Collapsable Motorbike Helmet.... don't think so

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
Bunch of nay sayers,

Imagine what people thought when this other bright thinker introduced her idea?
The History of Kevlar - Stephanie Kwolek

Nelly

It's a bit of a stretch for a comparison, don't you think? Super duper strong, lightweight stuff that performs better than it's metal counterpart vs. a helmet that, by design, has places where it is not strong enough to protect a head?

tcmalker

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
none of you nay sayers, I think, have an engineering degree, so you can't say much about her project. It might possibly work and revolutionize the helmet industry.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a bit of a stretch for a comparison, don't you think? Super duper strong, lightweight stuff that performs better than it's metal counterpart vs. a helmet that, by design, has places where it is not strong enough to protect a head?
Its not the comparison of products I was getting at. It's the embracing of new thinking that I was highlighting.

Nelly

08fz6

Make no excuses!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
She did more than most people dream of. She had a problem and she found a way to fix it. The article said that she met the safety standards. It looks like it is pointed towards scooters. To be honest half the helmets people on this forum wear I wouldn't put on my head, such as Gmax......... I won't wear a helmet under $250....

ScoobieDee

Reaction score
Visit site
She did more than most people dream of. She had a problem and she found a way to fix it. The article said that she met the safety standards. It looks like it is pointed towards scooters. To be honest half the helmets people on this forum wear I wouldn't put on my head, such as Gmax......... I won't wear a helmet under $250....

Because if it costs more it must be better, right?

I just bought a brand new scorpion helmet for $70, dot and snell certified. It isn't as fancy looking as some of the more expensive ones, but it is just as safe, if not safer, than most.

aziebell

Reaction score
Visit site
I just did a quick Bell and Arai search, and all the Bell helmets were rated higher than the Arai's that were tested. Even the lower cost Bell helmets got 5 stars. May have to read up on the testing more after work today, just thought it was interesting. Also, the Shoei RF-1100 wasn't on the list :(

segue00

Burrrppppp, aaaaaahhhh
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Where would we be if the wheel never got invented? Oh, where would we be if nobody thought of using two wheels in-line and ride in between them? Oh--- and where would we be if nobody thought of using rubber for the wheels..... Oh and where would we be if nobody thought of blowing air in the tire for the wheels?

chuckfz6ryder

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know enough about the design to comment, but I know a lot of people don't trust modular helmets, but lots use them. I guess it's what risks you're willing to take. Remember, lots of riders are OK with no helmet.

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I can't believe the line in the article that says "Almost 50 years had passed without innovation in motorcycle helmet design". Look at a helmet from the 1950's, bet it doesn't look anything like my carbon fiber full face helmet with vents, nevermind the actual improvements in the liners/padding materials.

Last edited:

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
While I applaud her thinking, right off the bat it has some serious flaws.

A few years ago a guy started collecting helmets that had been through a crash. He collected about 100 helmets (all full face) if memory serves. And had a new all white helmet, using a sharpy marker he made an X on the white helmet for ever impact he observed on one of the crashed helmets. The end result was the top of the white helmet was clean, with all X's extending the circumference of the helmet from about temple level down, with the majority occurring in the chin bar/face shield area.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
While I applaud her thinking, right off the bat it has some serious flaws.

A few years ago a guy started collecting helmets that had been through a crash. He collected about 100 helmets (all full face) if memory serves. And had a new all white helmet, using a sharpy marker he made an X on the white helmet for ever impact he observed on one of the crashed helmets. The end result was the top of the white helmet was clean, with all X's extending the circumference of the helmet from about temple level down, with the majority occurring in the chin bar/face shield area.
Those impact findings were also supported in the HURT report.

McLovin

plain evil
Reaction score
Visit site
Collapsable to a size that makes it significantly more convenient with our current technology? I doubt it. The technology that is going to make this possible should revolutionize the head protection gear industry.