Cam chain tensioner - help!!

AlexL

Shiny Side Up
Reaction score
Visit site
Back from the dead. I am reviving this thread because I am experiencing the sound described by the OP. Sounds like marbles in the top end. Not valvetrain noise, not my chain, and despite my exhaust being super loud I have actually picked up on this new different noise. Not super loud but you can hear it rattling just off idle when taking off. I found the OEM replacement on bike bandit for $106 and I'm going to pull the trigger. The bike only has 14,000 miles but the $106 seems worth it for a little insurance.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Back from the dead. I am reviving this thread because I am experiencing the sound described by the OP. Sounds like marbles in the top end. Not valvetrain noise, not my chain, and despite my exhaust being super loud I have actually picked up on this new different noise. Not super loud but you can hear it rattling just off idle when taking off. I found the OEM replacement on bike bandit for $106 and I'm going to pull the trigger. The bike only has 14,000 miles but the $106 seems worth it for a little insurance.

I agree I've heard a couple of loud CCT's and it is good insurance to change it out. Just be careful and keep the chain from jumping a tooth....

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
I've been thinking about doing the same thing here lately, like you said - cheap insurance (I should hit 16,000 miles on the clock some time tomorrow). Let us know how it goes and if you can (I know it's hard) see if you can record the engine sound before and after the tensioner replacement.

REO Scorpio

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I changed mine last year with about 6k hoping to get rid of the noise. I think I got mine for $87 online.

Replacement went fine; small hands would have helped. Don't think I messed anything up, but sound is the same. Both tensioners seemed identical in terms of their operation/noise.

Hope it clears it all up for you, though. My reasoning was the same; for $100, why not!

Scorp

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

mave2911

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did a service on my bike yesterday, and while I was warming it up after the change to check the oil, I thought I heard a similar noise - definitely from the top end, and again, at a really small rev range.

My first thought was it sounded like cam chain...

So, can anybody provide a link for an inexpensive replacement?

My bike is a 2005 FZ6 with (now) 30628kms on it.

The previous owner did 22000kms in 6 years!

And possibly slight related, the oil I used both last change and this change is Motul 7100 10W40, but the book recommends 10W30 (-10° to +30°+) or 20W40 (+5° to +40°+) - have I covered my bases here (local temp range is -2° to +40°+ centigrade.

Cheers,
Rick

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
All I can say is definitely change your cam chain tensioner every twenty thousand miles. The hydraulic auto tensioner that is oem on an fz6 just does not have the life span. Mine went at 26000 miles. Capital "N" Noises from the top end. Me scratching my head, then waiting a month and a half while Yamaha rebuilt the engine under warranty. New valves cams cylinders pistons. I can't imagine the cost if I had to pay. I replaced the tensioner again at 45000 miles so as to avoid a repeat performance on my dime. I replaced the chain and guides too, though they looked beautiful when I got inside. Now at 76,000 miles, I'm going to switch to a manual tensioner. I'll let you know how that goes. But definitely DO NOT IGNORE THIS. If you hear noise, it's too late. I can't stress how fundamentally important this lousy little piece is. It is responsible for keeping your engine from literally bashing it's own head in. And it's an easy thing to swap out. Get the YAMAHA factory manual, in actual paper, not cd-rom, and follow it's instructions. Change your tensioner. That's all I can recommend. Other than that, check your four motor mount bolts for wear and torque. They are small, and I've discovered two cracked ones. And anti-sieze everything.
Love,
Simon

The factory tensioner is not hydraulic, simply a wound up spring inside a housing. There may be a hole in the housing for some oil to weep in there and prevent rust/binding etc, but it doesn't work off oil pressure, strictly the spring tension.. Agreed, if you hear any rattling, especially on the right side, replace the tensioner..

With time,the spring looses tension and fails. On rare occassions, the inner spring will break, causing immediate failure. The FJR's use a similar set up and have an updated, replacement tensioner.. (I don't know what the difference is)..

