Looking for FZ6 riders in Gatineau area

Sollyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

This might sound a little desperate, but I wonder if anyone lives in the Ottawa Gatineau area?

I don`t have my full licence yet so I need someone to ride with .

Anyone?

Salut a tous,

Je voulais savoir si il y avais des riders dans le coin de Gatineau/Ottawa.
Ca peut sembler un peux teteux, mais j`ai pas mon full permis encore et j`aimerais me pratiquer.

Merci d`avance!

Sol:thumbup:

matt.fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there,
Just curious what you ended up doing? Did you find someone or a group to ride with? I'm in the same situation as you, and still can't ride alone.

seacliff

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey there,
Just curious what you ended up doing? Did you find someone or a group to ride with? I'm in the same situation as you, and still can't ride alone.

Are you from the region as well? if so, you should check http://www.moto-outaouais.org/

They offer organised ride every saturday and offer to pick you up / night or weekend ride with someone else until you pass your exam.

They`re a nice group of people :)

Contact me if they don`t have anyone to help you out.. I may be able to arrange some things once in a while until the season ends.

matt.fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya I'm in the Aylmer side of Gatineau. I did hear about the moto outaouais, and have heard good things about them. I do have a few buddies that come around for a tour, but I was just curious what you ended up doing? What abouts are you?

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Sorry to go in a different direction... but whats this requirement in Quebec? without a full license you have to always ride in a group? I've never heard of that

matt.fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Quebec has a funny way of doing things. Their 6R (M1) is only good to be used in a mandatory driver's ed course. Once you're done that, you have to do a closed course practical test to get your 6A learner's license (M2). With the learner's license, you can go on public roads, but on when you're with another licensed rider (using their own bike). We're stuck with this license for 11 months, and then we can do an open road practical test to get our full 6A license (M). With this system, you can only drive alone when you have your full license. So much easier in Ontario.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow that would be awful, I can literally go and write a test in 20 minutes and come out legal to ride alone on the road (not that I did, took a course and whatnot). I couldn't imagine having to wait 11 months to get out on my own though

matt.fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya it's a bit of a pain, and I'm regretting having not done my licensing in Ontario and then just transferring it over when I moved over here. But unfortunately not much I can do. At least with this way, they make 100% sure you know the basics before getting on the streets :)

seacliff

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya I'm in the Aylmer side of Gatineau. I did hear about the moto outaouais, and have heard good things about them. I do have a few buddies that come around for a tour, but I was just curious what you ended up doing? What abouts are you?

That's what I did 3 years ago. Joined them, and I was riding twice during the evening on week days, and pretty much all saturday (all day rides).

I am still with them btw. Great people and very well organized.

Something else that you may not know is, if you join them, you also join the FMQ, which offers some great insurance deal too! :)

Ya it's a bit of a pain, and I'm regretting having not done my licensing in Ontario and then just transferring it over when I moved over here. But unfortunately not much I can do. At least with this way, they make 100% sure you know the basics before getting on the streets

I would disagree with you.. the course teach you how to pass the exam.. not how to drive, and that 'you can't drive alone for 11 months' thingy is just plain stupid.. most people wait after their 11 months.. pass the exam and then start riding alone.. which defy any benefit you may gain from riding with experienced riders.

SAAQ are talking about removing that rule and possibly incorporate some progression rules instead. TBD I guess :)

matt.fz6

Reaction score
Visit site
No I agree that it may not teach you how to drive, but as a first time rider, it certainly gave me the basics, and I would have not wanted to be on the road without having done the course. Doing away with the 11 months things would be the best idea in my opinion. I'm not entirely convinced that the majority of ppl are respecting the need to ride with a partner anyways.

I will definitely look into the outaouais group, sounds like a pretty well organized group :)

elus1ve

Reaction score
Visit site
I have learned a LOT riding in group while I waited for the final test. Only problem is that they were mostly bad habits , which took some effort to forget for the exam.

Not that I recommend it but you should be fine doing solo riding on small and city roads. I also did a lot of solo riding during that time. Been riding in front of police cars many times and no one cared to stop me. Unfortunately I did get caught but it was on the highway. Highway cops do systematic checks :(

I wouldn't mind riding with ya but I'm in mtl so a bit far.

seacliff

Reaction score
Visit site
Ya mtl is a bit far :) but I'm sure with the ppl around here that I know, and this outaouais riding group, I should be all set.

The group is really security centric and a few will actually ride with you (a week our 2 prior to your exam)in preparation of the exam. See that as a confidence builder :)