AURMEND'S LED front turn signal mod

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright this is a simple thread so you can have FRONT led turn signals and running lights. First you get a compatable MOSFET transister. This is what i got .IRFU9024 Transistor MOSFET Canal P
Then you hook it up like this.
gqidFvA.png

PLEASE TAKE NOTE WHICH IS THE GATE DRAIN AND SOURCE WHEN CONNECTING THE WIRES. Its shown below.
$T2eC16hHJFoE9nh6qSZ1BRUO-GzRNQ~~60_3.JPG

AND THATS IT! Now you have running lights and turn signals on your 2 Wire leds. No need to spend the $25 for the pre-made ones. Cost for me is $4 but you can find it cheaper. Note: you don't need to use that exact one. You can research and find other ones with different specs.
Feel free to ask questions or comments

This is the mosfet installed and yes that's the OEM turn signal connector.
It's small! No big relays.
P7B2wOF.jpg

sorry for big picture

AND another edit. If you want POD lights and no turn signal, connect it before the Transistor. If you want it to act like a turn signal also, connect it after the Transistor. Simple.

Last edited:

Ohendo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice job! $4 solution vs $25 wins every time.

EDIT: First, can't see your installation pics (might be a problem on my end).
Second, true cost would be double, as you need two of these MOSFETS, one for each blinker. The Blinker Genie gives you two for your $25.
(Still a good deal of course, and you get the satisfaction of having done it yourself.) Again, awesome job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
Some guys might need to remove those big relays haha.
oh and yes this can work at DRL for you car also. Just make sure you have the correct Transistor.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Some guys might need to remove those big relays haha.
oh and yes this can work at DRL for you car also. Just make sure you have the correct Transistor.

What big relays? The Magics are small and they may actually be MOSFETs

Remember to over rate with a device that will carry much more load than required.

I really like this idea for this application! :)

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
But I think I'm going to start selling these for motorcycles on eBay. You guys get the inside scoop and can make your own for cheaper. ;)

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
AZjV0ws.jpg

I have these set on turn signals only. These are not noticeable until they light up. And I'll say they are bright!

wrLLTJh.jpg

These are the running lights and turn signals. They are much brighter than they seem right now. The side led(known as the "eagle eye" on eBay) is for others can see you on the side. Unfortunately for turn signals, when one of them is flashing, the other one is off. And vise versa. I will be building a circuit so they can flash simultaneously.

Side view of the running lights
wjSPuCp.jpg

Note: in new Jersey it is legal to have white turn signals up front. So if you want to do this in another state, look up your laws.

Last edited:

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
I am building them. No soldering required. You will be able to use them for multiple purposes. I will give more information when I build and test them.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
AZjV0ws.jpg

I have these set on turn signals only. These are not noticeable until they light up. And I'll say they are bright!

wrLLTJh.jpg

These are the running lights and turn signals. They are much brighter than they seem right now. The side led(known as the "eagle eye" on eBay) is for others can see you on the side. Unfortunately for turn signals, when one of them is flashing, the other one is off. And vise versa. I will be building a circuit so they can flash simultaneously.

Side view of the running lights
wjSPuCp.jpg

Note: in new Jersey it is legal to have white turn signals up front. So if you want to do this in another state, look up your laws.
Seriously fine work.

Nelly

Last edited:

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright Nelly i have resized them. Can you delete your quote due to it having the old image links?

Also side note! I have installed Pod lights for cheap.
Use these T10 SOCKETS
Use a 1/2" Drill bit for the socket hole. (i gradually went to that size)
Important! super glue the LED base into the socket before hand to prevent the led from falling in. I will post a pic soon!

Sith Lord

Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, come on Nelly. Amend your post!:spank:

So, to clarify - these DRL's light up when iginition is on. When turn signal is switched on, they flash. Is that right?

Which DRL's are you using AURMEND? Is it possible to post a link? There are so many on ebay. It's hard to know which ones to buy.

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
Last edited:

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
Alright guys here is my updated design.
qTPs8sF.jpg

Edit: it is much smaller and it's rated to a maximum of 5amps.

Last edited:

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm trying to do the same thing and I'm learning a bit about electronics as I go, do you have a schematic diagram of the circuit you built so the turn signal only and turn signal/running lights flashed simultaneously?

I understand how the MOSFET works and I get why they wouldn't flash at the same time, I just don't know how this could be overcome.

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
I have looked into it and have stopped. But basically you want it to flash in sync with the rear lights? My way can't do that right now.
I'll try to figure it out again.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
I have looked into it and have stopped. But basically you want it to flash in sync with the rear lights? My way can't do that right now.
I'll try to figure it out again.

I was hoping to run a small LED in the stock signal holder as turn signal only and strip lighting up front as running lights and turn signals.

If I understand right?... If I connect the one I want to flash only up before the MOSFET like I would a normal LED lamp with no running lights it will flash opposite the running light/turn signal when I activate the signal since the gate will open and close in time with the signal. This will make the running light turn off and on in time with the signal effectively giving it the exact same flash timing just opposite since the power wire for flashing makes the running light turn off intermittently.

If I could solve this issue it would be easy enough to hook my rears up all on the same circuit.

I just want everything to flash at the exact same time.

AURMEND

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes you are correct. I'll look into it. I recommend using icircuit or everycircuit in Google play for Android to build virtual circuits and test them out. So far I was able to achieve that using logic gates but there must be a simpler way.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
After looking this over I decided that I want to do this as part of my pre-season maintenance. I currently have LED Pod lights as running lights that wink off when my LED turn signals turn on. I did the wiring with a SPDT relay on each side and it works well, but sitting at a traffic light listening to the clacking coming from under the fairing is annoying.

I have never designed anything usin semiconductors before, so I a betting that mt questions are 'beginner level'.

I have attached a diag of my current and my proposed. Grounds have been left off for clarity.

I understand I need a P-Channel MOSFET, so that the positive voltage on the Gate will interrupt current flow from Source to Drain.

Is there anything else I need? I see in a photo above that there is a resistor used, looks like on the Gate. I am guessing that the current needs to be reduced.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks