Accident last night... V3.0 destroyed.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Now I have to decide whether to go claim my money (for the bike only, the rest will be handled by my lawyer) from the Mercedes driver's insurance company or mine... if I go through mine, I`ll get the money faster, but I`ll have to pay the $500 deductible until the other insurance reimburses me... I will also have to get the money for my helmet from the other insurance, as my insurance does not cover anything that is not mounted on the bike (bs if you ask me...). The thing is, you don`t know what both insurance companies will offer... so I might just contact both and have them tell give me the total amount before chosing... any of you guys have experience with that kinda stuff?

Anyway, I am pretty happy of the outcome so far...

David, I would hold out for their insurance and if you don't think they are being fair, then have the lawyer create some turmoil with regards to the settlement. Typically, when the other driver is at fault, their insurance is willing to pay something above and beyond. Don't forget to add something for "loss of livelyhood/Quality of life" for being without a motorcycle. Increased costs for transportation (fuel and maintenance), all possible gear and the max amount for mods to the bike. Did you miss any work? Dr. visits? Mileage for any accident related visits to Dr., lawyer, police, etc... Don't let them bully you!

I'd say "Good Luck" but you seem to have all of that and then some!

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Just found this thread.

Glad you are okay!!!

Also, glad that the report came out with the truth!

Stay with Yamaha, if not a FZ6 then a FJR1300 :)

Ben

Thanks Ben!

The next bike won`t be a yamaha... I need something that won`t require me having to rev it up to 10k rpms to have fun :) so right now the Buell XB9 City, or XB12Scg are on top of the list... with the Triumph Street triple (or speed) a close second... test ride next wkd!!! :cheer:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
How much you expect the insurance company will offer you?

I am asking for $7.5k

That includes the bike + mods + gear.

It does not include all medical expenses + lawyer fees + compensation (pain & suffering)... which my lawyer will take care of.

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you're OK wavex, I can't believe I've only just come across this.
Good luck with the insurance, it sounds like everything is on your side so that's one consolation :thumbup:

Hope you get back on the road ASAP, preferably on a FZ6 of course can't wait to see V4.0 :rockon:

Thanks man, but no FZ6 anymore... I`ve had my share of FZ6s :lol

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
David, I would hold out for their insurance and if you don't think they are being fair, then have the lawyer create some turmoil with regards to the settlement. Typically, when the other driver is at fault, their insurance is willing to pay something above and beyond. Don't forget to add something for "loss of livelyhood/Quality of life" for being without a motorcycle. Increased costs for transportation (fuel and maintenance), all possible gear and the max amount for mods to the bike. Did you miss any work? Dr. visits? Mileage for any accident related visits to Dr., lawyer, police, etc... Don't let them bully you!

I'd say "Good Luck" but you seem to have all of that and then some!

hehe Eric... yeah I am lucky :D

I just got off the phone with Cali_Rider and he opened my eyes on what I should be expecting from the insurance company... I originally only wanted to get a fair settlement, covering the used bike and mods + helmet... but he made a good point that I should not let them give me a "cheap" offer... I told them $7.5k (and provided receipts for the mods, helmet and all), but I said to John that I was expecting less from the insurance... he said that I should not accept less, since this is a fair price... So basically I won`t take anything less than $7.5k

- I did miss 3 days of work
- SUV is costing me $95/week in gas, as opposed to $15 for the bike
- I still can`t hold my daughter using my right arm
- I still sleep like **** and can`t roll on my right shoulder
- waking up in the morning is the worse! After a hot shower and an hour or so my arm/shoulder feels better, but first thing in the morning sucks...
- I am going to a Chiropracter 2-3 times a week though, and that helps...
- hospital fees won`t be cheap... probably like $5-$10k
- Lawyer fees won`t be cheap...

All of the above will be covered by my lawyer... I only talk to my insurance about my bike, the mods, my helmet, the jacket, my work shirt that was cut by the paramedics on the scene and my work shoes that remained at the scene of the accident :D

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
hehe Eric... yeah I am lucky :D

I just got off the phone with Cali_Rider and he opened my eyes on what I should be expecting from the insurance company... I originally only wanted to get a fair settlement, covering the used bike and mods + helmet... but he made a good point that I should not let them give me a "cheap" offer... I told them $7.5k (and provided receipts for the mods, helmet and all), but I said to John that I was expecting less from the insurance... he said that I should not accept less, since this is a fair price... So basically I won`t take anything less than $7.5k

- I did miss 3 days of work
- SUV is costing me $95/week in gas, as opposed to $15 for the bike
- I still can`t hold my daughter using my right arm
- I still sleep like **** and can`t roll on my right shoulder
- waking up in the morning is the worse! After a hot shower and an hour or so my arm/shoulder feels better, but first thing in the morning sucks...
- I am going to a Chiropracter 2-3 times a week though, and that helps...
- hospital fees won`t be cheap... probably like $5-$10k
- Lawyer fees won`t be cheap...

All of the above will be covered by my lawyer... I only talk to my insurance about my bike, the mods, my helmet, the jacket, my work shirt that was cut by the paramedics on the scene and my work shoes that remained at the scene of the accident :D

Looks like you've got all the bases covered. Cali is right... don't settle for less because they know they're at fault and could pay a ton! Also, do not be hasty about settling on other than the bike and gear. Injuries can sometimes be prolonged or permanent. This is something you've yet to discover. Signing off now could mean a lot of grief later for an injury you can no longer collect on. This happened to me in an auto accident. I was the nice guy, did not sue or get a lawyer involved. They played nice and offered me a chunk sum that, at the time, seemed like a lot. I bit and took it. 12 years later, I still have residual effects in my shoulder and neck from that accident and I cannot do a darned thing about it with them. Live and learn!

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
Expect your insurance company to want you to settle, both in the value of the bike and in the rest. As much as I hate it, I'm wearing gear more and more lately...just seeing and hearing about so much. Just don't know when someone will come out of nowhere.

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Expect your insurance company to want you to settle, both in the value of the bike and in the rest. As much as I hate it, I'm wearing gear more and more lately...just seeing and hearing about so much. Just don't know when someone will come out of nowhere.

Good for you! As Nate always says: Dress for the accident!

Agente Especial

Red Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Wavex, glad you're ok man. I had a friend week before last on a Suz DL 650 VStrom who had someone make the infamous "left turn" in front of her. Two compound fractures in both forearms (as she tried to stop her impact into the SUV) and a totalled VStrom later.... she's still out of commission. Police, fire, Ems and physicians all agreed that her riding gear saved her life. She hit face first, and doesn't remember much of the incident. It would be nice to say that you've learned something from your incidents, (as we all do), but even if we ride perfectly, there's still the blind asian female lying in wait for all of us. Again, glad you made it through and good luck choosing a new steed.:thumbup:

BTW... look forward to your feedback on the belt driven buells. They sure do look wicked fast.

Last edited:

Wavex

Reaction score
Visit site
Wavex, glad you're ok man. I had a friend week before last on a Suz DL 650 VStrom who had someone make the infamous "left turn" in front of her. Two compound fractures in both forearms (as she tried to stop her impact into the SUV) and a totalled VStrom later.... she's still out of commission. Police, fire, Ems and physicians all agreed that her riding gear saved her life. She hit face first, and doesn't remember much of the incident. It would be nice to say that you've learned something from your incidents, (as we all do), but even if we ride perfectly, there's still the blind asian female lying in wait for all of us. Again, glad you made it through and good luck choosing a new steed.:thumbup:

BTW... look forward to your feedback on the belt driven buells. They sure do look wicked fast.

Wow sorry to hear about your friend... how is she doing 2 weeks later?

I shall write up a review on the Buell shortly :D