Went to see a ninja, Fell in love with the Versys

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
So i went to the stealership today to look at a couple of ninja 500r's and test ride them (i inquired about them 2 days before and both were available), only to find out they BOTH had sold, drove an hr and 40 mins to find out the bike i wanted not two days ago (and had been on C-list for a MONTH) was gone, being ridden by some squid somewhere.

Little did i know this would turn out to be a good (and bad) thing. My father inquired about a mule and meanwhile i looked at other used bikes.... i came across a 2010 Versys, another bike i was previously considering, and really liked how it looked. Ended up test riding it, and as soon as i pulled onto the twisty side road by the dealership, i couldn't get the ear to ear smile off of my face...

The Versys looks like it would be a little put put commuter bike, it looks like it would be cumbersome and not real great for twisties....Boy, Looks can be decieving!!! It is hands down the best handling bike i've ever ridden.

After a 5 mile test ride it felt like i had owned and ridden the bike for years/miles, It's just so pleasant and easy to drive.

As for the powerhouse in the chassis, that has a hellava lot more go than you would expect! It's got more than enough power to keep you very interested and also, like the FZ can put around all day as a commuter. The guy at the dealership said that the Versys will smoke a 650 ninja to about 100mph due to the lower end torque. And boy there is some torque!

The one i drove was lowered, But even so the seating position is absolutely perfect, for me anyways. Best way i can describe it is like riding a dirtbike, just lower.

So here's my dilemma (the bad): it's a 2010, at a stealership.... Guy wants about 2200 more than I was hoping to spend on a bike...

It's black.... they only made the black in 2010, they also made cosmetic changes that make it look (IMO) much much better than previous models...

It's funny once you fall for something how much your willing to pay for something when there's others out there for better prices that are slightly less attractive...

But by god, what a bike...:thumbup:

Anyways, going to get some more sleep, crunch some numbers... and see if i could afford this beast... Will update tomorrow. Will toss a google picture of the 2010. lemme know whatcha think.
images

images

charlie12

Reaction score
Visit site
When I was looking for a bike, I checked out the whole 2 naked bikes available at the local dealership (everything else had clip-ons or chrome) -- one was a versys, one was an FZ6. Being 6'6", I thought the Versys was by far the more comfortable option, much better than the Yamaha and other bikes I'd looked at. Just don't tell the beast sitting in my garage I said that.

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
When I was looking for a bike, I checked out the whole 2 naked bikes available at the local dealership (everything else had clip-ons or chrome) -- one was a versys, one was an FZ6. Being 6'6", I thought the Versys was by far the more comfortable option, much better than the Yamaha and other bikes I'd looked at. Just don't tell the beast sitting in my garage I said that.
Hard to ignore that r6 engine though :thumbup: your Fazer can sit smug in your garage knowing it's got that advantage :D
But yeah i couldn't believe how comfortable the thing is for not being a cruiser, i've ridden cruisers that we're comfortable but the Versys absolutely blows that away.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
My 2010 Versys will be for sale.... It is the exact bike you have pictured here (in black too). My bike has about 3200km (2000 miles). In pretty much showroom shape. I live about 3.5 hours from you... I realize in reality you would not consider it since the price would be too high and you would have to drag it through US customs (I am sure a little bit of a headache)... It's exactly how you described.... nice bike, but I prefer the FZ6. Besides, I have my sights on the newly redesigned 2012 650 V-Strom....:thumbup:

dxh24

Ambitious But Rubbish
Reaction score
Visit site
How much ya looking for it? the only one i'm looking at now is pretty close to the "out of the crate" price so i'm willing to take a drive/ deal with customs pricks for the right bike :D