short review and some help required

desperate

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi

I have now had my new fz6 abs for just over 1 year and 7000 happy miles. I have been very pleased with the bike, I use it for a daily commute and a bit of weekend fun. It does this so well it can cruise at low revs and give it a twist and it lights up. It feels like 2 bikes in one !. The fuel consumption is good at 50 mpg. The physical size is good for filtering, the seat is comfortable for about 2 hours constant then I need a break.

On the down side is that 1st to 2nd gear change, what are yamaha thinking of ? do the test riders not use those gears. Once I had a box full of nuetrals and had to coast to a stop on a busy road, turn off the bike and start again. That annoying vibration at 5k revs, so often the rev band for gently cruising south east uk roads. The choice is to go up to 6k or drop below to 4 k where there is no torque left. The passenger seat gets hot and to change the rear shock preset is fiddly every time I take a pillion. I have tried keeping it the same but the handling is affected so much I prefer to change it.

I actually love the bike and glad I choose it over the opposition on my short list as it does a bit of everything well.

Now the problem I have is dear wife wants to ride more with me and when we are both on board the bike is at its load limit !!!!!!!!! add some luggage and I think the bike may not be up to it. At 98hp it does cope as when 2 up I cruise so I have enough power but sometimes it lacks the torque and the bike just feels too small. When we are on the motorway at a steady 75mph the bike copes but feels busy and I think the rear shock struggles with the weight as it does wallow a bit.

I have started to look at a bigger bike but still come back to my fazer. Many 1000 cc bikes actually have the same hp so is it worth trading up at the cost of worse fuel consumption. I have been looking at the new suzuki 1250 bandit GT, any thoughts or suggestions. I would love to keep my fazer so can the shock be upgraded to one with an easy adjustment.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Your review is right on. I agree with everything you stated.
The bigger bikes you speak of with similar HP.. you have to look at torque ratings. They'll likely have nearly double the torque of FZ6 and it will be very noticeable.
I've ridden Bandit 1250 and in my opinion it is a phenomenal bike. The few things which I find less than perfect on FZ6 are non-issues on Bandit. Zero vibration; seat never heats up; very smooth shifting; monstrous torque even at 2k rpm. Never tried to adjust the shock on it, so not sure if it's any easier than on FZ6. Oh and it still gets over 40mpg :)

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
I been taking the lady to work and back for a while now. We lane split too, and have a fair number of hills and such.

Your riding style has to change, braking is another game entirely. But totally doable, the fazer IS up to it :thumbup:

You'll have to adjust the rear spring tension (maximum at 7) and check that the chain is not too tight. Tyre pressure also needs to be watched.

Safe riding

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Great review... very objective for an owner! :)

If you already played with the stock suspension pre-load settings, I would recommend you try better suspension front and rear before buying a new bike... racetech makes the springs for the front and an Ohlin should give you what you're looking for in the rear.

About the tranny 1-2 issue, using Rotella Full Synth had helped make it somewhat smoother to me... you may want to try a different oil (not sure if you have Rotella in the UK though...).

Bandit sounds good... or an FJR, FZ1... etc...

Good luck!

Ravenfz09

Reaction score
Visit site
Your review is right on. I agree with everything you stated.
The bigger bikes you speak of with similar HP.. you have to look at torque ratings. They'll likely have nearly double the torque of FZ6 and it will be very noticeable.
I've ridden Bandit 1250 and in my opinion it is a phenomenal bike. The few things which I find less than perfect on FZ6 are non-issues on Bandit. Zero vibration; seat never heats up; very smooth shifting; monstrous torque even at 2k rpm. Never tried to adjust the shock on it, so not sure if it's any easier than on FZ6. Oh and it still gets over 40mpg :)

yeah a bigger bike always has more torque, but depending on the state of tune (and design) is whether or not u have much more hp or if at all. hp has more to do with rpms then torque does. the 1250 does look like a nice bike