Intro to myself and maybe a little insight to a problem i have; exhaust header assembly $$$!!

pearlplayer88

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, my names Steven Williams from KY, I've got a (half of one anyway) 2009 Fz6 I bought about a year ago. Also I'm a little new to these forums so if i do anything idiotic just let me know lol. Anyways here is my situation for the most part in it's entirety. Last month I was riding through a local town where i live and an UNLICENSED and UNINSURED driver failed to yield right of way as I was going through the intersection, and of course I plowed into the side of her. Luckily all I got was a little road rash, however i'm now in the process of eating all the repairs on my bike as all i had was liabity.
Now for the technical mumbo jumbo. To sum it all up, I borrowed an 09 r6 (not r6s) exhaust header assembly and from what i've gathered researching the header itself and flanges will fit no problem however the resonance chamber/ collectors will hit on the oil pan. My question(s) is that
1. if I were to get an r6 oil pan, would it mate to my block? or would it be simpler to get an 04-06 fz6 assembly and have an o2 plug welded to it?
2. would i need a power commander for it to properly function without the cats? or with the r6 exhaust?
Of course I'm open to any suggestions or ideas... anything really. Safe riding all!!

skooter65

Mainah'
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
First things First: Welcome to the Forum!!:welcome:

Second: I am glad to hear that you came out of the crash mostly unscathed. Sounds like things could have been much worse with the way that you described the collision.

Before I attempt to answer your questions; May I ask why not just use a header from a 2007 - 2009 model instead of trying to retrofit? Seems like this would be a cheaper/easier solution as you would not have to buy additional parts or have anything fabricated to make it work.

~Scott

DownrangeFuture

Electronic Repair Genius
Reaction score
Visit site
1.) I agree with scooter. If you want the retrofit, cool, but why not just get the header pipe for the FZ6?
2.) It will run okay just a little lean, but you can bump the fuel delivery up a hair or two from the gauge cluster. Instructions can be found on this forum somewhere.