Do you pull the clutch in all the way while shifting?

goran21220

Reaction score
Visit site
Everyone excuse my bad english! Is it necessary to pull the clutch all the way every time i'm shifting? It seems like an inch in would be enough to do the job done.I don't use the clutch while upshifting while i'm in the 8k rpm and up range but i don't go that fast all the time... I tried downshifting while pulling the clutch lever in only an inch or even less and it was smooth. Am i hurting the transmission by doing this??

W

wrightme43

Its the way to go to me too. All the plates have to do is unload the gears for split second and switch.

lonesoldier84

SuperFlanker Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
ive heard of upshifting without using the clutch.....how does this work and when is it recommended??

Avalon786

Reaction score
Visit site
W

wrightme43

How to do it. with why it works after.

Accelerate briskly. Preload the shifter with your toe. As your reach 8k rpm to redline, quickly roll off a little throttle then right back on. Just a little. The gears will unload for a split second, releasing them to change. When you pull in the clutch you are unloading the gears thats what allows it to shift. When the gears are meshed and loaded they keep themselves together. Its a pretty firm one from 1st to 2cnd. It takes working on to get that one smooth. I would suggest practicing from 2cnd to third and up. In the upper gears it gets easier and you can do it at lower rpm levels too, its just easier to get the hang off it from second to third. After you practice it awhile you wont use the clutch much upshifting. Another thing to practice is that cool blip when down shifting.

Here is a excersise from a book.

Practice shifting quickly from 2cnd to 4th matching rpm, but maintaining the same speed without moving the chassis up or down. Then back down again. About 40 is perfect.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
I never pull the lever all the way in. I only need to move it a small amount to get good shifts. 2nd to 6th I usually try not to use any clutch at all - it's extremely smooth once you figure out how to do it.

B

bluenova

I use 2 fingers, pre-load the gear shifter and either blip throttle or pull the clutch depending on the situation, so no when using the clutch I pull it till the gear engages and release. I only pull it all the way in when stopping.

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

travisj37

Humble FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
yamaha-fz6.blogspot.com
Nope, I hardly ever pull in the clutch all the way when shifting, either up or down. The only time I pull the clutch in all the way is when I'm coming to a stop at a stop light.

I'm just getting the hang of the clutchless shifting that others have posted about, and that makes for some pretty smooth shifting.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
Your avatar is upside down, lol.

I hardly pull the clutch in on shifts.

I do clutchless upshifting most of the time. Down shifting I like to rev match. (The thing wrightme was talking about with reving them down shifting.)

Have the clutch engange at the end of the throw makes it nice for shifting quickly with the clutch.

-bryan

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your avatar is upside down, lol.

I hardly pull the clutch in on shifts.

I do clutchless upshifting most of the time. Down shifting I like to rev match. (The thing wrightme was talking about with reving them down shifting.)

Have the clutch engange at the end of the throw makes it nice for shifting quickly with the clutch.

-bryan

You beat me to it Bryan! It's the anti-Yamaha!

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
LoL. I saw that and was like, uh... wait a minute that looks funny. Some one must have mirrored the image across the X-axis...

-bryan

travisj37

Humble FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
yamaha-fz6.blogspot.com
Why pull it all the way to the bar at a stop (on our bike)? You're using 4 fingers when you do this?

It's just more comfortable for me, that's all. There's definitely no technical reason for it. In fact, I've never really thought about not pulling it in all the way at a stop, it's just habit by now, I guess.

W

wrightme43

I do it to. I dont know why. Just a habit. As it comes time to turn green, I let it till it touchs than back in a hair. I dont really have any good reason either.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Personal preference is good enough for me. :thumbup: I'm just in the habit of keeping as many digits wrapped around the bars as possible while still mainting instant access to the controls...my technique continues to evolve...this is even more important when you're riding a lil' 125 2T in the woods (full throttle clutching at slow speed :steve:)