What oil to use?????

Acle Paul

Reaction score
Visit site
Morning/Evening,

I want to change the oil on my FZ6-S (600) and it is the first time I'm doing this. Simple question really, any suggestions on the best oil to use. The manual says either SAE10W30 or 20W40, which I get. The bit that confuses me is that it states API grade SE, SF, SG but the the oil in the local shop is SL. When looking online it suggests that SE, SF, & SG is only for much older vehicles, whereas my bike is 2004. This grading online mostly seems to relate to cars so I'm not sure if it is very different for bikes. My local store has Castrol 1 Racing 4T Fully Synthetic SL. Is this going to be OK?.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Fawlty

Reaction score
Visit site
Morning/Evening,

I want to change the oil on my FZ6-S (600) and it is the first time I'm doing this. Simple question really, any suggestions on the best oil to use. The manual says either SAE10W30 or 20W40, which I get. The bit that confuses me is that it states API grade SE, SF, SG but the the oil in the local shop is SL. When looking online it suggests that SE, SF, & SG is only for much older vehicles, whereas my bike is 2004. This grading online mostly seems to relate to cars so I'm not sure if it is very different for bikes. My local store has Castrol 1 Racing 4T Fully Synthetic SL. Is this going to be OK?.

Thanks

Paul

Any semi synthetic or synthetic 10w30, 10w40 or 20w40 motorcycle specific oil will be fine. Personally I use Motul 10w40 fully synthetic, as do a number of members of this forum. Yamaha no longer sell 10w30 Yamalube in Spain, which is recommended in the owners manual. My main Yamaha dealer now recommends Yamalube 10w40, but of course, this is more expensive than other available and suitable oils.
Do not use any oil that is not motorcycle specific, as it may cause clutch slip.

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Morning/Evening,

Thanks

Paul

There is an entire forum dedicated just for oil alone. Enjuay the hundreds of threads regarding this topic

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
The manual has no doubt made a simple matter relatively confusing! See the statements below:

1. Recommended engine oil grade: API SE, SF, SG type or higher.
2. Do not use oils with a diesel specification of "CD" or oils of a higher quality than specified. In addition, do not use oils labeled "ENERGY CONSERVING II" or higher.

The confusion can come from point 1 mentioning the grade 'or higher' and point 2 saying not to use a higher than specified quality. But if you distinguish that grade & quality are not the same thing then the confusion can be reduced slightly.
You cannot go wrong if you fulfill the advice given in the manual:

a. Stick to MC oils. (This way you'll avoid the diesel CD grades)
b. Select one of the recommended viscosities.
c. Make sure the oil meets the recommended API grade or surpasses it. (Oil grades are backward compatible so for example if your manual says API SG, then it is OK to use API SL/SN etc.)