Intermittent stalling (again)

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Recently I’ve been riding and suddenly without warning the engine just dies. Sometimes it seems to happen rapidly almost unoticeably and doesnt require me to restart.

Started about 3 days ago and its been getting worse. Now it will just die randomly while riding, ill pull the clutch in quickly and can fire it up again while still moving and continue on but its obviously scary when you go to throttle or shift and you get nothing. Its died a couple times idling at a light. Im fortunate it didnt happen at higher speeds but today is my last ride until I sort it out.

I checked the battery connections today, everything is clean, tight and fine.

I dissembled and cleaned the kill switch extensivly not too long ago when a similar problem arose, so it makesme think its not that, but the symptoms are very similar.

Bike always fires up again no problem after it goes out. Maybe a short or loose connection somewhere???

thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Also sometimes instead of the engine dying it feels like it just cut in and out real fast, and i get a little jerk forward but the bike will stay on

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Also sometimes instead of the engine dying it feels like it just cut in and out real fast, and i get a little jerk forward but the bike will stay on

Odd. As far as I can recall, there are only 2 switches designed to kill the engine. Aside from the BRS (Big Red Switch), the sidestand switch is there to kill the engine if in gear and stand down. Don't know the history odlf sidestand switch failures, but put it on your list of suspects.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Don't know the history odlf sidestand switch failures, but put it on your list of suspects.

Thanks for the advice, last time I cleaned my chain I took the side stand switch apart and cleaned all the contacts with the same vigor as the kill switch

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
But yah I tell you it certainly seems like a kill switch problem

Maybe Ill just do a bypass on both switches and see what happens? Worst case is I get some information and can rule them out for good

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
Also some other information:

Bike feels sluggish in general, especially revving up in 2nd. It feels like its trying to ‘catch’ and theres not much pull

Started getting vibrations in the footpegs about 1-2 weeks ago, above what im used to

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
But yah I tell you it certainly seems like a kill switch problem

Maybe Ill just do a bypass on both switches and see what happens? Worst case is I get some information and can rule them out for good

Plus 1 ^^^. Rule at least the red kill switch out...

Also, the TIP OVER SWITCH (under the right pod) will kill the engine too (if tipped over). Just make sure that's secure as well.

Lastly, check the battery connections, especially that the red plastic cover is NOT in-between the cable and terminal.

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere.. Perhaps remove the ECU plug, inspect, (check for any wires NOT fully plugged in) clean, etc.

Cliff, would corrosion at the main fuse have any effect or any other fuses for the ignition?

Did you, or can you check the gauges and see if your loosing ALL power to the display.

It's also possible a bad/worn connection in the ignition switch COULD BE KILLING power to the bike (as if turning off).
A squirt of electrical contact cleaner down in the ignition switch (battery disconnected), and the key turned back and forth to clean the terminals internally wouldn't hurt.

*I just recently used this product: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MG-Chemica...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 on both my boat ignition switch (12 years old-occasional non-crank) and on two stereo volume controls. Cleans and lubricates. It FIXED both stereo's (which haven't worked in at least 10 years like new). The boat switch, takes a month or so of sitting to act up)..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus 1 ^^^. Rule at least the red kill switch out...

Also, the TIP OVER SWITCH (under the right pod) will kill the engine too (if tipped over). Just make sure that's secure as well.

Lastly, check the battery connections, especially that the red plastic cover is NOT in-between the cable and terminal.

Sounds like a bad connection somewhere.. Perhaps remove the ECU plug, inspect, (check for any wires NOT fully plugged in) clean, etc.

Cliff, would corrosion at the main fuse have any effect or any other fuses for the ignition?

Did you, or can you check the gauges and see if your loosing ALL power to the display.

It's also possible a bad/worn connection in the ignition switch COULD BE KILLING power to the bike (as if turning off).
A squirt of electrical contact cleaner down in the ignition switch (battery disconnected), and the key turned back and forth to clean the terminals internally wouldn't hurt.

*I just recently used this product: https://www.ebay.com/itm/MG-Chemica...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 on both my boat ignition switch (12 years old-occasional non-crank) and on two stereo volume controls. Cleans and lubricates. It FIXED both stereo's (which haven't worked in at least 10 years like new). The boat switch, takes a month or so of sitting to act up)..

There could be an intermittent open just about any where. Could be a solder connection at the bottom of the ignition switch. It could be in the harness section where the wire looms to the steering. Obvious would be at the area the wires bend. We had a member who pinched the wires in the steering stop and damaged the harness.

As already mentioned, Jump the kill switch to eliminate it and check the battery connections as we've had plenty of that as a cure.

I recently used that very same MG contact cleaner on a Carvin PA/mixer and also on an old Peavey guitar amp. It's worked miracles on potentiometers that were noisy and binding.

Intermittents are always fun with electrical and they are usually an easy fix but frustrating because it's a hide and seek game.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep, it's real good stuff, I'll always have a can in the garage..

Well, for the Op, put a large fan in front of the radiator, bike on the center stand and crank her up.

Start jiggling switches, ignition key, wiring, battery, etc and try to duplicate the failure.

Riding about causes vib's, etc, so don't be afraid tap and move some wires and other parts about till she acts up...

Might have to lift the tank, remove the side pods, fairing top covers (if equipped) to access everything.

Last edited:

cook.675

Reaction score
Visit site
I jumped the kill switch and just rode it for an hour and there were no issues...

I cleaned the living *%#! out of that thing a couple months ago its hard for me to believe thats what the issue was...

I tried pulling on the harnesses and shaking things while it was on and couldnt get it to turn off.

Still need a couple more rides before I can hang up my hat on this so ill report back soon

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I jumped the kill switch and just rode it for an hour and there were no issues...

I cleaned the living *%#! out of that thing a couple months ago its hard for me to believe thats what the issue was...

I tried pulling on the harnesses and shaking things while it was on and couldnt get it to turn off.

Still need a couple more rides before I can hang up my hat on this so ill report back soon

Excellent!!

Might just be not enough tension in the "spring" holding the contacts together.