• I wave at them every time

Votes: 131 65.8%
  • I'll wait for them to wave first

Votes: 68 34.2%

• Total voters

LFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I wave at all of them if it's safe. If I pass them in the other lane (of a road with more than 2 lanes going one way)I will usually give them a friendly thumbs up or a wave on the way around them.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Does it really matter if they *wave* back or not? Putting your hand out and towards the ground is a way of saying you recognize another rider. A fellow 2-wheel enthusiast. Don't even look at them to see if you get the *wave* back.. concentrate on the road.

I couldn't care less what sort of motorcycle the oncoming rider is on and if he waves back or not. I always put my hand out, if it's safe to do so.

P.S. there's no waving in Europe (unless things have changed in the last 10 years). Motorcyclist worry about riding, not collecting waves. :thumbup:
I agree with Eric, I wave to everyone kids on bikes, kids in cars, sheep, cows, other bikes and two-wheel riders and even cruiser riders. I'm not sure about the European wave thing but I came across a small group of riders touring from Germany and they waved with their legs ( a foot off the peg and the leg externally rotated). I have seen French riders wave with their hands.
If its safe to wave then I do, if not I will nod. Nothing better than spreading the MC love and respect.

Nelly

chunkygoat

Reaction score
Visit site
Check out the story in the latest issue of Motorcycle Consumer News (good rag) by Fred Rau on waving. Pretty entertaining and he has some pretty stringent rules when it comes to waving like do you wave at all the bikes when a procession of them rides by? <JK>

I pull out the my air revolver and pretend to shoot them all down, blow out the barrel at the end too. I even make the noises in my head sometimes.

I wave if it's safe and my hand isn't on the clutch, regardless of what kind of bike it is.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wave to all riders if it is safe to do so. I used to feel annoyed when other riders did not wave back but have since toughened up a bit...lol. It's more of an acknowledgement of fellow riders for me.
+1 I really shouldn't get so bent out of shape but often I let out a "DICK!" or "A-hole!" lol

How do you guys feel about waving on the freeway? I normally don't but some riders wave on the freeway so I tend to try and throw my hand out there at 70 mph in the 3 second window that we can see each other.
I do it and it's probably more rewarding than the usual returns if I get a reply!

Personally, since this thread was made, I want to wave to all those deserving (don't often wave to cars that move over from blocking the left lane while driving slow out of anger that they're improperly using the lane but I should still help keep the motorcycle image positive)

Harley riders and scooters will always get a wave from me but now I'm considering starting it up for bicyclists as a social experiment to see their response (attractive females as well...just don't tell my g/f....this is strictly for Science! :rolleyes: )

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday, while waiting first in line at a red light, (inside lane), the passenger, on an HD, gave me the "V" wave down low!! I gave a big nod (hand was on the clutch).

Surprise, surprise!!! :thumbup:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday, while waiting first in line at a red light, (inside lane), the passenger, on an HD, gave me the "V" wave down low!! I gave a big nod (hand was on the clutch).

I think it's helping as more of the younger generations grow into HDs or simply grown up on them, we'll have less of the old style mentality that stereotypically plagues the HDs that would not be as awesome as the one you encountered.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's helping as more of the younger generations grow into HDs or simply grown up on them, we'll have less of the old style mentality that stereotypically plagues the HDs that would not be as awesome as the one you encountered.

Hopefully your right.

The passenger had a helmet on (driver didn't), but I couldn't tell the age as they waved at the last second when they saw me and were just past me.

Caught me off guard, been at least a year since I've seen the "V". :Sport:

Speaking of which something I've heard, others please chime in...

I've heard the regular HD riders "don't care for" the V-Rod bikers as their NOT true Harleys (air cooled).

Last edited:

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Speaking of which something I've heard, others please chime in...

I've heard the regular HD riders "don't care for" the V-Rod bikers as their NOT true Harleys (air cooled).

That is correct! This is just one of the many reasons why I love my VRod. Funny thing is the new baggers ARE "semi liquid cooled." What ever that means... I guess the liquid cooled heads are what they are referring... The air heads (true hd riders) always ask me " is that there one of them new fangled water cooled things?" I reply, you mean my 10 year old VRod? Yep! It is. Hence why I do not wave to the ditch pump riders. I deal with a lot of ignorance at work. I refuse to deal with it when I'm off duty enjoying one of my favorite thinks in the world to do... riding my bike! So again, no I do not wave unless its another VR a FZ, or a busa with a streched swing arm! LOL!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site

I give bikers thumbs up or V's all the time from my cage, if they happen to glance my way.

That's generally a sign of a biker in a cage wishing he was on his/her/a bike like you. :)

CanBC-Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I usually wait for HD riders to wave, as I have been snubbed many times. Reading this thread it makes me re think that though, I will start waving to everyone who cares.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Originally Posted by Bill
Hence why I do not wave to the ditch pump riders.

What does this mean!? lol Is that a derogatory term for people who ride strictly to save fuel??

I took it as, in the old days, (literally decades ago and maybe to this day), old Harley engines, were used as pump motors. They sat out in the field running all day, (with no movement cooling to speak of, just radiating heat).

The reason, I guess, water pumps in the growing fields (ditches) out in the middle of nowhere....

Not to get off track, but besides preferring to ride than be in a cage, yes, I prefer getting close to 50 MPG vs 18-20MPG in my SUV.

Last edited:

sniff6

Be nice i am
Reaction score
Visit site
Harley's latest innovation...

redneck_harley.jpg

(Nothing against Harley riders really) :rolleyes:

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Harley's latest innovation...

redneck_harley.jpg

(Nothing against Harley riders really) :rolleyes:

I'd wave at that! :rockon:
I especially like the combination foot peg/frame sliders, I mean you would not your frame to get out of square if you had a mishap and the adjustable front suspension of course....

PhotoAl

Reaction score
Visit site
Always wave at everyone. Interestingly, when the weather is warm and dry nobody on a Harley waves back! However when it is cold and or rainy everyone waves! Waved to a Harley rider about a month ago and he waved back - they I realized he was a cop! Thought that was pretty cool.

yaminator

roll, roll me away
Reaction score
Visit site
I wave at a because of what we have in common on the roads, whether or not the other guy feels this and/or our bikes are similar. Often I can't tell until afterwards it was a Harley anyway. True, many Harley dudes won't wave back, I think it's because they've been "sold" a particular image that they must maintain where, even if he's a floral arranger, he's someone else badass when on his Harley and he wants to exude this. I feel sorry if that's the case because there's no way they're having as much fun as me, which is partly why I'm waving in the first place--it's the feeling of freedom amongst the cagers and knowing that the other biker has the same worries as me! Whether it's a Harley or not, if the other guy doesn't wave it's because a) he ain't the greeting kind, b) it was too late before saw me, so I sometimes see a late nod, or 3) he's using that hand to steady the bike, shift, etc. Just keep an open mind-you never know what they're thinking without talking. They can't say "oops I missed your wave, buddy". Yes I love my fz6, I'm proud of it and we got quite an affair BUT my other bike is a 30 year old 1100 V4 Magna cruiser/chopper that I have the same love for. I may as well be a whole different dude on that bike in the eyes of my biker brothers...ah, humanity.

LeeFZ

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd wave to anybody on two wheels especially HD riders. However I do feel snubbed sometimes when they don't wave back. Some of them they just hate sportbike riders and they generalized. But some of them they understand. One time a HD rider pulled over and let me pass on the twisties; and i respect that. Personally I also like Harley Davidson. The bikes are great. I've ridden a couple of them and I felt in love every time. There're some HD riders that just ride from home to bar, or trailer their bike to bike show, not me!! I'd ride as long as there's no snow on the ground.

JMalmsteen

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a current Harley rider. I would hope that you guys would wave to Harley riders :)
The people who don't wave back when I am on any of my cruiser bikes are the sport bike guys. They don't wave back normally!
-Jen