is pretty cool. But in that group there is a huge amount of drivers that don't wave back/don't know about it! What makes it funny is that when I'm on the bike and see an Alfa I almost wave, and the same thing when I'm in the car and see a bike. :Flash:

NuterDuck

Reaction score
Visit site
I really dont care if you ride a Harley (cruiser), a crotch-rocket, a scooter or whether or not you are wearing colors - If you are riding, you are "family" and I will greet you as such. If someone doesn't reciprocate the gestur, I (perhaps naively) assume it's because they either did not notice or they were busy riding their bike.