• I wave at them every time

Votes: 131 65.8%
  • I'll wait for them to wave first

Votes: 68 34.2%

• Total voters

upshiftoverdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
I initiate the wave to Harley riders. When I know for sure that they aren't going to wave back (i.e. staring straight ahead not acknowledging me), before they pass completely I remove both my hands from the handlebars and furiously wave with both hands like I am crazy.

That usually gets a better reaction.

Sort of like this: [video]https://goo.gl/images/NwThoQ[/video]

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you ever wonder if there is a thread on Harley sites about waving at anyone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malloc()

Reaction score
Visit site
I wave/node everyone in two wheels with an engine and won't let hanging anyone in other vehicles or not that wave at me.

Here in Ireland is more popular the nodding than waving, it's a little more difficult to wave with the incoming traffic in the right. The leg out is also widely around Europe. Also, noticed that in the weekends people is more prone to waving, maybe less worried in getting to work or out of it.

BTW: I'm thinking in getting an HD as second bike, I like how they sound.

Doug Fresh

Reaction score
Visit site
ds, Make of bike don't matter with regards to waving. I ride both a Harley and an FZ6...and a beautiful GS850GX. That said, I usually wait for the other guy to wave. Personally, I think the whole waving thing is needless. I know riders are a brotherhood. And I'm going to help any stranded rider, regardless what he/she rides.

Ital

Reaction score
Visit site
as far as I can tell in CT we all wave... i do forget occasionally and then I feel bad... lol
it is not really a wave, what they do we extend the hand down and out... almost like a low five, drive by.. :)
In Italy no one waves so this is new to me... haha

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ital,

When I returned to riding a few years ago, a friend explained to me that the current way to "wave" is to extend two fingers, index & middle, and then point them to the ground. That's supposed to mean something like "keep the rubber on the road and the shiny side up."

When I started riding in the 70's the wave was more of a salute. You would raise your left arm, keeping your palm forward, and then make a fist.

Chris

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Ital,

When I returned to riding a few years ago, a friend explained to me that the current way to "wave" is to extend two fingers, index & middle, and then point them to the ground. That's supposed to mean something like "keep the rubber on the road and the shiny side up."

Chris

It's my understanding, that "finger wave" is primarily done by Harley guys and the actual hand "symbol" is supposed to represent a "V" , for the V-Twin Harley.

I've owned two Harleys in my life. On my 2001 Wide Glide, got the down "V" wave ALL the time.. On any other brand bike, NEVER...

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott. Your explanation makes more sense.

I've seen the downward V sign from riders on all sorts of bikes so I didn't think it was a Harley thing.

I'm going to keep waving, but I think I'll use a Fonzie type thumbs up. :thumbup:

Chris

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Scott. Your explanation makes more sense.

I've seen the downward V sign from riders on all sorts of bikes so I didn't think it was a Harley thing.

I'm going to keep waving, but I think I'll use a Fonzie type thumbs up. :thumbup:

Chris

That's what they down here but there's so many bikes, 365 days of riding (for the most part).,

Again down here, 99% of HD guys/gals, no helmet, bandana, "tough guy" look. Once in a great while I'll get a low wave from one and return it.

"Go fast" bike riders generally give a "nod" (or low wave) probably 50% of the time, I usually give a low wave to them (as there's not nearly as many of them 15% maybe?)

Now Cliff, riding a Jap, V twin, I dunno know about that... HD wanna be?? ;) (Just kidding of course!)

Last edited:

vinmansbrew

Reaction score
Visit site
Neither answer works for me. Some times I wave, just depends on the situation. If I'm in traffic that is constantly jockeying for lane position, no ones getting a wave. Otherwise, bike type doesn't matter to me. I have noticed that when I went to a single, round headlight, cruiser riders DID wave more. They must be fooled into thinking it's a different type of bike.

deathjam4

Reaction score
Visit site
I was taught by my dad to wave at any one on a bike. I wave to ebikes and scooters every once and a while but they never wave back cause they don't know to :p Most times ill just pop out my hand on passing or if i am in a turn i nod to them. I do miss people every once and a while mostly cause i was not looking that particular direction at the time. can't catch every one all the time :p