Best Bike Security?

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not so sure my little lady is the best deterrent :D :D

In my yard, behind the fence, no one really seems to mess with the bike. Around the corner in the street... yeah. Funny enough, I'm talking to my insurance agent this afternoon, so I'll be checking how I'm covered for theft. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
It's not the dog in the fight it's the fight in the dog Ruff Ruff.

neil

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Does your bike have the Yamaha immobilizer or another make?
I haven't looked at the wiring (probably because I wouldn't have a clue). When I was inquiring about getting a new ignition barrel for a friend who had lost all of his keys. I was informed by Yamaha that it would require the whole lot, Ignition, wiring loom and ECU at a cost of £1000.
Apparently the immobilizer was part of the ECU? It could be that I was just told a load of BS by someone who didn't really know what they were on about.

Neil

Well, if it was a yamaha one it might be different. The aftermarket ones that you can buy are silly. If your bike doesn't come with one stock, and the manufacturer doesn't make one for your bike, it's kinda pointless. All aftermarket guys can do is interrupt the spark signals or the starter signal if the immobilizer goes off. Cutting the immobilizer off and soldering the wires back together effectively removes the immobilizer. Yamaha would (hopefully) integrate it into the ECU somehow. AFAIK, Yamaha didn't offer that in the states.

But I was specifically talking about my GSXR with a scorpion alarm system.

Gelvatron

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
XENA Motorcycle Security: disc-lock alarms for motorcycles, scooters and ATVS

i have one its LOUD and basic lock your handle bars put a chain in the frame and both wheels just depends where you are for locations other than home i use the xena for home i run a chain ,:spank:

if they want its gonna get stolen, my back up is full coverage as i need a new mode of transportation if its stolen don't cheap out on the liability insurance its worth the extra $$ when you need it

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Not cheap but has great features including a cutout line to keep the the motor from being started and a paging system. So that you can notify law enforcement.

Scorpio Alarms SR-I900 RFID/Two-Way FM Security System | MotoSport Canada

Chain your bike to something, get a disk lock and get a cover for it. In addition to the alarm/immobilzer. Insurance companies recommend a cover as a deterrent. The more stages to overcome the less attractive the bike becomes. Insurance companies also say to be aware of your surroundings when you're coming home. If you've got a nice bike you can pick up a tail that follows to see where you park. If you suspect this pass your home and and reroute.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, if it was a yamaha one it might be different. The aftermarket ones that you can buy are silly. If your bike doesn't come with one stock, and the manufacturer doesn't make one for your bike, it's kinda pointless. All aftermarket guys can do is interrupt the spark signals or the starter signal if the immobilizer goes off. Cutting the immobilizer off and soldering the wires back together effectively removes the immobilizer. Yamaha would (hopefully) integrate it into the ECU somehow. AFAIK, Yamaha didn't offer that in the states.

But I was specifically talking about my GSXR with a scorpion alarm system.
Cheers for that, I get what your saying, its just about completing the circuit. Some aftermarket systems try to confuse the would be thief by having the wires just coloured black. My datatool system is like that, I would love to pull the bugger out because I have had nothing but trouble with it.
The Yamaha one is built into the ECU so I guess it makes it a bit more of a deterrent as the cost of replacing one is about a third the cost of a decent second hand bike. I really don't know why the USA bikes don't have the option? Perhaps the insurance lobby is a bit more vocal in Europe?
Back to the security issue, I have used a decent disk lock before hung through the rear sprocket
Neil

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a bit more info for you...All the European countries, United Kingdom , Australian & New Zealand, and Canadian models come with factory immobilizers. :thumbup:

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
Alright, point taken, I know nothing about US prices, $600 for used is ridiculous still, I can buy a 2004 breaker (full bike) for about $800 in UK, so...

The ECU, ignition barrel and seat lock are always sold as as set. The immobiliser system needs the ECU and barrel to function. And $1000 is the minimum new price. Wreckers know this and charge a fat premium. If you can find the set for less than $600 used...you've got a bargain! In Aus the dealership price ranges from $1200 to $1500!

Last edited:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
Cheers for that, I get what your saying, its just about completing the circuit. Some aftermarket systems try to confuse the would be thief by having the wires just coloured black. My datatool system is like that, I would love to pull the bugger out because I have had nothing but trouble with it.
The Yamaha one is built into the ECU so I guess it makes it a bit more of a deterrent as the cost of replacing one is about a third the cost of a decent second hand bike. I really don't know why the USA bikes don't have the option? Perhaps the insurance lobby is a bit more vocal in Europe?
Back to the security issue, I have used a decent disk lock before hung through the rear sprocket
Neil

The only bikes I know for sure that come with an immobilizer in the US are the BMW bikes, HD bikes from 2011+, the Kawasaki ZX-14 2010+ and Ducati bikes from 2008+. The one on the Monster is a PITA because if you lose your keys you have to replace all three locks, the dash, and the ignition, since Ducati doesn't keep a code/vin list. $1800 for just parts last I checked. A lot of guys will just pull the RFID chip out of one of the keys and superglue/jb weld it under the tank somewhere just for that reason.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The only bikes I know for sure that come with an immobilizer in the US are the BMW bikes, HD bikes from 2011+, the Kawasaki ZX-14 2010+ and Ducati bikes from 2008+. The one on the Monster is a PITA because if you lose your keys you have to replace all three locks, the dash, and the ignition, since Ducati doesn't keep a code/vin list. $1800 for just parts last I checked. A lot of guys will just pull the RFID chip out of one of the keys and superglue/jb weld it under the tank somewhere just for that reason.
I remember reading a thread about guys using non chipped keys but had the chip on a fob around their necks.

Neil

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I agree Martin, I don't even use the steering lock as I am worried the opportunistic bike sitter may knock the bike over. I often see people sat on it when I park it at work.

Neil
How is not locking the steering going to decrease the probability of a bike sitter knocking it over?

And what the heck? People sitting on your bike at work???

pookamatic

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a garage at home and a respectful lot of mature people at work. Anything else after that is covered by comprehensive insurance (an extra $25/year).

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How is not locking the steering going to decrease the probability of a bike sitter knocking it over?

Probably because the bike is easier to balance if it leans left or right with the bars straight.More leverage than when they're locked to the left.

Yeah! People sitting on your bike?:rolleyes:

cmantis

Reaction score
Visit site

Hal Incandenza

Reaction score
Visit site
The best theft deterrent i've ever seen was a bike that was painted entirely in pink, i mean the whole thing... nobody was gonna touch that thing.

But then, I suppose that solution has its own set of issues :D

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: Best Bike Security?

The best theft deterrent i've ever seen was a bike that was painted entirely in pink, i mean the whole thing... nobody was gonna touch that thing.

But then, I suppose that solution has its own set of issues :D

I think I'll stick with black and blue (like the shiner in my passport photo), good insurance, and a disc lock. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

fzsixx

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a 12 gauge and a .40 XDM for anybody stupid enough to mess with my baby. At night I keep it in the garage but during the day I just lock the bars and I have one of a xena 120db alarm that goes into the brake disc. Its loud enough to deter anyone from even looking at her wrong.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I reckon that when you sit on the bike you automatically try to centre the bars and move it from the side stand into a upright position. When the bars hit the stop the weight transfer can cause you to over balance resulting in one dropped bike, especially if the person sitting on it isn't used to it. It's Obviously not such an issue when parked on the centre stand.
I don't have issues with my collegues sitting on the bike, I would have issues if they dropped it.

Neil:thumbup:

Last edited: