Making Movies, Hollywood Style...

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
What’s everyone using to produce their videos? I’ve got Pinnacle Studio 11 and it works like crap with the AVI files my onboard DVR records. This production was made with Microsoft’s Moviemaker. Anyone using Roxio Creator or others that would be good?

[googlevid]-4648234496394235352[/googlevid]​

Last edited:
i use Ulead Video Studio 8 to edit and roxio easy video creator 9 to make dvd's and convert videos...im very happy with them,,i had an older version of pinnacle, never liked it

Ouch, that Adobe Premier is some serious $$$ but I'm sure it does a great job. I was looking at the Roxio Easy Media Creator 10. Maybe it'll be a lemon like the Pinnacle Studio 11.

The problem that I'm encountering on the PS11, is rendering the AVI file which I believe is DivX4/5. The file plays fine in Media Player 11 and 9 times out of 10 renders in Movie Maker. PS11 freezes play after a couple of seconds and additional scenes are green.

I think it's a PS11 issue but it bothers me that the Moviemaker does it sometimes too. However, I'm evaluating the "4U AVI Mpeg Converter" software for 20 days and PS11 seems to work better when the AVI is converted to MPEG before I bring it into PS11.

Whoever has a descent movie maker software package, can you try rendering this raw AVI file and tell me if your package works, and without the freezing?

AVI File (9MB)

Thanks. :thumbup:

I don't know if this'll help at all, but I have PS11 (Version 11.1.2.5231), and I was able to render your AVI as a .WMV and a .MPG w/ no probs. Do you have latest updates? Are you using any other advanced features or settings?

Ouch, that Adobe Premier is some serious $$$ but I'm sure it does a great job. I was looking at the Roxio Easy Media Creator 10. Maybe it'll be a lemon like the Pinnacle Studio 11.

The problem that I'm encountering on the PS11, is rendering the AVI file which I believe is DivX4/5. The file plays fine in Media Player 11 and 9 times out of 10 renders in Movie Maker. PS11 freezes play after a couple of seconds and additional scenes are green.

I think it's a PS11 issue but it bothers me that the Moviemaker does it sometimes too. However, I'm evaluating the "4U AVI Mpeg Converter" software for 20 days and PS11 seems to work better when the AVI is converted to MPEG before I bring it into PS11.

Whoever has a descent movie maker software package, can you try rendering this raw AVI file and tell me if your package works, and without the freezing?

AVI File (9MB)

Thanks. :thumbup:

OK ,I used my software which is Ulead Video Studio 8.0 and rendered your clip to "wmv" and "mpg" with no problems

here are the links for those videos :

biker_wmv

biker_mpg

the problem might be not the software you are usin but the missing codecs that you may need,,you should download a full video codec pack and install to your computer first..like "K-lite Full Codec Pack"
it might solve your problem

I don't know if this'll help at all, but I have PS11 (Version 11.1.2.5231), and I was able to render your AVI as a .WMV and a .MPG w/ no probs. Do you have latest updates? Are you using any other advanced features or settings?

Yup, same version I have. Pinnacle Support told me to udate my video driver. I have the latest. I have been trying earlier versions of the driver with no luck. Here I thought 1), the DVR that I have records in a foreign AVI format, or 2) Pinnacle is a POS (I had PS9 before I uprgaded, didn't work for that one so I switched to PS11).

I was hoping someone else couldn't get it to work and I would just go out and get Creator 10. Guess that's not going to solve my problem either.

Thanks. for checking.

OK ,I used my software which is Ulead Video Studio 8.0 and rendered your clip to "wmv" and "mpg" with no problems

here are the links for those videos :

biker_wmv

biker_mpg

the problem might be not the software you are usin but the missing codecs that you may need,,you should download a full video codec pack and install to your computer first..like "K-lite Full Codec Pack"
it might solve your problem

Hey tolgatt, thanks for trying it for me. I'm not sure what to try next as I have all the codecs. You would think if Media Player can show it, any rendering software can manipulate it. I guess not. My dad has the same PS11 on his computer with almost the same configuration. I should head over there and try it on his comp.

Thanks again! :thumbup:

I teach Video Production and use Final Cut Pro. It takes some effort to learn but its a professional application. I would suggest Avid or Adobe Premier

Avid? Comon man, Avid costs like $5k, and requires professional hardware to run... like a $2k graphic card and some serious cpu/ram horsepower :) I don`t think he needs this... Premiere Pro is a step down in terms of hardware requirements, but still too complicated for the average Joe imo.

I have played with Pinnacle, Ulead, Vegas and Cyberlink's Power Director and I would definitely recommend the latter for simple home projects.

About Pinnacle freezing, I`d bet it`s a conflict created by your computer (hardware/software) and not Pinnacle...

Good luck!

Back