Anyone ever regret or have doubt in their FZ6 purchase?

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm sure a track day would be a huge help, but is it wrong to not really be interested? Taking a class on "sport riding" doesn't really sound appealing to me, as I have no interest in tracking my bike or ever getting to the point where i'm scraping pegs, dragging knees, or doing anything other than just putting around. I dunno, I might change my mind at some point, but I'm only interested in relaxing, chilled-out rides.

That is what you think now. Do one track day and you will become addicted!
<evil grin>

Doing a track day, all traffic flows in one direction, and there are no cops enforcing speed limits.

This space intentionally left blank.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Don't take this the wrong way, but it's usually not the bike, it's the rider. I strongly suggest you take an advanced riding course, not a track day. The only reason I say some sort of street riding course because you can receive one on one coaching plus you already have the gear and bike for taking the class, unlike a track day where you must modify your bike and have certain gear requirements which you might not have. In my opinion, going to the track to improve your skills and technique to become a better rider requires a professional coach.

It's hard to identify what you're doing wrong without watching you ride. That's why you need a coach.

Last edited:

Dry Martini

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't take this the wrong way, but it's usually not the bike, it's the rider. I strongly suggest you take an advanced riding course, not a track day. The only reason I say some sort of street riding course because you can receive one on one coaching plus you already have the gear and bike for taking the class, unlike a track day where you must modify your bike and have certain gear requirements which you might not have. In my opinion, going to the track to improve your skills and technique to become a better rider requires a professional coach.

It's hard to identify what you're doing wrong without watching you ride. That's why you need a coach.

He can get all that at California Superbike school, including the gear. Different schools have different requirements, when it comes to using your own motorcycle.

This space intentionally left blank.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
He can get all that at California Superbike school, including the gear. Different schools have different requirements, when it comes to using your own motorcycle.

When I get my ass out onto the track, that's the one I would like to do, or the Yamaha one. But that's EXPENSIVE!

It appears the OP just needs to improve on the cornering skills using the correct technique, a cheap one or two day advanced rider class should do the trick, plus saddle time. Saddle time is useless unless you are using the proper technique, so that's why some sort of input from a professional rider coach will help.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site
i've had my bike a year now and never had any regrets from day one. that said its the only bike i've had besides small scooters so have no reference point

seems you're a newer rider, too. first bike. seems some may have overlooked that part, but this is A LOT of motorcycle for a first. idc what people say about starting on whatever a rider wants. new riders may not find 600cc, 100HP inline 4's ideal first bikes. smaller displacement twins or 650cc+ "torque" bikes are usually much more friendly for "first bike" riders. personally i could not imagine the FZ6 as a first bike. a "first big bike," yes. which is what it was for me. but even so after riding 150cc small bikes for 3 years prior i could not understand how to get the most out of it at first

it felt "shifty." i would lug the engine. i was told to rev it into its powerband at 8,000rpm+ but just getting to 6,000rpm in 2nd gear seemed like the bike was screaming and ready to pounce. 8,000rpm felt like i was riding a rocket, much less going to 12,500. which is peak power, i beleive. and yes the throttle felt snatchy, the clutch too light

BUT, all that changed soon enough. the bike can be rode at low rpm, and smoothly. very easily and without fuss. the bike needs a downshift sometimes to get the power up, but it will cruise at lower speed in 5th and 6th gear just fine. throttle snatch is something you will manage fine. i ride this thing in the rain, no problem. when i first got it i thought "no way i'll ever be able to take off smooth / slow enough from a stop to rain ride." not true at all

it might not be the type of bike for you. who knows? but if you learn on it and like riding fast, don't mind the high revs (it loves it!) and learn the bike well, it is very, very pleasurable to own and ride. a mild cat when you want it to be, and a wildcat when you need it to be. and vice-versa

but a "first bike" for many it is not best suited. give it a chance, though. take it slow. and when ready and you have a long straight road ahead of you take it to 90mph in second gear, shift to third and pin the throttle. you'll quickly understand :rockon:

Last edited:

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
i've had my bike a year now and never had any regrets from day one. that said its the only bike i've had besides small scooters so have no reference point

seems you're a newer rider, too. first bike. seems some may have overlooked that part, but this is A LOT of motorcycle for a first. idc what people say about starting on whatever a rider wants. new riders may not find 600cc, 100HP inline 4's ideal first bikes. smaller displacement twins or 650cc+ "torque" bikes are usually much more friendly for "first bike" riders. personally i could not imagine the FZ6 as a first bike. a "first big bike," yes. which is what it was for me. but even so after riding 150cc small bikes for 3 years prior i could not understand how to get the most out of it at first

it felt "shifty." i would lug the engine. i was told to rev it into its powerband at 8,000rpm+ but just getting to 6,000rpm in 2nd gear seemed like the bike was screaming and ready to pounce. 8,000rpm felt like i was riding a rocket, much less going to 12,500. which is peak power, i beleive. and yes the throttle felt snatchy, the clutch too light

BUT, all that changed soon enough. the bike can be rode at low rpm, and smoothly. very easily and without fuss. the bike needs a downshift sometimes to get the power up, but it will cruise at lower speed in 5th and 6th gear just fine. throttle snatch is something you will manage fine. i ride this thing in the rain, no problem. when i first got it i thought "no way i'll ever be able to take off smooth / slow enough from a stop to rain ride." not true at all

it might not be the type of bike for you. who knows? but if you learn on it and like riding fast, don't mind the high revs (it loves it!) and learn the bike well, it is very, very pleasurable to own and ride. a mild cat when you want it to be, and a wildcat when you need it to be. and vice-versa

but a "first bike" for many it is not best suited. give it a chance, though. take it slow. and when ready and you have a long straight road ahead of you take it to 90mph in second gear, shift to third and pin the throttle. you'll quickly understand :rockon:

Amazing reply. Thank you! :D

While I understand that a lower-hp FZ6R might be better suited for a newer rider, cost and convenience was a big deciding factor for me. I ended up getting my 2007 FZ6 for $3800 with 5700 miles on it, cheaper than FZ6R's I found in my area. Plus, I didn't need to buy stands for it, love the look, the dual exhaust, dual headlights, etc. Plus, the previous owner already had Leo Vince cans on it, which was extra money I didn't have to invest. I've always liked Ninja 650's as well, but my legs feel a bit cramped on them. I was actually dead-set on getting a new FZ-07 twin before decided on an FZ6. I just didn't want to drop 7k on a new first bike. I'm 5'11" 260lbs.

I just weighed all the pro's and cons, price, features, comfort, etc. and ended up with my FZ6. I realized going into it that it was more power than I really needed, but if I felt it was beyond my ability I wouldn't have bought it. I understand now that it will take time for me to really become one with the bike and really get a feel for it. I mean...I've been on a bike maybe 4 times in the past 3 years, so I'm definitely rusty. It will just take time and practice, and I'm really looking forward to the whole process.

I ordered some bar risers that should help aid in my learning/comfort. Found some 1" higher, 1.25" closer risers on amazon for a good price. It's supposed to hit 62* in my area today, and I'm planning on going for a ride with my brother. He's a new rider as well (even newer than me) and just picked up a new ninja 300 a couple weeks ago. We just cruise around the neighborhood and back roads until he takes his MSF next month.

I never expected to jump on my bike and drag a knee on day 1, I was just put off by the overall twitchy-ness of the bike. But, I still have to get things dialed in, chain adjusted, levers adjusted, cables lubed, new grips, etc. And practice, practice, practice. I'm sure after some more seat time it just becomes 2nd nature, just like driving stick shift, or doing anything else that requires practice. After a while it just feels natural. Once I get to that point, I'm sure I'm going to love the bike even more.

Seriously though, replies like this have been super helpful make me even more excited to be a part of this community. :thumbup:

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site

While I understand that a lower-hp FZ6R might be better suited for a newer rider, cost and convenience was a big deciding factor for me. I ended up getting my 2007 FZ6 for $3800 with 5700 miles on it, cheaper than FZ6R's I found in my area. Plus, I didn't need to buy stands for it, love the look, the dual exhaust, dual headlights, etc. Plus, the previous owner already had Leo Vince cans on it, which was extra money I didn't have to invest. I've always liked Ninja 650's as well, but my legs feel a bit cramped on them. I was actually dead-set on getting a new FZ-07 twin before decided on an FZ6. I just didn't want to drop 7k on a new first bike. I'm 5'11" 260lbs.

I just weighed all the pro's and cons, price, features, comfort, etc. and ended up with my FZ6. I realized going into it that it was more power than I really needed, but if I felt it was beyond my ability I wouldn't have bought it. I understand now that it will take time for me to really become one with the bike and really get a feel for it. I mean...I've been on a bike maybe 4 times in the past 3 years, so I'm definitely rusty. It will just take time and practice, and I'm really looking forward to the whole process.

I ordered some bar risers that should help aid in my learning/comfort. Found some 1" higher, 1.25" closer risers on amazon for a good price. It's supposed to hit 62* in my area today, and I'm planning on going for a ride with my brother. He's a new rider as well (even newer than me) and just picked up a new ninja 300 a couple weeks ago. We just cruise around the neighborhood and back roads until he takes his MSF next month.

I never expected to jump on my bike and drag a knee on day 1, I was just put off by the overall twitchy-ness of the bike. But, I still have to get things dialed in, chain adjusted, levers adjusted, cables lubed, new grips, etc. And practice, practice, practice. I'm sure after some more seat time it just becomes 2nd nature, just like driving stick shift, or doing anything else that requires practice. After a while it just feels natural. Once I get to that point, I'm sure I'm going to love the bike even more.

Seriously though, replies like this have been super helpful make me even more excited to be a part of this community. :thumbup:

Take your brothers bike for a spin, I had a baby Ninja before the FZ6. That thing turns in so fast it'll make your FZ6 feel stable.

Like everyone said, just get in some seat time, maybe take an advanced rider course. It'll feel natural with time.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think you just need some more time actually riding the FZ6 in normal circumstances. I'm not sure how many years riding you have. Experience does help.

I'd recommend going to a large, empty parking lot and practicing low speed maneuvers. Turns, stops, accelerate, downshift, U-turns, etc. If you get more comfortable with the bike at low speed, when you're at normal speed things get easier.

Then try a track day when you feel you're ready.

Even though riding is second nature to almost all of us, we still pay attention.

Ride safe!

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
Take your brothers bike for a spin, I had a baby Ninja before the FZ6. That thing turns in so fast it'll make your FZ6 feel stable.

Like everyone said, just get in some seat time, maybe take an advanced rider course. It'll feel natural with time.

I did take it around the block. Loved the motor, and the light weight made it super easy to handle. Only issue is it's tiny and didn't have enough leg room for lengthy rides for me. I put a couple hundred miles on my buddy's ninja 250 years ago. It was a blast but also had issues with leg room.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks! Wow. Great info!

Do you have to completely disconnect the cables from the levers to lube them, or is there a trick to it?

You can lube the clutch cable without removing it from the lever. If you look at the adjusting nut for the clutch you will see it has a slit in it in one spot. turn it so that slit faces up then use a syringe to add oil to the sheath. Put the bar up to gravity helps the oil run down the cable sheath. If it's never been lubed you will definitely notice a huge difference right away. The throttle cables unfortunately do need removed completely from the grip housing to lube. I only do them once a year.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you had a chance to ride the FZ6 anywhere interesting yet? Say south down Sheridan through Winnetka? Lot's of easy curves down that road, it'll let you really get the feel for your bike.

FZSexy

Reaction score
Visit site

oh, good pass on the FZ6R. i don't think its all about horsepower numbers, just the nature of I4 engines in general. that bike has the same engine as the FZ6, as you know. it's just been detuned and given a bit more torque down low. the FZ6 kicks its butt and has higher spec brakes, forks, and a few other things. its lighter and faster, better looking, aluminium frame, and easy to access its engine and components for lack of plastics. its just a better bike to own and ride imo. in fact a recent member here wrecked his FZ6R (XJ6 where he lives) and was given a loaner FZ6. he was immediately bitten by the FZ6 bug, abandoned his wrecked bike, and owns the FZ6 loaner! he finds it a considerable upgrade from the FZ6R, a bike he has rode thousands and thousands of miles. according to him the difference was significant, and noticed immediately

i do agree with another poster about taking it to parking lots and riding it slow. i said take it to 90mph in second and such...but that is not what i did at first. just seemed crazy. i rode around parking lots, got comfortable, shifted it a lot. like learning how to ride all over again. just the basics. i worked my way up. i seldom get into the "powerband" unless on the freeway or taking off aggressively from a stop in first gear and the bike still has plenty of go. even at 7,000rpm it seems crazy to think it has a lot more in it, but it does! its the sort of power where the faster it goes....the faster it goes. doesn't slow until 130mph, really. and top speed is around 140mph. so it just winds up and keeps on climbing and climbing toward top speed. it doesn't flatten out and start to putter out like a twin anywhere in the powerband, and roll on acceleration is excellent. good fun =]

so yeah, learn it slow imo. but going fast and getting over 8,000rpm on the highway and otherwise sort of helps you understand where you want to be with it down low, too. so once ready exploring its full rpm range at varying mph and in different gears just helps you realize its full potential in any given situation

have fun and yeah, over the FZ6R you made the absolute right choice imo

Last edited:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I've owned my FZ6 for three years, and put about 28K miles on it in that time. I've never regretted my purchase, as I love the power, looks, and comfort of the bike. There have been times though, especially more recently, where I just long for something different. A bike that handles better, is lighter and more flickable, and has more torque. But when I start looking into other options, I always end up being satisfied with the FZ6. I may or may not keep it for a long time to come, but I will never regret my purchase or be unsatisfied with the bike.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
i worked my way up. i seldom get into the "powerband" unless on the freeway or taking off aggressively from a stop in first gear and the bike still has plenty of go. even at 7,000rpm it seems crazy to think it has a lot more in it, but it does!

That's why I pretty much always cruise at around 6,000 rpm, the real power band is only 1,000 away!

ChanceCoats123

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you just need some more time actually riding the FZ6 in normal circumstances. I'm not sure how many years riding you have. Experience does help.

I'd recommend going to a large, empty parking lot and practicing low speed maneuvers. Turns, stops, accelerate, downshift, U-turns, etc. If you get more comfortable with the bike at low speed, when you're at normal speed things get easier.

Then try a track day when you feel you're ready.

Even though riding is second nature to almost all of us, we still pay attention.

Ride safe!
I cannot agree enough with this post. I took the dmv driving test for my motorcycle license and I went to an open parking lot, drew out the course (to actual size) and ran through it probably 50 times. I'm about one hundred times more comfortable at low speed because of it.

mjesenovec

Reaction score
Visit site
Have you had a chance to ride the FZ6 anywhere interesting yet? Say south down Sheridan through Winnetka? Lot's of easy curves down that road, it'll let you really get the feel for your bike.

Not yet. I've mostly been around the neighborhood and stuff since my brother can't really go anywhere (legally) yet. I plan on taking it out and stretching its legs a bit this weekend though since i'll actually have enough daylight.

thisisbenji

Reaction score
Visit site
Not yet. I've mostly been around the neighborhood and stuff since my brother can't really go anywhere (legally) yet. I plan on taking it out and stretching its legs a bit this weekend though since i'll actually have enough daylight.

Ah, well I'd suggest heading south down Sheridan and don't turn around until you get to Evanston.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So far I've covered ~21,000 miles on the Fizzer without a spill and I attribute this to the following items:
  • Stay in shape mentally and physically. I still longboard, mtbike, snow ski and stuff like that.
  • I have many years of dirtbike experience. I believe it teaches some skills that pay forward on the street. Try it if you can!
  • Parking lots - many dumps happen here on nearly perfect terrain. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Every couple of months I go there and make the tightest circles, figure eights, down-N-backs while short shifting, and turning & stopping. When you can can turn inside of 12 feet, you're getting some good practice.
  • While easing up to cars and lights I trailbrake going very slow. Slower than walking pace as it teaches low speed maneuvering on uphills, downhills, and slopped surfaces.
  • Keep building your skills. I'm not suggesting this for everyone but this is what I do: I push limits so I know my boundaries. I know how hard we can brake into a corner accelerate out of a corner before the bike slides. I ride dicey gravel roads on occasion not just because its a way to get there, but because it also builds your skills. Yes, there is risk but you learn how to handle the bike when its dancing back and forth.
  • I'm pretty sure wildlife will be my downfall. Deer, elk, skunk, raccoons, rabbits, possum and other critters fly out of the woods often and reflexes alone will not save you. You have plan and expect that its going to happen. Being better prepared will hopefully increase the odds of being successful vs a statistic!
In the miles travel I've slid the whole bike a foot sideways on gravel, slid the nose and back out countless times and the bike always recovers. It really doesn't want to fall but it will if you panic and give it BAD INPUT. LIKE: If you stop a tire on the gravel or anything slippery your doomed. Sometimes the the best action is NO ACTION! Let it do "its thing" and DO NOT OVERREACT! This causes wrecks. Point: you get these "muscle memory skills" from practice and repetition + testing your limits to grow your skill set.

I suppose I should knock on wood but things happen for a reason. Often times its the lack of preparation that leads to less favorable outcome. As riders, we must stack the odds in our favor or risk the consequences of going down.

Last edited:

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I did take it around the block. Loved the motor, and the light weight made it super easy to handle. Only issue is it's tiny and didn't have enough leg room for lengthy rides for me. I put a couple hundred miles on my buddy's ninja 250 years ago. It was a blast but also had issues with leg room.
God do I want to try a Ninja 300, my old 250 had 15K miles and shifted so damn sweetly. I imagine the 300 is an even more powerful and smooth machine compared to that with all the flickability