Backpacks : What do you like?

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking to get a decent riding backpack for when I start commuting to work. I just need it to hold my jeans and other random stuff, and then I need it to hold my riding pants once I'm at work. They don't need to fit completely, just "good enough". I'm considering this one : MotoCentric Mototrek Backpack - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

I checked out a few at a local place, a First Gear pack, and an Ogio. The Ogio was HUGE, and didn't really hold much, but was comfy. Not sure I cared for the miles of extra strapping though. The First Gear was oddly shaped, and pretty big to, and had too much "stuff" for my liking. Like all the little pockets on the straps. Anyone have the one I linked to? How do you like it? Any other recommendations?

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got an Ogio No Drag back pack - it can hold a lot of you pack it up properly. Lots of hidden compartments.

BTW, when you wear it, even when it's full, you hardly feel it on your back - excellent!

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I use the same backpack I use for work and class. Tuck the straps in so they don't fly around and I don't even notice it. I don't think a "low drag" pack will really be worth the money and sacrifice in space given the riding position on your FZ.

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the same backpack I use for work and class. Tuck the straps in so they don't fly around and I don't even notice it. I don't think a "low drag" pack will really be worth the money and sacrifice in space given the riding position on your FZ.

I'm not too worried about low drag, it's more about the extra straps and rigidity of the pack that makes me want a riding pack. I used to use a messenger bag, but it flops around too much on these twisty roads. Not sure it would stay put on the freeway either! I just can't stand the side to side movement of a normal pack, or a messenger bag. Or, just as bad, when the contents start shifting side to side. Drove me nuts on my mountain bike, and still does on the motorcycles. lol

Yeah, the Ogio was dang comfy. Didn't at all feel like I had a pack that size on my back. I'm just not sure I could cram my riding pants in it. Then again, if I could jam them in my messenger bag, then that pack should be no problem.

Last edited:

Signal 50

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not too worried about low drag, it's more about the extra straps and rigidity of the pack that makes me want a riding pack. I used to use a messenger bag, but it flops around too much on these twisty roads. Not sure it would stay put on the freeway either! I just can't stand the side to side movement of a normal pack, or a messenger bag. Or, just as bad, when the contents start shifting side to side. Drove me nuts on my mountain bike, and still does on the motorcycles. lol

Yeah, the Ogio was dang comfy. Didn't at all feel like I had a pack that size on my back. I'm just not sure I could cram my riding pants in it. Then again, if I could jam them in my messenger bag, then that pack should be no problem.

I have never used a messenger bag. But the pack I use is for hiking. Its got a small steel frame to give it rigidity and the straps are infinitely adjustable. I find that I adjust my straps based on how full my bag is. If its empty I cinch it up close and if its full I let some slack out. Most importantly though I know its there. It's not uncomfortable but I don't forget I have it on. The downside is that it is too large to take on a trip. I wouldn't want to spend more than an hour or two with it on. I only use it for packing for work or running errands on the bike.

I'd look at what your local hiking or sporting goods store has to offer before a m/c specific pack.

Last edited:

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh yeah, forgot all about hiking packs. Good idea, I'll take a look around. There's even a hiking/outdoor shop directly on my way home from work. Yea! For once I don't have to drive 40 miles out of my way to look at something. lol

motojoe122

No ride is too far...
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I really like that ICON backpack! I bought the MIL-SPEC mesh vest (hi-vis yellow) to get on base, but I think my next buy will be the backpack.
Joe:thumbup:

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
I did the backpack thing to carry my work laptop and the usual stuff I needed to do my day. I really did not like it at all since I felt really top heavy while wearing it.

So I went with a cortech sport tail bag instead.. very happy with it. It is large enough to carry my laptop and a few extra things. Highly recommended. :thumbup:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Cortech-Sport-Tail-Bag/dp/B002ZKGUOI]Amazon.com: Cortech Sport Tail Bag: Automotive[/ame]

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use ths back pack....I got it at Acadamy Sports $50.00 U.S. and the shoulder straps have a strap that conects them across your chest so there is no movement....I have carried a case of 24, 12 ounce Beer cans in it with no problem!!! :rockon: :rockon:

Neworleans

Reaction score
Visit site
MotoCentric Centrek Backpack - Street Bike - Motorcycle Superstore

MotoCentric Centrek Backpack :: MotoCentric

I have this one, has so many features and fits a good bit. I can carry rain pants/rain coat pair of jeans, a shirt and a sweater, winter gloves, including a extra visor if I need to. Mind you the space is limited but it works if your good at making things fit. Has a mp3/cell phone pocket and a soft lined sunglasses pocket. Also has a helmet hoodie which is hidden underneath and inside the backpack to easily strap your helmet to your backpack once at work. Life time warranty is a plus. I'd spend the extra 20$ Even after four months it still has kept its form. I feel naked if I ride without it =)

dblaze

Reaction score
Visit site
I steer clear of backpacks because in the event of an accident the last thing you need is the backpack & its contents digging into your back it can also snag on things when you tumble. I use a tail pack or my newly acquired top box.

BamBam77

Old but still riding
Reaction score
Visit site
PKOOSA
Your Icon looks like your going to jump out of a plane. COOL:thumbup:
Then I read the discription for the Icon Squid2 Backpack
[highly-specialized riding specific pack system with the appearance of a high-attitude jump rig]:rolleyes:
Now I under stand:D

novaks47

Yeah!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for posting your preferences. So many choices! Then I saw the Alpinestars Charger backpack, and I really like the quick connector on the left strap, so it's easier to take on and off over a motorcycle jacket. But it's drawback is it's a little on the small side, especially for the cash. It's around 17L, when the Ogio, for example, costs the same, and holds 30L. Not sure if I need 30L though. Decisions decisions! lol That Motocentric that NewOrleans posted is tempting too. And those Kreigas look really good too. Ugh, this is going to take me forever to decide. Wish I could ride with each one for week, then decide.

MHS

Reaction score
Visit site
I just use a generic, random off-brand backpack I picked up at a Walmart for $20.

I've used it for daily commuting (before it got cold) on the 25 mile round-trip drive to work, and have taken it on numerous 180 mile rides, and one 600 mile ride, haven't had any issues.

It's big enough for me to pack a weekend of clothes and my 17" laptop. No straps flapping around anywhere in the wind

malicious439

The Technician
Reaction score
Visit site
I have this bag and I have to say I really like it, it is smaller than normal backpacks so it wont fit as much but its a great smaller bag to use for everyday stuff. I use it for day trips or going to work.