New rider - looking for riding gear, retailer recommendations

surfinwind

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Everyone :)

I just got my FZ6 2006 bike in blue/black :D Being a new rider too, need to get the gear. I'm 6'2 at 180lb and need helmet/jacket/gloves/pants/boots. Looking around the local stores I realized that I may need to opt for online due to lack of selection/sizes locally.

Please recommend some credible retailers/brands and sizes if possible to look into.
Thank you in advance :)

Mike

surfinwind

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Everyone :)

I just got my FZ6 2006 bike in blue/black :D Being a new rider too, need to get the gear. I'm 6'2 at 180lb and need helmet/jacket/gloves/pants/boots. Looking around the local stores I realized that I may need to opt for online due to lack of selection/sizes locally.

Please recommend some credible retailers/brands and sizes if possible to look into.
Thank you in advance :)

Mike

Also, wanted to note that I'm looking to ride in 50 - 70 F weather, for now...

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome:surfinwind! To the best forum on the net!

There are many choices and avenues. Cycle Gear seems to have a lot of local stores. Check out their website and also check out sponsors here on this site for great deals. You're probably gonna want to try stuff on so search and see what's local stores you have to try stuff on.

Again welcome!

ngsm13

Reaction score
Visit site
I spent weeks looking around online, in fact I started looking before I even bought my bike. It's tough sometimes to get the exact size you need without trying things on though, so I recommend at least trying to get ideas on sizing locally.

The two place I bought from, and had great experiences with (even with returning) were...

Motorcycle Superstore - Motorcycle Accessories and Motorcycle Gear (Had a wicked deal on scorpion Helmet)

They have decent prices, SUPER QUICK shipping, and a wide selection.

Motorcycle Helmets & Gear - Buy Shoei, Arai Helmets and More at Compacc

I picked up some Sliders jeans here, along with may jacked, gloves and boots. They had slightly better prices on a few items, and also I was able to find some online promo code to use. Shipping was fair and timely, not as insanely quick as the above though.

Good luck.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.

First of all, make sure you have your M endorsement. If you don't have one, taking the MSF is the quickest and easiest way to earn your license.

Since you are a new rider, I strongly suggest that you actually go to a store, and try on the gear. The sales people will be able to assist you on how the gear should fit. You may think it's the correct size, but remember you have to consider that most of the time, you will be in a riding position so you have to account for that so make sure you leave a couple of extra inches. I find that purchasing gear online is rather dfficult for new riders.

I recommend finding a Cycle Gear if they have a location near you, plus they offer a 15% discount to all MSF Graduates.

TeacherJoe

Reaction score
Visit site
Welcome. +1 on New Enough. I really like this Scorpion Hat Trick jacket. I got it in red for $105 shipped from motorcycle superstore.

2009_Scorpion__Black_Blue.jpg

Joe

MoeDog

Reaction score
Visit site
I am too looking for gear, But for winter cold weather I just dont know what to choose their is so many options to choose from. what do you guys use for Cold weather ?

lomax

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is my setup for really cold weather. Not Alaska type stuff but possible below zero here in Colorado.

I have the BMW thermal underwear tops and bottom. such as here for example.

San Diego BMW Motorcycles

I then put on my heated tour master jacket, pants, and gloves as seen here.

MotoGear Outlet - Motorcycle Jackets

To top if off I have a First Gear Kilimanjaro air jacket and First Gear overpants. as seen here.

FirstGear Kilimanjaro Air Motorcycle Jacket

and here.

Cycle Gear - FIRSTGEAR: HT Overpants, BLACK

This way I am always dressed in layers and can remove and add as needed.

A good polar fleece balaclava rounds it all out if the air under the helmet gets too cold.

Hey you aksed. :D

Marc

BH322893

Pastry Chef
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.HarpersBakery.net
+1 for NewEnough

I just ordered a new scorpian helmet from Reuben there at 50% off. The team there is great at making us fz6ers happy, I chose them due to the high raves from other members here.