• I'll wait for them to wave first

Votes: 68 34.2%

• Total voters

Bill

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I bet only motorcycle riders have these discussions about waving. I own a VRod and on that forum it comes up every so often if they wave to "Jap" bikes even though it might be a BMW or a Ducati, it's all the same in some of their eyes... Don't think Jeep guys wave at the Hummer guys. Or the Camaro guys wave at the Mustang guys. Personally, I don't wave unless you on an FZ or VRod. I will not wave at the ditch pump riders.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Def

Reaction score
Visit site
I wave to all riders if it is safe to do so. I used to feel annoyed when other riders did not wave back but have since toughened up a bit...lol. It's more of an acknowledgement of fellow riders for me.

granda080

Reaction score
Visit site
I like to wave like a crazy person...granted when it's safe, but I wave at whatever bike. I don't even care if it has a motor. Cyclist seem to get a kick out of some asshat waving like a loon. I also like to wave at joggers...if they are milfs I'll do the old point and shoot LOL...this is the truth :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wave at everybody. I don't need to be a motorcycle rider to form some identity that's lacking in me. I like who I am when I'm riding and when I'm just hangin out, looking at my belly button while contemplating the universe.

I was talking to a friend (a Harley rider) about this thread today and we both agree we just plain love riding. :)

I'll also flip you the bird just as fast! Lol! :Flip:

Circle

Reaction score
Visit site
Really great to hear that the wave is on! Especially by so many!

The nod is big down here. (I tend to save the wave for mates but I do wave fellow FZ6ers)

To pass the time colleagues and I who ride at work keep a little weekly tally. Extra points for police, scooters, cruisers and posties (got a nod from these chaps? Hard!) It's more for fun than anything serious, but I enjoy the positivity!

joey.logue

Reaction score
Visit site
I wave at everyone. I see a lot of Harley riders that think they are too good to wave back, but I also see some that do wave. When I first started riding, I noticed a lot of Harley riders didn't wave back, so I stopped waving at them. Then one day, I met one and thought, "Oh, there's a Harley...I'm not even gonna bother waving." And then he waved at me as I passed by. I know a lot of people that ride Harleys and want to put down anyone that rides anything else. I also know people that ride Harleys just because that is what they like, and are not "bikers" and don't care what anyone else rides. I guess it is hit or miss, but I wave anyway.

Jorosv

Reaction score
Visit site
P.S. there's no waving in Europe (unless things have changed in the last 10 years). Motorcyclist worry about riding, not collecting waves. :thumbup:

You couldn't be further from the truth there, there is waving in most countries I have ridden in the UK, Bulgaria, Germany, Spain. The only 2 countries where the waving occurs only on the freeway is Italy and Greece mostly because there are hundres and thousands of motorcyclists in towns and cities.

callmegandhi

IM4TH
Reaction score
Visit site
I wave at them all the time. It's not there fault they can't wave back, they would lose control because of all the oil spraying all over the back tire.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Too funny.

Myself, I usually wait for them to initiate it unless they look "waveable." By far, it's the HD riders who are the ones who will blow off my wave and ignore me. They are a part of elite riders who don't need to acknowledge wannabees. It's laughable to me how anybody can get so wrapped up in self ego but Harley seems to attract its share of them.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In these parts ~85% HD riders wave back or have initiated the wave. I think Fizzer6 found some truth in the "no gear, no wave" but I find that applies more to the SQUIDS on the SS's.

Cage observation: to the east of my location, cage drivers kindly pull over and let me pass (we're in the woods pretty much). To the west, no dice. Its a different culture.

Carlos840

Reaction score
Visit site
Cage observation: to the east of my location, cage drivers kindly pull over and let me pass (we're in the woods pretty much). To the west, no dice. Its a different culture.

Do you guys also foot wave when a car does that?

In France, Germany and Belgium (I'm sure other European countries do it to) it is common practice to extend your right foot down and out as you pass the car, to say thank you.

Quite a high percentage of car drivers will try to hold their right to let you pass...

We also do that when overtaking another biker.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Down here, there's so many bikes, probably 80% are Harleys. I don't wave at anyone (unless its a FZ), or they initiate it then I'll return it.

*Should you get the chance to ride a Harley, pay attention (you won't see it otherwise). At least down here, its really not a wave but a "V" (like a two finger, V, peace symbol, upside down) for the V-twin...

Last edited:

Ssky0078

Reaction score
Visit site
As a little experiment, next time you go out in public, put a smile on your face, make eye contact with people and nod. You will find that more than half the people will instinctualy do the same in return. If you spot a HD rider far enough in advance then throw the wave out, if it seems like they are either oblivious or holding on for dear life, then you know they are just doing the best they can to stay alive, let them be on their way.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I only wave at stretched 'Busa's with 340mm tires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Frakes Overdrive

Reaction score
Visit site
I wave at everyone when it's safe. Took a nice trip today down to Mark Twain National Forest. Got about 80% returns. I think at least more than 50% of the Harley dudes waved back. I'm finally getting past the whole annoyed for not waving back thing, I'm having fun and I'm gonna let you know whether you care or not.

Today I was on a nice straightaway and clear for miles when I saw the tell tale signs of a Go-Pro on a guy's helmet coming head on, so I gave him the Parade Queen wave like some idiot. Also committed the cardinal sin of waving at a car. In my defense he was pointing at me out the window and throwing a thumbs up.

banjoboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hell yeah; either the queen wave or finger. :D

Here's me wave'n ta one broken down on the side of the road.
3442_522828444408243_1907740326_n.jpg

Recluse420

Reaction score
Visit site
This sounds stupid but if I can see your face I don't wave, I don't wave if I can see the skin on your body either. I used to wave all the time but stopped waving to the chopper guys for said reason and I also stopped waving to scooters I feel they are even worse than the chopper guys. One time I was at a stop light and a scooter was in the opposing lane, I waved and got nothing. I waived again but stuck my arm up higher, nothing. I then waved both hands in the air, nothing. I'm sure it was because she was white knuckling her Vespa...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now that I have PivotPegs and handlebar risers on my beemer, I no longer wave; I stand up straight and give 'em all a crotch grab.
It's very therapeutic. :thumbup: :D