Best Bike Security?

mikeshungry

Reaction score
Visit site
Other than a garage or storage, what do you guys think is the best anti-theft device for an 05 fz6. I'm looking for the most bang for the buck. I am moving so I will no longer be able to use my friends garage and my bike will have to sit in an apartment complex parking lot. I've looked at disc locks, chains, alarms, and wheel boots. What's the best out there? I'd appreciate some good feedback.

tupac

Reaction score
Visit site
you should have full coverage but i also own a "ALMAX 19mm security chain" with a squire lock
google it and look it up on youtube cost me $330 shipped for 6feet length of it with a lock shipped from the united kindom to california. it weighs about 25lbs!
i call it my "mexico chain" because i take it with me and it give me complete confidence when i leave my bike secured when i go see a movie at a theatre in tijuana.

it too heavy to carry with you but it perfect to leave somewhere like an apartment complex.

you gotta pay to play but this was the route i went...

almax security chain 19mm - Google Search

Neal

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
Put a huge dent in your tank and scrap up the side of your bike.

I was on a trip up from San Diego to Seattle. One night I woke up to hear guy 4 guys talking by my window. "I can get my homie down here in 5 minutes with his truck we can load load it up and be gone." "Why would you even want that it is all busted up on the side?"

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
you should have full coverage but i also own a "ALMAX 19mm security chain" with a squire lock
google it and look it up on youtube cost me $330 shipped for 6feet length of it with a lock shipped from the united kindom to california. it weighs about 25lbs!
i call it my "mexico chain" because i take it with me and it give me complete confidence when i leave my bike secured when i go see a movie at a theatre in tijuana.

it too heavy to carry with you but it perfect to leave somewhere like an apartment complex.

you gotta pay to play but this was the route i went...

almax security chain 19mm - Google Search

Another vote for Almax plus a properly installed ground anchor or something similar to chain it too.
In the UK majority of bike theft is either scooter kids breaking the steering lock and using a scooter to push it away or the whole bike being lifted straight into a van.
So being able to bolt it to something secure is a must.

Additionally a anti-pinch pin is a good idea too as wheels can be removed.
Anti-Pinch Pin - Big Chains and Tight Spaces

And if you want a good chance of finding your bike again get a tracker fitted.

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a similar chain, maybe the same, basically finger thick chain links and gloved in a cloth, I'm using abus lock with it but I feel that the lock is the weakest link, regardless of it's type and it's too heavy to carry around and doesn't fit under the bike.

As far as security goes, I plan to buy and install GPS/GSM tracker from DealExtreme + thinking of Patrolline HPS 447N for an alarm as I could probably get it for a real good price. Other than that don't park in shady areas, park in front of your windows, always use the lock steering feature (built in) and hope for the best.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The European bikes have an excellent immobilizer fitted. I can't understand why the rest of the world don't get it?
Ground anchor and heavy duty chain is a great deterrent. Even with a chain the bike can be lifted into a van. so securing it to something solid is a must. Don't run a chain through a wheel as its easy to remove a wheel. The FZ6 does lack a decent frame mounting point.
Security buys you time not necessarily piece of mind and will only deter the opportunistic thief. Smart water or data tag is also a good idea.
I have data tag fitted to my bike and a datatool V4 alarm.
To be honest I will not fit another alarm. The constant draw on the battery is a real PITA. I parked the bike for a week at the airport and returned to find a dead battery. In lower draw mode the alarm just acts as an immobilizer and the bike already has one.

Neil

Last edited:

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm thinking of relaying GPS/alarm through an additional switch that I could turn off when parked securely for longer time specifically for this reason.

To be honest I will not fit another alarm. The constant draw on the battery is a real PITA. I parked the bike for a week at the airport and returned to find a dead battery. In lower draw mode the alarm just acts as an immobilizer and the bike already has one.
Neil

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The European bikes have an excellent immobilizer fitted. I can't understand why the rest of the world don't get it?
Neil

I totally agree Neil. With this immobilizer my bike is insured against theft, no other lock is required. My previous bike required 2 seperate approved locks fitted to be insured (by the same company).

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
My bikes all have immobilizers, they're kept in a locked garage at the back of my property, behind locked gates, behind two cars. But my very best security is these two....

Wogxl5k.jpg

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I totally agree Neil. With this immobilizer my bike is insured against theft, no other lock is required. My previous bike required 2 seperate approved locks fitted to be insured (by the same company).
I agree Martin, I don't even use the steering lock as I am worried the opportunistic bike sitter may knock the bike over. I often see people sat on it when I park it at work.

Neil

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
My bikes all have immobilizers, they're kept in a locked garage at the back of my property, behind locked gates, behind two cars. But my very best security is these two....

Wogxl5k.jpg
Yeah I have to dogs who don't let people get within 100 meters of the place before they go bonkers.
The best they deterrent yet.

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree Martin, I don't even use the steering lock as I am worried the opportunistic bike sitter may knock the bike over. I often see people sat on it when I park it at work.

Neil

Yeah... My frame sliders seem to accrue mysterious scratches as do my bar ends. It's so weird. :rolleyes:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah... My frame sliders seem to accrue mysterious scratches as do my bar ends. It's so weird. :rolleyes:
How does that happen? Fortunately my bike is recorded by the security cameras. If there was significant damage I would find the culprit and present them with a bill.

neil

n0other

biker wannabe
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an immobilizer, not considering it as any sort of security actually, it doesn't stop them at all to physically lift it in the bus nor alerts me of theft in any way, nor allows me to track it.

After the bike is stolen, at most they would have to change ECU + steering and seat locks, that's dirt cheap from a salvaged breaker/burner and still worth the trouble for them if your bike is tricked out or new. But what do I know, maybe they don't even need that and can make the key based on the lock and reprogram ECU.

Neil

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
I have an immobilizer, not considering it as any sort of security actually, it doesn't stop them at all to physically lift it in the bus nor alerts me of theft in any way, nor allows me to track it.

After the bike is stolen, at most they would have to change ECU + steering and seat locks, that's dirt cheap from a salvaged breaker/burner and still worth the trouble for them if your bike is tricked out or new. But what do I know, maybe they don't even need that and can make the key based on the lock and reprogram ECU.

Nah, you just remove the immobilizer as it's just a switch between the ECU and the starter circuit. And if you want to find a the key code, it's stamped on the tumblers in the lock, and your lock on the tank is simple to remove without causing visible damage.

But usually they don't sell the bike whole. They accrue less risk if they ditch the frame, and usually make more money parting it out. Some local sucker picks up a "salvage" frame for cheap and has some 'splaining to do when they try and re-title the bike. And the seller is nowhere to be found, of course.

EDIT: I know this because the previous owner of my bike had broken the alarm remote on his bike and so you had to be real careful starting the bike or the immobilizer would kick in and you'd have to screw with the key. Also the key was mangled so badly it barely worked, and wouldn't fit in the machine to have a copy made. I just removed the immobilizer, soldered the split wires together, and pulled the lock off the gas cap to get the code. The second locksmith I asked made me a key from the code only (wanted to see how easy that was. :eek: )

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nah, you just remove the immobilizer as it's just a switch between the ECU and the starter circuit. And if you want to find a the key code, it's stamped on the tumblers in the lock, and your lock on the tank is simple to remove without causing visible damage.

But usually they don't sell the bike whole. They accrue less risk if they ditch the frame, and usually make more money parting it out. Some local sucker picks up a "salvage" frame for cheap and has some 'splaining to do when they try and re-title the bike. And the seller is nowhere to be found, of course.

EDIT: I know this because the previous owner of my bike had broken the alarm remote on his bike and so you had to be real careful starting the bike or the immobilizer would kick in and you'd have to screw with the key. Also the key was mangled so badly it barely worked, and wouldn't fit in the machine to have a copy made. I just removed the immobilizer, soldered the split wires together, and pulled the lock off the gas cap to get the code. The second locksmith I asked made me a key from the code only (wanted to see how easy that was. :eek: )
Does your bike have the Yamaha immobilizer or another make?
I haven't looked at the wiring (probably because I wouldn't have a clue). When I was inquiring about getting a new ignition barrel for a friend who had lost all of his keys. I was informed by Yamaha that it would require the whole lot, Ignition, wiring loom and ECU at a cost of £1000.
Apparently the immobilizer was part of the ECU? It could be that I was just told a load of BS by someone who didn't really know what they were on about.

Neil

rumblestrip

Coffee Drinker
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Re: Best Bike Security?

Yeah I have to dogs who don't let people get within 100 meters of the place before they go bonkers.
The best they deterrent yet.

Yeah, I'm not so sure my little lady is the best deterrent :D :D

In my yard, behind the fence, no one really seems to mess with the bike. Around the corner in the street... yeah. Funny enough, I'm talking to my insurance agent this afternoon, so I'll be checking how I'm covered for theft. ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
The ECU, ignition barrel and seat lock are always sold as as set. The immobiliser system needs the ECU and barrel to function. And $1000 is the minimum new price. Wreckers know this and charge a fat premium. If you can find the set for less than $600 used...you've got a bargain! In Aus the dealership price ranges from $1200 to $1500!