about the post "Uncontrolled intersections in China"

steven

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, everybody. I am a Chinese, I'd like to say something before that post gets nasty and more aggressive against the nationality. I don't blame that most of you can't read Chinese. At the beginning of this video, it states very clearly that all the accidents happened in 2006, and all happened at university campus, where the speed limit is 10 kmph and the vehicle should always yield to bicylist and pedestrian. That explains why "Seems like everyone is under the impression that it's their right of way despite the bigger vehicle about to hit their puny bicycles,,," I just don't want this video give u a impression that all the traffic in China has no lights and rules. that's unfair. I know the traffic in China is getting more and more heavier and crazy, but it's not like that.

China has its own problems, the government, political/economical problem, huge population, laws and rules are bended,,etc,.But they(we) are try to get this straight, NOT HOPELESS. need time. You are very welcome to discuss all the China issues, I will do my best to let u know a real China, the thing that is behind the screen. Yet, let's do it friendly or humrously please.

Take this opportunity to introduce myself, immigrate to US with my wife and a beautiful daughter three years ago. Now working for the Post office, also working very hard on my English.lol. I have over 20 years motorcycle driving experience in China, yes, I am still alive after two accidents. The bad thing is that in China any motorcycle engine which is bigger than 250cc is against law, although u can get litre bike from underground market, but u can't get a license plate, the police will chase u, if they catch u, your bike is gone, confiscated. So after I came here, I feel so good to own a YAMAHA VSTAR 1100, wow. that's my dream. But I sold it last year, more into a sporty one. Thanks for the forum, I learned a lot.

Bikebiz

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's good info, and certainly validates the video to a great extent. In light of that, it's crazy the speeds of some of those cars, obviously THEY can't read the signs!

Again thanks for the validation.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, everybody. I am a Chinese, I'd like to say something before that post gets nasty and more aggressive against the nationality. I don't blame that most of you can't read Chinese. At the beginning of this video, it states very clearly that all the accidents happened in 2006, and all happened at university campus, where the speed limit is 10 kmph and the vehicle should always yield to bicylist and pedestrian. That explains why "Seems like everyone is under the impression that it's their right of way despite the bigger vehicle about to hit their puny bicycles,,," I just don't want this video give u a impression that all the traffic in China has no lights and rules. that's unfair. I know the traffic in China is getting more and more heavier and crazy, but it's not like that.

China has its own problems, the government, political/economical problem, huge population, laws and rules are bended,,etc,.But they(we) are try to get this straight, NOT HOPELESS. need time. You are very welcome to discuss all the China issues, I will do my best to let u know a real China, the thing that is behind the screen. Yet, let's do it friendly or humrously please.

Take this opportunity to introduce myself, immigrate to US with my wife and a beautiful daughter three years ago. Now working for the Post office, also working very hard on my English.lol. I have over 20 years motorcycle driving experience in China, yes, I am still alive after two accidents. The bad thing is that in China any motorcycle engine which is bigger than 250cc is against law, although u can get litre bike from underground market, but u can't get a license plate, the police will chase u, if they catch u, your bike is gone, confiscated. So after I came here, I feel so good to own a YAMAHA VSTAR 1100, wow. that's my dream. But I sold it last year, more into a sporty one. Thanks for the forum, I learned a lot.

Great post.....thanks for the info...nice to see a Chinese point of view, and for clearing up a few things, a few people may be a little less ignorant now!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

And by the way, you obviously have worked very hard on your English, because your writing skills are excellent! :thumbup:

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't think that, that thread was about to turn ugly, just didn't get that feeling at all. I think most people where amazed that people paid so little attention to there surrounding, most folks (that I know anyway) assume that even though the law states that pedestrians have the right away, cars and such will still win the battle with flesh. Most of those folks in that video impressed me as blindly going about their way, paying little to no attention to their surroundings, and impervious to the idea that something could hurt them.;)

joe1971

Reaction score
Visit site
Great post.....thanks for the info...nice to see a Chinese point of view, and for clearing up a few things, a few people may be a little less ignorant now!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

And by the way, you obviously have worked very hard on your English, because your writing skills are excellent! :thumbup:

+1 I agree

steven

Reaction score
Visit site
I didn't think that, that thread was about to turn ugly, just didn't get that feeling at all. I think most people where amazed that people paid so little attention to there surrounding, most folks (that I know anyway) assume that even though the law states that pedestrians have the right away, cars and such will still win the battle with flesh. Most of those folks in that video impressed me as blindly going about their way, paying little to no attention to their surroundings, and impervious to the idea that something could hurt them.;)

You are right,,many people pay little attention to their surrounding. Lack of traffic education is one of the reason, the other important reason is that most of the people in 2006 are not drivers themselves. They don't know what it looks like behind the wheel, and how much a driver can do to avoid a accident. They trust too much on the drivers to have the ability to avoid the accident. And in American, most of the pedestrians are driver themselves. That make a huge difference.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You are right,,many people pay little attention to their surrounding. Lack of traffic education is one of the reason, the other important reason is that most of the people in 2006 are not drivers themselves. They don't know what it looks like behind the wheel, and how much a driver can do to avoid a accident. They trust too much on the drivers to have the ability to avoid the accident. And in American, most of the pedestrians are driver themselves. That make a huge difference.

Does it also have something to do with the fact that there seems to be just too many people & vehicles in the one place at the same time....which always creates havoc, no matter, where you are in the World.

:thumbup: