making custom offset sliders- question

GravisMaximus

Reaction score
Visit site
hi again, well if you dont know already i put on the factory full fairing kit for my 07 back in 2007, and have attempted to install sliders. the factory fairing kit is right in the way so i would have to cut the 800.00 fairings :Flip: no way. so i have searched for offset sliders to avoid the cutting, so far i have come up with 0 company's making them. so i figure the next best thing is to make them myself, and i would like some tech advise. the normal slider simply bolts into an existing hole in frame, so i plan on getting some T6-7075 plate, drilling 2 holes in it one for the frame bolt the other for the slider bolt. the aluminum plate of course would move the position of the slider so i don't have to cut the fairing. my question is how thick should the plate be? i know that a offset slider will never be as strong as a frame mounted one but its better than nothing. whats your ideas :thumbup:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
The first thing to know is the amount of offset needed. The farther offset it is, the stronger (thicker) the metal will need to be.

I wouldn't do anything less than 1/4". 1/2" would be even better.

Also consider that the sliding forces may try to rotate your offset bracket, which may cause it to swing around and smash into the fairing pieces. Some way of keeping it from rotating would be a good thing.

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
thanks for the idea about it rotating :thumbup:, pehaps a splined bolt would be wise. the offset will be about 2". any other ideas

Can you post a picture of the mounting area? It's hard to render an opinion without seeing how the fairing covers the motor mounts.

I'm pretty surprised that Yamaha didn't think about sliders when they designed that fairing lower.

Fred

GravisMaximus

Reaction score
Visit site
i checked out your reply,

i ended up using a 07 r1 no cut slider made from t-rex because they use a steel (powder coated) bracket so its stronger than the aluminum brackets.