Some BMW's have actual hydraulic tensioners that operate on oil pressure. There have been numerous failures, especially when the bike is just started, with NO oil pressure, to push the tensioner out. BMW's fix was to put a guide in the area to keep the chain from jumping a tooth upon start up (not covered under warranty)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The factory tensioner is not hydraulic, simply a wound up spring inside a housing. There may be a hole in the housing for some oil to weep in there and prevent rust/binding etc, but it doesn't work off oil pressure, strictly the spring tension.. Agreed, if you hear any rattling, especially on the right side, replace the tensioner..

With time,the spring looses tension and fails. On rare occassions, the inner spring will break, causing immediate failure. The FJR's use a similar set up and have an updated, replacement tensioner.. (I don't know what the difference is)..

Some BMW's have actual hydraulic tensioners that operate on oil pressure. There have been numerous failures, especially when the bike is just started, with NO oil pressure, to push the tensioner out. BMW's fix was to put a guide in the area to keep the chain from jumping a tooth upon start up (not covered under warranty)

The 09 R1 had the oil pressure type tensioner and I think it was the 09 and 10 years were recalled for replacement.

Yes the FZ6 is spring tension. Those that are looking for the manual type, APE is the company that makes them.

Be careful! Had a guy here in SD who was doing his CCT on the FZ6 and it jumped timing and he kissed the valves! :eek:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The 09 R1 had the oil pressure type tensioner and I think it was the 09 and 10 years were recalled for replacement.

Yes the FZ6 is spring tension. Those that are looking for the manual type, APE is the company that makes them.

Be careful! Had a guy here in SD who was doing his CCT on the FZ6 and it jumped timing and he kissed the valves! :eek:

yea, thats bad,,,

Some guys on the FJR forum would pull the cam chain cover and "plastic tie wrap" the chain taught JUST TO MAKE SURE... Maybe over kill but it beats a new engine from one mistake...

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Or you can just turn the motor by hand and check timing marks on the crankshaft and camshafts BEFORE actually starting it. With the plugs pulled it's quite easy and you will be 100% certain.

racing_fan

Not so Junior Member
Reaction score
picasaweb.google.com
Guys I think mine has the same noise, but can some one please post a few sketches/images/video of the cam chain tensioner replacement? It would be of great help... thanks!!

AlexL

Shiny Side Up
Reaction score
Visit site
If you google you can find the FZ6 manual which has a good diagram. I found the oem tensioner online for under $80, I think the link is earlier in this thread. I also found a video on YouTube of the replacement of an R1 tensioner and it is very similar to an FZ6 install. I'm going to do a little more research before I buy as I may end up getting the manual tensioner. I'm glad to see all these threads about the tensioner popping up, we should be able to come to some kind of a consensus so we can help all the future FZ6 owners out there :).

CBRF3RIDER

Reaction score
Visit site
Highly recommend the APE MCCT mentioned by another member here. I replaced the failed OEM unit on my CBR with one and have had no problems. Just make sure you follow the instructions for initial set up and adjustment because you can do some damage of it's too tight or too loose. If I remember you hand tighten until snug, then back off a quarter turn. Again, be sure to consult the instructions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Guys I think mine has the same noise, but can some one please post a few sketches/images/video of the cam chain tensioner replacement? It would be of great help... thanks!!

Here's a video of the 09 R1 hydraulic type CCT swap with the Manual APE CCT.

It will give you some idea of the process and as mentioned before on this post. You want to find TDC at the crank. Then be careful not to let the cam jump timing when you release the CCT to replace with a new one. There is a recommended procedure for doing this swap and I suggest it be followed or you could end up with a very expensive repair.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpc_Ow5gWis]2009 Yamaha R1 Cam Chain Tensioner - YouTube[/ame]

QuietEagle

Lovin' life
Reaction score
Visit site
Sometimes I hear something and I am wondering if it is related to the cam chain. While slowing down or coast, I sometimes pull in the clutch and I like to rev it a bit (just quick, < less than 4000) and will hear from the right side "clack,clack" as though a chain were loose and then regained its tension :spank:. If I change gears or engage the clutch a bit, it will usually go away. It is very infrequent and I don't hear any odd noise the rest of the time. Could this be the cam chain slapping against the guides? Has anyone heard of this before? Not a constant click or rattle, more of chunk,chunk with throttle rev.