Best way to support front end?

Norbert

crash tested
Reaction score
Visit site
What's the best way to support the front end while the forks are off?

I know people put cans of paint under the headers, but is it really a good idea to put all that weight on the headers?

Does anyone know a good triple tree stand that would work for the fz6?

What's the best way to support the front end while the forks are off?

I know people put cans of paint under the headers, but is it really a good idea to put all that weight on the headers?

Does anyone know a good triple tree stand that would work for the fz6?

Valtermoto do a pretty nice race stand.

We sometimes put a car jack under the block...or use an engine lift, and use a strap to put around the front of the frame...but we normally use a rear race stand as well, when doing this

:thumbup:

with the bike up on the center stand i used a small car jack with a piece of wood under the header to keep the front end up when i took the forks off on several occasions.

Valtermoto do a pretty nice race stand.

We sometimes put a car jack under the block...or use an engine lift, and use a strap to put around the front of the frame...but we normally use a rear race stand as well, when doing this

how do you fit the jack under the engine block without messing up the exhaust headers?

I'm not sure if I understand, but I know that placing several blocks of wood underneath the centerstand helps elevate the front end too (in addition to the paint can, etc., underneath the headers).I just got done having both wheels R/R and propped up both ends with 1) paint can + blocks, underneath headers 2) wood block spaces underneath deployed center stand. No need to place/balance massive weight on rear portion of the seat.

I use a cinder block under the headers, with a rag to prevent scratches. I was told by my mechanic friend that there's no harm as long as you don't sit on the bike or rock it a lot.

Don't know if this is the best but sure works for me and real close to earth quake proof.
Franksnewrubberinstall006.jpg

homebuiltstand002.jpg

Plenty of places to strap on the front of the bike and the kiddies or the dog can't knock it over.

ok i guess there's enough consensus that you can support the bike on the centerstand plus some type of platform on the headers

i feel better knowing it's been done before.
but it still doesnt make any sense since it seems like a lot of weight.
is there a spot on the headers where it is the strongest or should i try to spread the weight as much as possible?

The headers will be strongest at the bend. I personally prefer the hoist method, and use an engine hoist with a strap around the bars in the centre. This is obviously not practical for most though. The benefits of a hoist is that you can lower or raise it in small increments when you need to.

Don't know if this is the best but sure works for me and real close to earth quake proof.
Franksnewrubberinstall006.jpg

homebuiltstand002.jpg

Plenty of places to strap on the front of the bike and the kiddies or the dog can't knock it over.

nice setup
where could i find something like this?
i couldnt find anything on the harbor freight site (yes i am cheap)

nice setup
where could i find something like this?
i couldnt find anything on the harbor freight site (yes i am cheap)

You can make one. it is just gas pipes with connectors. All parts available at local Home Depot, Lowes.

awwww man ......easier said than done :(

When you are ready, we can go get the stuff and put them together. You still want me to help you with the fork mod, right? This could be our first job before we start. :)

When you are ready, we can go get the stuff and put them together. You still want me to help you with the fork mod, right? This could be our first job before we start. :)

haha yeah i definitely would like another pair of hands. especially from some one with more experience. i've been reading a lot on it and it's not so bad.

reinstalling the brake line takes the most time.
but i've done this before.

it would be a good time for you to get some new ss lines as well. more bling for your bike.

with the bike up on the center stand i used a small car jack with a piece of wood under the header to keep the front end up when i took the forks off on several occasions.

how do you fit the jack under the engine block without messing up the exhaust headers?

Soft piece of word, and rear stand being used in conjubction, the weight is shared....never had an issue, and have done this heaps of times.

i put jackstands and wood under my frame sliders, because i was too lazy to take off the lower cowl. I was only taking the front wheel off to stripe it though, i wouldn't have left it like that for any period of time.

awwww man ......easier said than done :(

So easy. Use 3/4 pipe, 3'across the top, 2-5' for the sides ,4-18" for the legs, 2elbows,2T's and four caps for the ends of the feet.
Hand tighten is good but leave the T just a bit loose so you can rotate the legs for storage. Bam it's done. :thumbup:

There's actually a plate underneath the headers, not quite sure why engineers put it there. Was it to aid jacking and/or header solidity? It almost seems as if it's there espressly so one can jack bike up.

Back