Pushing it too much on highway

flyingrizzly

Reaction score
Visit site
My fz6 is my first bike. I've had it for almost a year and have enjoyed every ride. When I'm on the highway I am usually doing 80-85 and that's just to keep with the flow of traffic, I'm not passing anybody. I am 6'1 and weigh in at just over 260lbs. I'm only on for about 15 min (12miles +/-) before I get to my exit. Am I pushing it too much? I've never had any problems during or after my highway run but I just want to be sure (as a newbie).

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
Do you mean "pushing it" like working the bike too much? Absolutely not. Do not fear!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just remember, one of the primary causes for crashes is due to excessive speed. However, given a choice to go above the posted speed limit, you're better off doing it on the freeway rather than the surface streets. Just remember to maintain plenty of cushion, don't follow too closely.

By the way, if you're going 80 indicated, you're going about 72 actual. The speedo is off.

SweaterDude

Broke-zillionaire
Reaction score
Visit site
My fz6 is my first bike. I've had it for almost a year and have enjoyed every ride. When I'm on the highway I am usually doing 80-85 and that's just to keep with the flow of traffic, I'm not passing anybody. I am 6'1 and weigh in at just over 260lbs. I'm only on for about 15 min (12miles +/-) before I get to my exit. Am I pushing it too much? I've never had any problems during or after my highway run but I just want to be sure (as a newbie).

If you're doing it in 1st or 2nd:BLAA: otherwise youre fine.

about the speedo thing is that on both generations(-09) or just the S1(-06) models?

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
lol, dude, the fz is a strong bike. I had my shift linkage come off sunday :eek: and had to ride 63miles home in 3rd gear, including highway. I did try working the output with my hand but I could only go up in gears not down(since its on the left side you need your left hand to clutch down :( )
but anyways, ride it responsibly and you shouldnt get any complaints outta her :thumbup:

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
as already confirmed, you are not doing any harm to the bike by going 80-85, the bike likes to be ragged. be sure you re comfortable riding at that speed so that you minimize panicking or something and cause an accident, if you re comfortable at this speed, the bike is perfectly at ease.

keep enjoying your fz

ChevyFazer

Redneck MacGyver
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes unfortunately the fz6 only like to cruise at 120-130mph any lower can cause sever damage

oaks

~~~~~
Reaction score
Visit site
about the speedo thing is that on both generations(-09) or just the S1(-06) models?

Both gens, it would seem. My 2009's speedometer reads about 10% fast compared to my Garmin. (E.g., speedometer says 60 mph, GPS says 54 mph.)

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
lol so I basically just need to scope out a stretch of highway first and then have my fun? lol if only it were that easy

adberns

Reaction score
Visit site
VegasRider makes an excellent point - if you mean "pushing it" as in taking too many risks, well, how comfortable are you at those speeds? It's true, accidents are usually caused by speed disparities. That being said, if you are not comfortable at 80-85 MPH, perhaps you should find a different road or a different time to ride when traffic is slower.

That being said, interstates have a relatively low number of accidents - no left-turners, little cross traffic, no sudden entrances or exits, etc. So I usually tell people if they are comfortable at interstate speeds, its likely a better bet than the "backroads". Again, though, what are you comfortable with?

flyingrizzly

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the responses. I am very comfortable with the speed. I am an aggressively defensive driver. I never let myself get boxed in, always keep my distance and always make sure there is a way out.

As for the relative safety of the interstate, DOT calls Glades Rd to Gateway Blvd "the deadliest strip of highway, with more traffic fatalities per mile than any other highway in the united states"

red_rock_beetle

Reaction score
Visit site
i had the same question, i have a 15T front sprocket and only about 10% highway at 80-85 on IH35 and running the engine at around 8k if i remember correctly, thats not running the motor to fast for 20-30 mins??

aid-90

Reaction score
Visit site
80-85 is only cruising in top gear!

slight thread hijack ;)

my bike is restricted to 33bhp by means of a throttle stop( 1/4 turn max)
the fazer still goes pretty fast!
0-60 mph in about 6 seconds or so.
the revs stop dead at 7k rpm, its is possible to get the revs up higher in the lower gears alright!

with nearly 100bhp on tap the fazer is made for high speed riding, although high speed vibes will surely limit this :Flip:
frequent quality oil and filter changes are the most important factor in ensuring that your fazer runs sweet :thumbup:

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
As long as you keep up with basic maintenance, you can rev the crap out of the engine all day long and it will never give you any problems. I've always driven my vehicles hard and taken care of them even harder. Never had a problem.