Yet another seat question thread

What should go under me

• Top Sellerie

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Airhawk or Gel with Corbin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Airhawk or Gel with stocker

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Something else like a full custom (please comment)

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters

cranduit

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, to start, I hated the stock seat, like less than an hour hate. So I sprung for a Corbin (used of course). In the meantime, I bought bar backs and tank grips (I couldn't stop sliding on the Corbin).

Well, yesterday I put in my first real ride (around 7 hours, 300 miles with a bit of everything, twisty, slab, cruising highway) and for most of the trip my butt was just sore around the two points of the sitting bone or whatever it's called. My tailbone was sore anytime I tried to relieve the sitting bone pain. I also developed a pain in my left knee after I got off.

About me, about 5'10", 195 pounds (was 250 in Dec, aiming for probably 180ish probably, I have big shoulders), a measured inseam of 30" all the way up, but with pants probably 28-29".

So I guess my question is, do you think the Top Sellerie will fix this and let me go a bit farther? Or maybe an AirHawk or Gel pad, either with the stock seat and sell the Corbin, or just with the Corbin? I'm open to any suggestions I just don't want to spend $1000 trying to find the perfect seating arrangement only to find I should have just bought a Russell or something.

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm a TS man - get it with the gel pad option and you should be haulin' a.. happily for miles :)

BIGsexy9216

Reaction score
Visit site
I have issues like that as well but with my nards getting numb after a while. My current solution is the AirHawk 2 Touring Seat Pad (15 L x 14 W). I just picked it up today and took it on a very short ride because it was pouring. My thought behind this is that I can transfer the pad to any bike any time. I'm planning on going with the TS seat once the snow flies so I can send my base to them for a good fit as I've read that other bases may not fit properly if you buy one from them.

My first moments on the AirHawk is that it does change the ride a bit. It's definitely not for twisties as it can feel a bit like sitting on ball bearings as you shift from side to side. It does change the ride height a little. In my case, for the better. I'm riding a '09 and the wind off the screen was hitting right under my helmet and causing buffeting. Now I'm just high enough that it's not a problem (I'm 6'1" by the way). For comfort, it's great! I need to try it on a longer ride but I definitely didn't have the hot spots like before that were instant.

I did pick it up from a local dealer for $118 CND. I'm really finding that you need to just try something and see if it works for you and everyone is different size, weight, riding position, etc. With the AirHawk, you also have a 60 day guarantee so no money lost if it doesn't work. Good luck!

NorCal FZ6

Just some dude
Reaction score
Visit site
Although the Corbin is expensive. I have had no real issues with the seat. I also was able to go to the plant. Its leaps and bounds over the stock seat, in my opinion. My major gripe is that it is heavy(9-10 lbs.) Common sense tells you everybody's ergonomics are different; weight, reach, inseam etc. That being the case you just have try seats out in general. I would say anything you can have close to personally fitted is the best. I really liked the sound and the look of the Top Sellerie seat. I also believe I read the seat pan is made of some type of paper material which I would think perhaps is light. Unfortunately, I felt the stock seat was so horrible I just wanted to change it up. I would say definitely invest in a seat from a company that you can provide a tailored measurement too. Depending on your ergo's, sitting in the seat and against it, is so much better. If adding weight to the bike is a concern I would find out what the product is made of and start from there. For a stock 600 this bike is heavy in comparison. Also another company you might want to check out is Bill Meyer. Check out there website, it also looks like they provide the customer with lots of variety and options. Just my .02 cents. The Spencer seat mod is also what i would consider to be an affordable option and the stock seat is heaps lighter already. Think about the riding you'll be doing (commuting, touring, speeding, gas mileage) then invest in a fitted seat. It's well worth it. I too have 30" inseam so I automatically wanted to lower myself on the bike without changing the shock height and fork angle. I am still not flat footed but close in the right shoes.

Last edited:

Fishwiz4

Reaction score
Visit site
I love my TS seat, but have never tried a corbin. I know what you mean about the"sitting bones" and I think a TS would help. They are very plush compared to the corbin and I think they take some pressure off that bone and distribute it over your entire butt.

Do you live near any forum members? There are plenty of ts seat owners that would let you try it out. Let me know if you are ever near eastern nd.

And.... If you get one of their in stock pre made seats it should cost pretty close to 300 bucks.... Not too bad in my opinion

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

cranduit

Reaction score
Visit site
I guess that's a good question, anyone in the IN, IL, OH, MI, or KY area that's willing to let me take a spin? :D