Play in throttle

tjohalloran1994

Reaction score
Visit site
How much play is there supposed to be in the throttle? I can twist it about 1/4 inch before anything happens. Is this good or bad? How do i change this?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
How much play is there supposed to be in the throttle? I can twist it about 1/4 inch before anything happens. Is this good or bad? How do i change this?

Its a little too much play.

At the throttle housing, (underneath) there's a round plastic lock nut and a smaller round-long adjuster. Loosen the locknut, then turn the long nut CC, this will take up the play in the cable as it extends outward. Make sure when turning the steering from lock to lock, it DOES NOT RAISE THE IDLE-definitly too tight. Re-lock the locknut.

Yamaha spec's call for .12-.20" measured with the grip FREE PLAY, back and forth before it does anything..

I have mine adjusted a little tighter than spec's, I don't want any extra play, its easier to manage the throttle while under way. IMHO, adjust it until your comfy with it, as long as its NOT TO TIGHT, (again, it shouldn't raise the idle if you turn the handle bars).

Note: there is another cable adjustment on the left side of the throttle bodies but its a PIA to get to and the upper adjustment should take care of it

As for if its good or bad, it just makes riding/the controls sloppy. With it tighter, it'll be easier to control the throttle as well as shifting. You'll notice the difference...

If you need a shop manual (Yamaha PDF file), PM me with your regular e-mail address and the year bike.. It has all the spec's, how to, etc's in it..

Last edited: