What type of cage should I get?

RJ2112

Reaction score
www.etsy.com
Being bald fat and married has it's advantages when it comes to cars..... I don't need to impress anyone. Cars are something to be avoided, if there is any chance of riding a bike. As such, the box is just a thing to get me from here, to there.

I've been driving a Toyota Echo, that I bought new in 2000 for 135,000 miles. Just got around to putting front brake pads in the thing. Tires last 50K or better. Had to plug in the rear window defroster, as it was loose as delivered. Upgraded the headlights this year, as they were starting to dim after 8 years. I got 43 MPG when it was new, still get 38 or better, and that's with the 10% ethanol blend as part of the equation.

The Echo is a fugly little car. It is not ever going to be mistaken for a chick magnet. Does well in the snow, hauls four adults with comfort..... is nervous on the highway in side winds.

It has been replaced by the Scion Xa, Xb and the Toyota Yaris.... all of which have the same chassis and drive train. All of which also have upgraded sway bars and suspension components that deal with the 'tippyness' I tolerate.

If this one ever breaks, I will replace it with another Toyota. Zero hassle car.

Nefilim

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been looking into the Mazda3 a bit.

I guess I should mention what weather in Mobile is like: it looks like it's going to rain every day during the summer and the rain is pretty much liquefied hale storms that pound your windshield to the point you think it's going to cave in. Needless to say, getting caught in it on a bike is no fun at all.

On the other hand, there's many days where I look at the weather, say "Screw it, I'll drive" and putt off in a cage only for the streets to be completely dry and I'm unable to enjoy any of it because... I'm in a cage.

After measuring my driveway, I don't really see a way I can fit a truck under my carport along with my bike, so now the list is looking like:

Mazda MX-5 Miata
Mazda 3
Honda CRV
Honda Fit
Honda Accord
Toyota Carolla

Looks like I'll be doing some test driving once I recover from having my wisdom teeth removed. As for towing... can all of these cars (maybe not the Miata) tow the FZ6?

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
So long as you can get a hitch rated for 2000 pounds, you'll be able to tow the bike. It might not tow all that fast, but it'll tow.

My Civic hauled my K75 on a trailer, and the FZ6 weighs about a hundred pounds less. So any of the cars on your list should do fine, since they all have more power than my Civic.

MikeSpeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Mazda MX-5 Miata
Mazda 3
Honda CRV
Honda Fit
Honda Accord
Toyota Carolla

If you are looking for something to tow/haul a bike then my vote would have to be for a truck. thats what they do,... I know they suck on gas, and ride like a truck, but a good truck can last you a long time, and riding the bike on nice days can help offset the cost of gas.

You could fit a bike in the back of a Honda Fit
Motorcycle Cradle? - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

But I think the Honda Element looks like a better option. (same motor as the Accord, and slightly more macho than a CRV)
fitting an SV650 in a minivan? - Page 3 - Suzuki SV650 Forum: SV650, SV1000, Gladius Forums

LOL I guess with some modifications a civic would work too,... scroll down second link

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
If I was getting something for utility, my first choice would be an old Suzuki Samurai. Then with all the money I would have saved from buying an old vehicle I would get a VW turbodiesel swapped in (fairly common swap) and still have cash on top. That way I could go wherever I wanted on-road or off, get good mileage, and be able to tow/haul anything I cared to, like the bike.