How To DIY Quick turn throttle.

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
I did a bit of a search and came up with nothing...if this has been done before, Mods. please delete this post. :thumbup:

This is a quick and easy way to turn your 1/4 of a turn standard throttle, into a 1/6th of a turn quick throttle. I've done this mod to many R1's, CBR1000's and Gixxers.

I do this to do away with having to preload the throttle by grabbing it further around. This is especially helpful on a bike with so little torque, like the FZ.

I removed the throttle tube and checked it against an old 98-06 R1 tube I had...they're the same. So I couldn't cheat and just chuck that in! :D

20130324_204518_zpsb440084e.jpg

So I popped to the hardware store and picked up a PVC fitting with a slightly smaller inner diameter than the throttle cam.

20130325_095407_1_zps19bff592.jpg

I cut a slice off (7mm) and cut a section out to fit over the OEM tube, and glued it on with Aryldite.

20130325_103452_zpsc9574eeb.jpg

I cut a couple of slots in the first 5mm of PVC on each side of the cable retainers, to prevent stress to the cable where it meets the PVC. I forgot to take a pic of that...sorry!

I tried it in the housing and it just cleared, which means with the cables around it, it would drag. So I slimmed it down a bit on a linishing belt.

I backed the cables off as far as they would go, on the throttle bodies and at the housing on the bars.

Then I put it back together and adjusted the cable at the housing till it had no slack.

Before: 1/4 of a turn.

20130325_112235_zpsdbc6ec0e.jpg

20130324_203957_zps7ec8539e.jpg

After: 1/6th of a turn. (roughly)

20130325_112222_zpsd39d648f.jpg

It's that easy. :thumbup:

Last edited:

PosterFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Great mod!

I don't particularly find this to be a problem for my needs and my bike, but I am sure some of other peeps here will definitely try the mod.

It would do wonders on my brother's ex- Bandit.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
I did this to my old Ninja 250 which had a much further throttle pull than the FZ6. I don't find it necessary to do this to my bike, however it's always good to know it can be done so easily.

ctbandit

Fazer, don't even know er
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks!! Going to have to read this over to get more familiar but I was also searching for this and couldnt find anything.

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
No probs. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I'll get a ride on it tomorrow and tell you how it goes. :thumbup:

Last edited:

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you lose smoothness at low throttle with this mod? Seems it would make the bike more twitchy.

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
Do you lose smoothness at low throttle with this mod? Seems it would make the bike more twitchy.

I recently got rid of the OEM snatchy throttle response by fitting the Leo Vince system and a Dynojet PCIII.

I just got back from a decent test ride through the hills, every type of corner from sweepers to downhill hairpins.
This was my first ride since fitting a new S20r front tyre, a 15 tooth front sprocket and the 1/6th turn throttle.

The throttle response is superb, and the urgency of the engine is greatly improved. Not at all twitchy or snappy, because it's still the same old 100hp 600.
But the nature of the engine has shifted more towards an R6. Much tighter and more responsive and ultimately faster, about 20-30kms generally.

Unfortunately it shows up the weakness of the suspension and brakes, but that's a story for another day! :D

It's so different from the stock bike I bought 2 months ago, I'm thrilled with the improvements. :thumbup:

Last edited:

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
Just a quick update for those who are considering this mod....

My Mrs has had a couple of rides on the Fizzer since I fitted the 1/6th turn throttle, and as I predicted she has had no trouble adapting to it. She's had about 5 years riding experience to my 30+, and it hasn't been at all snatchy or jerky for her.

Because she doesn't really use the last 3rd of the throttle, she hasn't really exploited the advantage of the quick turn. For me it has transformed the bike into an eager corner eater...in fact..I'm fitting braided brake lines tomorrow to try and make the brakes good enough to use with one finger, like my R1's... It's very similar to the performance increase you get from lowering the gearing.

I had a thrap through the tight twisties on Easter Monday with a few mates, on an SP1, a CBR 1000 and an R1. The little Fizzer was untouchable!...I smoked 'em. I was scraping my toes in damp conditions!

I'm seriously impressed with this bike. :thumbup:

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
just so i understand you use the PVC to give you material to drill the holes in the same as the standard throttle cable holes in the OEM tube but so they are further around the tube?

Meaning the travel less for the throttle to be open full?

I am very interested but i know i would some how destroy my throttle tube lol im sure you can these also?

KingY

Reaction score
Visit site
ok i just did a Google search and you don't need to drill any more holes, the fact that the tube is greater in diameter means more cable used therefore less pull on the throttle?

veyron1001

Reaction score
Visit site
What is the diameter of the pipe and the thickness of the tube? My motorcycle is my only mode of transportation or id just pop it off and take it to Lowes.

carbonar1

....as a kite
Reaction score
Visit site
What is the diameter of the pipe and the thickness of the tube? My motorcycle is my only mode of transportation or id just pop it off and take it to Lowes.

The I.D. is 35 mm, the O.D. Is 42, which makes the wall thickness 7mm.

Last time I bought a bit of PVC, it was a joiner. Basically a straight tube with a small ridge in the centre for two 35 mm pipes to butt up against.

This time round they didn't have anything like it...and apparently never had, according to the sales assistant! So I got the threaded piece I pictured.