Vosges, France, to shut passes in the weekend to bikers.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As some of you already know my main ride of this year was going to be a 4 day trip to the French region of Alsace, specifically the "Ballons des Vosges".

I recently read a Dutch article from the ANWB promotor (AAA or AA equivelent in Holland) that says that the regional departement of Haut-Rhin is planning to shut the higher passes to motorbikes in the weekend (de Col de la Schlucht, Louchbach, Bagenelles, Bramont, d’Oderen and the Col du Ballon ) :(

Now as you can guess this would really throw a spanner in the works of my long made holiday plans, unfortunately with myself and Mrs Cloggy both working I can only really go in the weekend. Well If this goes ahead I'll have to change my plans and go to another country/region :(

The Fédérations Françaises de la Moto (FFM) has set up an online E-petition against this, It would be great if those of you who want these passes to stay open to motorbikes in the weekend would fill it in :thumbup:

Last edited:

PPieter

Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Vosges, France to shut passes in the weekend. Please sign E-petition

Signed, as it is a very beautiful region to ride your bike (and I'm planning on going there myself again this summer :D). Sadly, this is another example of an action with no clear benefits but only disadvantage for motorbikes . I'm wondering what the locals think of this measure, as I had the impression they are very welcoming and open to bikers.

Thanks for the news so we can actually try to prevent it from happening. :thumbup:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Vosges, France to shut passes in the weekend. Please sign E-petition

Many thanks for your support Pieter :thumbup:

I think that this area is one of the most popular long weekend trips for bikers from the Netherlands, I've heard a lot of great things about the area but also the hospitality and freindliness of the people in this region. If they do ban motorcyclists on a weekend I realy think the local economy will suffer, so I can't imagine that the locals would support this action, I hope not anyway.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Vosges, France to shut passes in the weekend.

Well it looks as if the ban is not going ahead :cheer:

The petition is now closed but I recieved this in a mail from the organisors of the petition:

"Thank you to you for supporting the FFMC 68 against the project of the Prefecture and the General Council of 68 passes Vosges to ban bikers ; you have been 19000 to sign this petition and your mobilization has enabled the suppression of this project ; this petition is now closed, but stay, like us, vigilant!
Bientôt de retour and http://[URL="https://www.facebook.com/ffmc68"]fr-fr.facebook.com/ffmc68[/URL]"

Many thanks to everyone who signed.

So it looks like my holiday will be going ahead after all :thumbup:

Last edited:

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Well it looks as if the ban is not going ahead :cheer:

The petition is now closed but I recieved this in a mail from the organisors of the petition:

"Thank you to you for supporting the FFMC 68 against the project of the Prefecture and the General Council of 68 passes Vosges to ban bikers ; you have been 19000 to sign this petition and your mobilization has enabled the suppression of this project ; this petition is now closed, but stay, like us, vigilant!
Bientôt de retour and http://[URL="https://www.facebook.com/ffmc68"]fr-fr.facebook.com/ffmc68[/URL]"

Many thanks to everyone who signed.

So it looks like my holiday will be going ahead after all :thumbup:
Great news, I missed the petition sorry. Good effort people.

Neil
I wonder if we should have a separate bike legislation / petition thread?
I'll ask the question in the lounge.

Neil

SteveH41

Reaction score
Visit site

Bloody French again...............pppffffttttt....

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Bloody French again...............pppffffttttt....

IMO it was a good initiative from the (French) FFMC68, it's great to see riders taking action against this sort of thing. In places like Holland and Germany they have already closed many roads for motorbikes in the weekend :(.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I read this on a french website: Interdiction dans les Vosges : le préfet décide de calmer le jeu « News – Moto Journal

Translated with google:

: "Prohibition in the Vosges: the prefect decides to calm the game
By PierreO, January 25, 2013

A few days after announcing work on a possible ban passes Vosges motorcycles weekend, the prefecture of Haut-Rhin states that it "is not on the agenda."
The strong mobilization of bikers and their representatives, FFM, and FFMC Codever head, against a possible ban on motorcycles in some traffic passes of the Vosges, would she paying? In a way yes, according to a press release issued on 24 January by the prefect of the Haut-Rhin.

"In fact, only one study is in progress on possible measures to be applied. No specific measures will be taken to the collar without consultation with all stakeholders. This should be due to legal and technical studies. In any event, the driving ban is not on the agenda, "writes Alain Perret including the prefect, just three days after the storm triggered.

One way to close the debate? Yes and no. Read about the prefect, if the ban is not on the agenda, it is not totally thrown into oblivion because consultations are discussed and possible legal and technical studies.

Especially as the prefect, "in partnership with the General Council of Haut-Rhin," he said, "particularly careful to respect the environment in the Vosges (Commissioner of massive regional natural park of the Vosges, the Natura 2000 network) , tourism development, road safety and freedom of movement for all. Through this collaborative approach, the desire is to make passes Vosges shared circulation spaces and secure, where everyone finds his place in order to provide an effective response to environmental and peace of crowded areas during the summer, as well as accident on mountain roads. It is an approach to duty of public authorities. It is in this spirit that evoked the principle of reflection in the form of stock of the situation, allowing the use of appropriate modes of action in the form of awareness of all those who use the road. "

No doubt the bikers and all those who are committed to freedom of movement will remain vigilant!

Unfortunately it seems like the decision has only be posponed whilst they (the local council) consider their options :(

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

I found an English write up on the FEMA site
Which refers to this French article:Motomag

There is also a Dutch one on motorfreaks

It definately sounds as if they are posponing it for now but will be (still) looking into it :(

Looking at the passes they're proposing to close they will really cut off a few of the nicer roads (on the higher ridge which runs North to south).

Anyway I hope they wait a while as we've decided to go ahead with the trip, but we'll be going on Thursday which will give us the Friday to ride around, the saturday might have to be an altered route, and ride back on the Sunday, but I really hope they hold off for a while.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

[
OK I finally found the source of the reports :woohoo:

I sent an email to a hotel in the area (which we are planning to stay at), the owner is Dutch but he sent me a (PDF) copy of the press release .

Here is the official press release:

View attachment 46536

In French:

Colmar, le 24 janvier 2013
COMMUNIQUE DE PRESSE du Préfet du Haut-Rhin
Faire des cols vosgiens des espaces de circulation partagés et sécurisés pour tous
Le Préfet du Haut-Rhin, en partenariat avec le Conseil Général du Haut-Rhin, est tout
particulièrement attentif au respect de l'environnement dans les Vosges (commissariat de
massif, parc naturel régional des Vosges, réseau Natura 2000), au développement
touristique, à la sécurité routière et à la liberté de circulation de tous.
A travers cette démarche concertée, la volonté affichée est de faire des cols vosgiens des
espaces de circulation partagés et sécurisés, où chacun trouve sa place afin d'apporter une
réponse efficace au respect de l’environnement et de la tranquillité d’espaces très
fréquentés en période d’été, ainsi qu’à l'accidentologie sur les routes de montagne. Il s’agit
d’une démarche de devoir des pouvoirs publics.
C’est dans cet esprit qu’a été évoqué le principe d’une réflexion en forme de bilan de la
situation, permettant le cas échéant d’employer des modes d’action en forme de
sensibilisation à l’égard de tous ceux qui utilisent les routes.
De fait, seule une réflexion est en cours sur d’éventuelles mesures à appliquer. Aucune
mesure spécifique aux cols ne sera prise sans concertation avec toute les parties
prenantes. Celle-ci devra faire suite à des études juridiques et techniques. En tout état de
cause, l’interdiction de circuler n’est pas à l’ordre du jour.
Contact presse :
Sébastien BOUCHE
Chef du Service Départemental de la Communication Interministérielle de l’Etat
Cabinet du Préfet - Préfecture du Haut-Rhin
03 89 29 20 05

translated with google:

Colmar, January 24, 2013

PRESS RELEASE Prefect of the Upper Rhine

Make passes Vosges shared circulation spaces and secure for all

The Prefect of Haut-Rhin, in partnership with the General Council of Haut-Rhin, is paying particular attention to the respect of the environment in the Vosges (police station massive regional natural park of the Vosges, the Natura 2000 network), development tourism, road safety and freedom of movement for all.

Through this collaborative approach, the desire is to collar the Vosges
shared circulation spaces and secure, where everyone finds his place in order to provide effective response to environmental and quiet spaces very
frequented during the summer, as well as accident on mountain roads. It is
an approach to duty of public authorities.

It is in this spirit that evoked the principle of reflection in the form of balance sheet situation, allowing the use of appropriate mechanisms of action in the form of awareness of all those who use the roads.

In fact, only one study is in progress on possible measures to be applied. no
specific measure passes will be taken without any consultation with the parties involved. This should be due to legal and technical studies. In any
case, the driving ban is not on the agenda.

Press Contact:
Sébastien MOUTH
Head of Departmental Communication Inter State
Office of the Prefect - Prefecture of Haut-Rhin
? 03 89 29 20 05

BTW I like the way google even translated the guys name.

Well the hotel owner also sent an official (French) letter to the council explaining that 95% of his guests are motorbike riders and that this would do a lot of damage to not just his but many businesses in the area, he also said that many tourist businesses in the area are working together to try to ensure that this does not happen, which is why he thinks it's got little chance of succeeding.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here's a recent press release from the French motorbike organisations the FFM, FFMC & CODEVER:

View attachment 46935

Here's a rough translation:

Press release, Paris Monday 4 March 2013

THE GENERAL COUNCIL OF the UPPER RHINE CONFIRMS THE CANCELLATION OF THE DRAFT RESTRICTION OF MOVEMENT

In January, the President of the General Council of Haut-Rhin and Haut-Rhin Prefecture planned to prohibit the circulation of motorcycles on weekends on the majority of the Vosges passes.

The French Federation of Motorcycling (FFM) La French Federation of Angry Bikers (FFMC) and the Collective Defense Recreation Greens (CODEVER) had strongly responded to this threat by stating, that the freedom to go and come is a fundamental constitutional right.

The Prefect of Haut-Rhin then pulled back, by announcing that this was only a reflection and no decision would be taken without consultation with all parties concerned.

The President of the General Council of Haut-Rhin, Charles Buttner, has written to the President of the French Federation of Motorcycling, Jacques Bolle, confirming that a riding ban is not on the agenda.

The FFM, the FFMC and CODEVER welcome the return of common sense reminiscent of Alsace and they will not hesitate to leap whenever needed to defend the practice of motorcycling in all its forms.

It gives me more confidence in taking my trip to the vosges later this year :rockon:

It's great to know these guys won't let it happen without at least putting up a fight :thumbup: