Should I ride my bike out to NC?

Should I ride my bike to NC?

• Yes. Why did you even ask?

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • No. You're with the family, be with the family.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Maybe, if you think you're ready.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Only if you find another rider.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
So, the family and I are going camping in Cherokee next week. If you don't know, Cherokee, NC is about an hour from the dragon. But, I'm going to be the only bike rider there. And we don't have a truck or a trailer to get the bike up there. I'd have to ride it 480 miles or so in a day to get there. I've taken a few day trips at 200-250 miles round trip, but they always have a few hour "rest stop" in the middle.

Since I'm the only rider, I probably wouldn't be able to get more than 1 or 2 decent rides in. The rest would be going where ever the families are going.

If someone wants to meet up, that could work too. I'm just wondering if I should even ride that far, for that long, what I'd need to do if I did ride it, and if I'm getting in over my head. I asked all my riding buddies here and got about as many answers as people I asked.

2006_FZ6

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Will the vehicle you're driving tow a trailer? I rented a U-Haul motorcycle trailer for $14 a day when I picked up my FZ6. Only used it for about 5 hours.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Will the vehicle you're driving tow a trailer? I rented a U-Haul motorcycle trailer for $14 a day when I picked up my FZ6. Only used it for about 5 hours.

This is a good option.

Even if you can't and you just ride there under 500 miles is very doable and still won't be a killer.

That said, I think the gap is like the US mecca for motorcyclists. If this is your only opportunity to ever get there I'd say its a must. But, if you think you can do this trip some other time and spend a couple days enjoying all the other great roads around it I'd say do that.

(I voted yes, why even ask lol)

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a van. Dodge Grand Caravan. So it'll pull some weight, but not a lot. And with the van already being loaded down with camping gear... I don't know. I'll look into it.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
It's a van. Dodge Grand Caravan. So it'll pull some weight, but not a lot. And with the van already being loaded down with camping gear... I don't know. I'll look into it.

I would look into it. Pulling a 200lb trailer and a 400lb bike isn't that much weight, especially since it's all flat terrain for about 90% of your trip from FL.

I would not ride 500 miles each way just to spend one day in the Smoky Mountains...I would personally take an extra 3 days off if need be to spend extra time around the area after the camping trip. I have been to the Dragon 5 times and unless you hit it first thing in the morning or on a week day you will have more fun on the surrounding roads that aren't full of minivan campers. :BLAA:

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
We'd be there from the 21st to the 25th. I might be able to hang around another day. I don't have to be back to work until the 28th.

I am having a hard time finding motorcycle trailers for rent longer than a few hours though.

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
500 miles is nothing, just get on the road about 6am and you'll be there mid afternoon. You don't have to take much since the family can take your junk in the car. Take your cell phone, a patch/inflator kit in case you get a flat, a small tank bag and you are good to go. Look at it as a first time adventure with little downside.

Last edited:

TampaFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
I just rode from Tampa to Gatlinburg, TN with the family in the SUV. I thought the whole vacation went well. I did a ride over to the dragon but that was my only time spent on the bike the rest with the family.

My wife was supportive and we had my 18 year old to share the driving and help with the little kids.

I did 661 on the trip up and 750 on the trip back around the Smokeys. Just stop every couple of hours to stretch and hydrate.

If you get that close to the dragon and can't ride it that would hurt. ;)