Anyone ever regret or have doubt in their FZ6 purchase?

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
God do I want to try a Ninja 300, my old 250 had 15K miles and shifted so damn sweetly. I imagine the 300 is an even more powerful and smooth machine compared to that with all the flickability

I feel the same way I'm bike shopping right now, I'm pretty set on a 2008 R6. Yet, I kind of miss my 2008 250R, makes me want to buy one of those new R3s instead of an R6.

JayyVee

IT Overlord
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all!

Picked up my 2007 FZ6 a few weeks ago now. It's my first bike, and it took me 10 years after getting my license to finally get a bike. Life got in the way and it just took a while for me to pull the trigger.

I also get up to speed fine, and ride just fine without ever even hitting 8k rpms. I don't know if it's just my inexperience, or the fact I'm still getting used to the bike...but I don't see how I'd really need to rev it out to enjoy the ride or anything. I don't know if i'm going to want to need to use this motor to its full potential.

Hey back - welcome to the fold! :)

I hear you on life - it delayed me getting on my first bike as well for many years. FZ6 was the one for me after 'sitting' on quite a few and test riding a few friends comparable bikes (VFR800, SV650, FZ1).

First few months, I felt the same way - am I really going to take it past 8k?!? It's quite a different bike once those RPM's begin to roll. Around town - 6k is quite fine and more than enough power. I think most folks on their first bike, would attest to the same thoughts as well (Am I really going to use all it has to offer?). Heck I've said that about cars I've owned too - roads with speed limits of 70 tops, why does the speedo say 210?!?) How long that feeling lingers, may depend on how frequently you get out to ride, I feel.

Give it some time, and some warmer weather as others have said - and some extended rides. I think after you get more comfortable on it, you'll want to see exactly 'what' it can do. A rush in 2nd up to 70ish is quite a thrill on the onramps.. However there's a lot to be said for cornering at higher RPM's (not always higher speeds mind you) and the control/fluidity it gives in said cornering.

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
I feel the same way I'm bike shopping right now, I'm pretty set on a 2008 R6. Yet, I kind of miss my 2008 250R, makes me want to buy one of those new R3s instead of an R6.

Well if we ever run into each other to ride, i'm sure you'll get a chance to check out my brother's 300. It's a 2014 ABS, all black. :)

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Do it! I assume this is for a track bike? In which case I bet the 300 would be a monster on a twisty track, you'd put many bigger bikes to shame! I love the one video where a little 250 tears up the one track.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
When the weather stays warm, we need a Chicagoland meet up!
Plus frickin' one! This summer for sure. I'll have my bike finished for certain by then and we'll get some cruising in. I'm not familiar with the good roads around the city, just in my area, and I'll tell you right now there aren't many. :(

Reaction score
Visit site
in fact a recent member here wrecked his FZ6R (XJ6 where he lives) and was given a loaner FZ6. he was immediately bitten by the FZ6 bug, abandoned his wrecked bike, and owns the FZ6 loaner! he finds it a considerable upgrade from the FZ6R, a bike he has rode thousands and thousands of miles. according to him the difference was significant, and noticed immediately

That was me, and yes this recap is almost spot on, I wasn't taken with it straight away because it required more finesse than the XJ-6 but after a week when I learned how to work with it I realised I didn't want my other one back! It's a great machine, much better gearbox for starters (even after six months I still kept knocking the XJ-6 out of gear, almost never happens with the FZ6), stiffer suspension is useful on corners, lighter weight makes low speed control that much more confidence inspiring... yeah overall it's just a much nicer package. You can cruise it around upright or grab some tank and high RPMs to have some fun, feels more stable and less hulking than the XJ-6 ever did, much as I liked that one.

As with most of the bigger Yamahas I've ridden, throttle response when rolling on from closed can be snatchy. Very easy to fix - be gentle for the first few percent as you open it and have the clutch squeezed in ever so slightly. This was the biggest change I had to make when coming from the XJ-6, it was like there was a "hump" in first gear when pulling away from a standing start where there was no torque and the Fazer felt jumpy/stuttery. Having the clutch in a tiny bit and leading with higher revs - less lazy, more racing style I guess - made pulling away from a stop that much smoother. That's what I mean about finesse; as she's more of a sports bike she needs more focused input from the rider, you gotta be careful with that change from 1st to 2nd as well, as with many Yamahas it's a bit clunky, you have to almost do a two step gear change with the clutch in to go 1st - through neutral - 2nd, requires a positive motion that isn't too gentle or too sudden either. Again, just a little more finesse.

The FZ6 isn't what I'd choose as a first big bike either, but then I bought a Thunderace which is an absolute beast and trust me, the Fazer is a lot more user friendly than that ever was! Just do some practice at both low and high speeds, don't push yourself too hard, and yeah make sure you've got good rubber. I took lots of recommendations from other riders here, on another forum, those I know in real life, those I meet in passing etc and they were spot on about Michelin Pilot Road 3s - as soon as these were on the bike and broken in the last remaining edge my old XJ-6 had was gone, I can do slow control on full steering lock now and never feel like I'm going to drop the bike, it's great for u-turns and weaves.

Yeah. Can't say enough good things about my FZ6 Fazer S2. It's a near-perfect 600cc sports tourer, I love it to bits.

IMAG0061_zpsvqudh4jd.jpg

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
I got to spend some more time on the bike this weekend. It was definitely a good experience. According to USPS tracking, I should have my bar risers today. I plan on doing the risers after work, so I'm anxious to see what that feels like

Even before I do those mods though, I have become more comfortable on the bike already. I noticed part of my problem was too much play in the throttle. I would have to twist it a decent amount to get it to finally engage. Once I adjusted and took up the slack, it's much easier to operate. My from-a-stop acceleration and cornering were instantly more confident, which is good. I finally got a chance to jump on the highway and stretch my bike's legs a tad. Felt good to get it up to speed and actually GO somewhere. The total ride was probably only about 40 miles, but it was still a blast and I feel more confident on it. I still have an endless amount of things to learn, but it was nice to be able to enjoy the ride and relax a bit more.

I did notice an issue with the crazy blast of air at highway speeds with the oem screen. I'm thinking of cutting it down and trimming the edge. Should make the wind feel more like a naked without pummeling my head and chest.

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't like the wind blast produced by the windscreen either. I have gone as far as removing the windscreen and even at 100mph, it was not bad. The wind is stronger, but it is constant, no buffeting.

I have since reinstalled the screen as the bike does not look right without it. I am just going to get a new set of custom molded earplugs made to deaden the buffetting noise.

This space intentionally left blank.

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't plan on going super fast to begin with... but if it was just wind it would be fine. The stock screen creates a lot of turbulence and concentrates the blast of air on my upper body. Making the air more even and consistent is what I want to do. I might also pick up a puig touring screen if I plan on doing any major highway trips.

I caved and ordered more crap this morning. It's insane the amount of little stuff there is to buy for these damn bikes! lol. Bar risers and cell-phone RAM handlebar mount will be installed today, grips will be installed soon. I ordered some polish for the exhaust header, some screen trim for when I cut my screen, a fenda extenda to help keep the pipes looking nice and protected.....and I just ordered a set of shorty ADJUSTABLE levers. I hate how far away the stock clutch lever is. Hurts my hand after a while. It'll be huge comfort-wise to adjust the lever reach. And, it feels more natural to me to be able to use 2-3 fingers without having a long lever. Can't 2-finger the stock lever because it crushes my knuckles.

I can't wait to get all these little expenses and mods out of the way. It should look and feel a ton better overall once I finish with all these little projects. :)

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Idk.... personally I'd maybe go to a larger windscreen if your concerned. I don't think going smaller is the right option.

I have some no-name aftermarket and I have ZERO issues with wind all the way up to far above cruising speeds.

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
Like I said it's not the wind itself that bothers me. It's the weird buffeting/pressure issue. If it was just clean 60mph wind hitting me that's fine. The stock screen makes it swirl around or something and it's loud and uncomfortable. Much different than what you feel on a naked.

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
You may like the naked conversion if the wind is a real problem. I wanted a smoother airflow when riding so I'm doing the naked conversion. I also like the looks too, so it's a win win.

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
Thought about it for sure, but I really want to keep the dual headlight look, at least for now. Plus, I just bought and installed a BD43 headlight mod, so it would just be a waste if I threw down for a naked kit right away. I'll just cut the stock screen for now (free) and then see what happens later on.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Getting the screen up to the mirror height (S2) makes a huge difference. It places my head inside the bubble and all is well above >70mph. Note: 5'10" 32" inseam.
IMG_20150120_153837_379_zps9b2ab91d.jpg

You mentioned hand pain; more often than not its not reach, its the angle of your wrist to lever interaction. Get on the bike and you may find a need to Rotate the levers down so the imaginary line from you rotator cuff through your forearm and wrist is a straight line. Extend your fingers straight out. If you have to REACH UP to use the lever its gonna hurt. Rotate the lever so you fingers, top of hand, and forearm form a straight line.
Hint - the long torso people benefit the most from this.
Look at post 8 here.... hand strength, hand cramps/pain, endurance

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
You may like the naked conversion if the wind is a real problem. I wanted a smoother airflow when riding so I'm doing the naked conversion. I also like the looks too, so it's a win win.

Except there is no buffeting with a larger windscreen, my FZ6 is SIGNIFICANTLY more comfortable at 70 mph with the fairing than it was for the two years it was setup as a naked. The naked was great around town and I loved how it looked, but anything above 70 MPH and my neck would hurt.

Here's the setup I have, no idea what the brand is.

Last edited:

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
And that's why I'll probably cut my stock screen for general and around-town use, and eventually get a puig touring screen if I ever plan on doing more than a handful of highway miles.

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
Getting the screen up to the mirror height (S2) makes a huge difference. It places my head inside the bubble and all is well above >70mph. Note: 5'10" 32" inseam.
IMG_20150120_153837_379_zps9b2ab91d.jpg

You mentioned hand pain; more often than not its not reach, its the angle of your wrist to lever interaction. Get on the bike and you may find a need to Rotate the levers down so the imaginary line from you rotator cuff through your forearm and wrist is a straight line. Extend your fingers straight out. If you have to REACH UP to use the lever its gonna hurt. Rotate the lever so you fingers, top of hand, and forearm form a straight line.
Hint - the long torso people benefit the most from this.
Look at post 8 here.... hand strength, hand cramps/pain, endurance

My levers have already been adjusted for my shoulder/arm line. The angle on them is great. I just don't have super long fingers, and the reach on my clutch lever is significantly longer than the brake...mainly because the brake is adjustable.

I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam.